Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Noise On Braking

My NX 300h is 6 months old now and has done 5,000 miles. Everything is fine. I like the car except for one thing - noise on braking. For some time now I have been hearing grinding/screeching noise(not always) whenever I hit brake at low speed. It only happens when I hit it pretty hard and the noise actually seem to happen as i start to release the brake pedal. It is a strange noise to describe but i was just wondering if anyone else had a greater command of the english language especially to do with onomatopoeia to deescibe the sound.

More importantly, has anyone had this problem and had it fixed?

I may be imagining it but is it a hybrid issue?

If you search the IS300 section I'm pretty sure it's been commented on there. I think, but am not certain, that it is something to do with the hybrid braking system.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

This is normally because the hybrid energy recovery is providing most of the braking resistance so the mechanical brakes are just lightly scraping the discs. As a result the mechanical brakes may not be used that much and they rust/glaze making the noise worse. Try braking hard from speed a few times to really use the mechanical pads to help clear them up to see if that helps.

• Like 1

My NX 300h is 6 months old now and has done 5,000 miles. Everything is fine. I like the car except for one thing - noise on braking. For some time now I have been hearing grinding/screeching noise(not always) whenever I hit brake at low speed. It only happens when I hit it pretty hard and the noise actually seem to happen as i start to release the brake pedal. It is a strange noise to describe but i was just wondering if anyone else had a greater command of the english language especially to do with onomatopoeia to deescibe the sound.

The noise I get on my IS300h is like a creaking/groaning noise when moving off from a standstill. Only happens for a second or two if you very gently release the brake when creeping in traffic. Years ago the remedy was just good old Coppaslip on the back and edges of the pads.

Car parked outside by any chance? Rain will get on the rotors and rust which gives you that squeeky sound. Goes away if you brake hard on a traffic light once.

The noise I get on my IS300h is like a creaking/groaning noise when moving off from a standstill. Only happens for a second or two if you very gently release the brake when creeping in traffic. Years ago the remedy was just good old Coppaslip on the back and edges of the pads.

Possibly the same issue as I described above. My dealer recently removed all the pads, greased and cleaned the friction surfaces to try and stop that noise, which did work for a couple of weeks but now its back again. Need to give my own advise a go to see if it helps.

• 2 years later...
On 5/3/2015 at 2:20 PM, hunslet said:

I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a GS300h 6 month old, 3500 miles. I have the same braking problem. When the car was brand new, the brakes used to squeak when slowing down the car. A few months later, the squeaking sound is gone, replaced with a "cluncking" sound when lifting off from the brake pedal as I move off from stationary. The problem is more noticeable when moving off from a slope from stationary. I send the car to Lexus service, they said the car is fine with no problems, the clucking is due to the weight of the car... I was like what a load of nonsense?! They oiled all the brakes, I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow and hopefully the problem can be solved (I doubt). A luxury car with a major selling point being refinement and quietness should not have any noises like this. I read the posts above, some kindly suggested emergency stopping among other methods to mitigate the problem, but why? Why should we have to emergency-stop a LEXUS to get rid of a noise? If this problem does not get resolved by Lexus service, does anyone know who else I can go to? Many thanks in advance! By the way I'm happy with everything else about my car.

Pic of one of the discs from my sons GT-86. Three and half year old with 22,000 miles on the clock, plenty of meat left on the pads, but they were pretty tight and rusted in the mounting brackets which no doubt allowed the rust buildup. This type of thing is very common nowadays and garages rely on this being a regular income cash cow. Luckily for my wallet, £350 for a complete set of genuine Toyota pads and discs fitted by myself. I think it would have been in the region of £650 if taken to a dealer.

IMG_0134.JPG

The easy safe way of keeping the discs clear of rust on hybrids is to put the car into neutral on a downhill run and brake gently over as long a period as possible.

In neutral the regen braking is not used forcing the car to use the conventional hydraulic brakes. Doing this once or twice a month will keep the discs shiny. Once the rust has a hold it spreads across the disc surface rapidly. 

John

1 hour ago, C Mclean said:

Pic of one of the discs from my sons GT-86. Three and half year old with 22,000 miles on the clock, plenty of meat left on the pads, but they were pretty tight and rusted in the mounting brackets which no doubt allowed the rust buildup. This type of thing is very common nowadays and garages rely on this being a regular income cash cow. Luckily for my wallet, £350 for a complete set of genuine Toyota pads and discs fitted by myself. I think it would have been in the region of £650 if taken to a dealer.

IMG_0134.JPG

And a bit.

I get a weird noise when I brake. First time I heard it, I thought it was electrical interference over the stereo speakers. I'm not talking about the whooshing noise you get as you come to a standstill. Mine happens at all speeds and even when lightly touching the brakes. Only a slight noise but a bit weird nonetheless