Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300H As A Company Car - Dilema

Hi All

I am about to choose a company car and am considering the new IS300H Advance Model.

I current drive an Audi A4 2.0 TDie Technik - 2010 plate.

All the online reviews for the Lexus seem to suggest it's the perfect company car due to low Benefit In Kind (BIK). I had an IS300H for 4 days and found it ok to drive. It excelled in urban traffic but I found it a bit mentally exhausting on the motorway trying to optimise fuel economy. On the urban I managed about 45 MPG. On the motorway, I managed about 50-MPG - but at a push. In my current car, I can easily achieve 50MPG when on the motorway, but only about 35 MPG on the urban.

There is also a lot of ant-diesel rhetoric which worries me as successive governments forced us down the diesel route. There is nothing else on my choices list other than BMW and I am not keen in this brand.

Last year I did about 5000 business miles and 8000 personal miles.

Options:

1. Order the IS300h - Advance model - will be stuck with it for 4 years !

2. Choose another car i.e. diesel ( not Audi as not available on my list of choices )

3. Keep the Audi A4 - i.e. buy the current lease car and run it myself

I am not too concerned about the running costs as these will be picked up by the lease company.

Any advice appreciated as I must make a decision very soon.

Nick

Buy the Lexus. Drive it on the motorway and don't worry about the mpg being less than a diesel. Price of petrol is less, BIK is less, you get more for money with in car gadgets and it is quieter and way more refined than any diesel. Mine is costing me 11 to 12 pence per mile on fuel alone. My company is paying me the current hmrc rate which is 20 ppm, this offsets any issues on Mpg for me.

• Like 1

Hi All

I am about to choose a company car and am considering the new IS300H Advance Model.

I current drive an Audi A4 2.0 TDie Technik - 2010 plate.

All the online reviews for the Lexus seem to suggest it's the perfect company car due to low Benefit In Kind (BIK). I had an IS300H for 4 days and found it ok to drive. It excelled in urban traffic but I found it a bit mentally exhausting on the motorway trying to optimise fuel economy. On the urban I managed about 45 MPG. On the motorway, I managed about 50-MPG - but at a push. In my current car, I can easily achieve 50MPG when on the motorway, but only about 35 MPG on the urban.

There is also a lot of ant-diesel rhetoric which worries me as successive governments forced us down the diesel route. There is nothing else on my choices list other than BMW and I am not keen in this brand.

Last year I did about 5000 business miles and 8000 personal miles.

Options:

1. Order the IS300h - Advance model - will be stuck with it for 4 years !

2. Choose another car i.e. diesel ( not Audi as not available on my list of choices )

3. Keep the Audi A4 - i.e. buy the current lease car and run it myself

I am not too concerned about the running costs as these will be picked up by the lease company.

Any advice appreciated as I must make a decision very soon.

Nick

My IS300H Exec is a company car - had it now 7 months. Done 15K miles. Its contact hired, as is all our vehicles. It replaced a BMW 120D Sport auto. This in turn replaced a Passat estate (also an auto). I take the tax 'hit' on private mileage. Irrespective of anything (i.e BIK issues, reduced running costs etc) the Lexus is a much nicer place to be in all day. Its so nice to get away from diesel power. Hybrid is so relaxing, especially in heavy urban traffic. My driving is all within London and M25 motorway journeys. IMHO there is no contest.

• Like 1

That's not that many miles to get the full benefit but this is THE car to break all the company car rules. I'm doing 35K a year and coming to the end of my 1st year. I've no need to take any hit on tax because I more than make up for that on the fuel rate paid for a 2.5L Petrol. Even recently losing 4p per mile on the HMRC rates hasn't changed this, just not making as much :whistling:

Nick, I'm not a company car drive and have never had a diesel. My contribution to this thread is based on a number posts similar to yours that I've read since the IS300 was launched. There have been a fair few, and IMO the views expressed by BB and Ross are representative of those that have made the switch and come back to post. I can't recall anyone coming back saying what a nightmare and wished they had stuck with the diesel.

Good luck with your decision and please let us know what you end up doing!

We had a 2.2 Civic CDTi before the Lexus. The Lexus will return 45-50 mpg without too much trouble, but obviously the faster you go the lower the mpg. The Civic could achieve better mpg on the M way, but as you mentioned in any urban/traffic setting the mpg advantage swings back to the Lexus.

But a 5 mpg drop in M way efficiency is a small price to pay for the superb comfort/refinement of the Lexus compared to any diesel.

I hope we will be 'stuck' with ours for much longer than 4 years :)

Hi all, thanks for the replies. Looks like the Lexus wins hands down. Will give it some thought this week have to place an order next Monday. Looking at celestial black with either black or grey interior.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Car ordered today...wow what a decision.

I ordered an "Advance" model Sonic Titanium with Black interior. I was really stuck on the colour choice after going back to the dealer about 5 times.

Also, so many of my colleagues have stuck with Diesel and BMW..I had the choice of a 3 or 4 series but declined.

I hope it keeps me smiling for near on 4 years !

Nick

Congratulations and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Nor with the colour either, good choice IMO.

How many sleeps before delivery?

I had a free choice for my next lease, within self-imposed cost limit. Currently have C220, I'd almost settled on an Audi A6, then I received an email offering great terms on an IS300h......

Have to admit I'd never considered a Lexus, let alone a hybrid, being a long term diesel fan. But it didn't take long for me to be convinced, and I take delivery of an Advance in Arctic Pearl at the end of this month.

Malcolm

Just a word of warning about the driving experience of the IS300H though....

I was so amazed at how good/refined the 'EV" mode of the IS300H is compared to our old cars I just wanted more of it.....So after a bit of research I went out sold my 380bhp petrol BMW and swapped it for an all electric Nissan Leaf :msn-oh:

Haven't looked back since, and now saving up for something a bit quicker/nicer than the Leaf - So although the IS300H is saving us money in the short-term interms of been very cheap to run, persuaded me to get rid of my old oil burner but in the mid-term it's sent my our car budget out of the window when I upgrade from the Leaf....Stupid Hybrid drive, why does it have to be so refined :megaangry:

18743442278_ef599fcb94_c.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links