Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sub Key And Master, Locksmith, Ecu

Hi all

I am looking for a recommendation for a locksmith who has experience of resetting a Lexus ECU to accept new keys. There is discussion of this on US forums, but not much for UK.

Lexus have supplied me with a new master key but can't make it work because I don't have an existing master. Their solution is a new ECU, at considerable expense. Interestingly, the technician who told me this this morning said I wasn't even the first person he had had to give this message this week. They can reprogram more recent cars, but not mine without an existing master. This makes me think other people will have found a way.

here is an example of some US commentary:

I am a locksmith and run into this all the time, never, never go to a dealer for key problems with a Toyota or Lexus, unless you want to pay out the *****.

On the 01-02 Sequoia, the immobilizer system is built into the ECU. Luckily for you they are resetable using a scan tool with the proper software. You should never have to replace the computer on any Toyota/Lexus when you lose keys.

All of them can be reset to accept new keys (most dealers don't know this, so don't ask them). Some can be done with scan tools, some require removal of the ECU or Immobilizer unit and can be reflashed to accept new keys. I do it all the time, I reflash them for my local dealers and auctions, this is a hell of alot cheaper than replacing the ECU at $1100+

Anyone?

Jon

hi jon looks like it has been done here - just a question of spending some time on the internet

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/69277-lost-master-key-ecu-reflash/

Thanks Mark

I have done quite a lot of searching. That member is no longer active and as he said, it took a while to find someone. I am confident there are people out there, just looking for a recomendation

Jon

The earlier LS400 models were fairly easy to do in that there is an 8 pin plug in chip (integrated circuit) in the remote ECU in the boot.

New key sets (when they were still available) came with a new matching chip so it was remove the old one,fit the new one and the system worked without any other further programming.

Progress Eh :)

Could you not get a set of keys/locks/ecu from a scrap car? It's a fair bit of faffing changing all the locks over etc, but most certainly cheaper than getting stuffed by a Lexus dealer!

(that's if you don't have any luck programming the existing ECU that is!)

Best of luck

The earlier LS400 models were fairly easy to do in that there is an 8 pin plug in chip (integrated circuit) in the remote ECU in the boot.

New key sets (when they were still available) came with a new matching chip so it was remove the old one,fit the new one and the system worked without any other further programming.

Progress Eh :)

That all changed when the immobiliser became integrated into the main engine ECU, and because Toyota engine ECUs have historically been non-programmable to meant it needed to be replaced. I thought this changed in late 2000 with the new LS430 and facelift GS where firmware updates were possible including key programming. I'm sure I've seen information on the use of Techstream where the dealer needs to obtain a one-time key from head office to unlock the program functionality - maybe that was just in the US and not for European vehicles, or perhaps dealers here just like selling ECUs.

Jon

There may be a way round this.

I had a similar problem of Lexus being unable to programme a key for my 1996 LS400 but the dealer put me in touch with a guy called John of Panick Keys who was based in Wolverhampton. He managed to programme a key off the key I had which I thought was a master key but which turned out not to be.

The dealer used him when they had problems with keys that they could not solve and he was very good.

His contact details are in a post I put on this Forum on 19 September 2014. You should be able to easily find this if you do a search on the Forum for Colin M. This turns up posts I have made and that particular post Is on the second page.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Colin

OK, Jon, I hope John at Panick Keys can do something for you.

I will be interested to know the outcome.

Cheers

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

OK, John at panic keys was not convinced he could do anything with a Smart key, but said he would talk to some fellow locksmiths and see if anyone else knew anything. Meanwhile I got a strong recommendation for a guy close to me in Malvern, who I went to see yesterday.

It's interesting spending time with a locksmith, as they do a lot of thinking, while being regularly interrupted by people with emergencies. I also learnt quite a lot. What I thought of as a key actually has 5 functions. The plastic shell and the metal blade physically turn the ignition and the door locks respectively. A chip inside communicates with the immobiliser to enable the engine to start, and then there are separate functions for remote unlocking (press the button) and proximity unlocking.

Anyway the upshot was a partial positive. My new master key is now recognised as a master by the car and I drove home on it. It allowed me to reset functions on the dashboard computer like elapsed time, which the valet key does not. But it is not communicating with the vehicle for either unlocking method. So my next step is back to the dealer to see if they are now able to help via Techstream.

I will keep you posted in case this is relevant to anyone else.

Jon

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links