Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Motor Solenoid Overhaul

Description

GS and probably others.

Disclaimer: As always, this is a guide only and I accept no responsibility for any damage or injury that maybe sustained through following these guidelines.

Tools required:

• flat blade screwdriver
  • 7mm socket or spanner
  • 12mm socket or spanner
  • 14mm socket or spanner

This turorial assumes the starter motor has been removed from the vehicle. This particular procedure was from my 1996 Mk1 GS300 Sport. All Mk1's should be the same. Other Mk GS's I would think are similar. IS's, RX's and LS's may be similar also but not sure.

1. Tools

1.JPG

2. Repair kit. These can be sourced from ebay for about £10. Check ebay listing and starter part number for compatibility of the repair kit. Kit contains actuator, two contacts, o-ring and contact mount.

2.JPG

3. The starter motor. Pictured from both sides showing the two contact sets for the maon wiring.

3.JPG

4.JPG

4. The rear cover of the solenoid. Remove the three bolts with your 7mm socket or spanner.

5.JPG

Remove the cover

6.JPG

5. Withdraw the actuator. Remove the spring from the actuator shaft and place on new actuator

New and old actuator

7.JPG

6. 1st contact set. Remove the 14mm nut using your socket or spanner. Push the bolt down into the solenoid case.

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

7. contact set removed from solenoid casing.

All together

11.JPG

Seperated showing order of components

12.JPG

The New and old contact. Quite a large step worn in the old contact.

13.JPG

8. Re-assemble in the reverse order using new oring seal and contact mount and contact.

14.JPG

9. 2nd contact. Pull back rubber boot to expose the 12mm nut, remove with socket or spanner. Move contact wire to one side.

15.JPG

Remove 14mm nut which is now exposed.

16.JPG

10. Push bolt back through solenoid housing. This set cannot be removed completely as part of the wiring is soldered on.

17.JPG

18.JPG

11. remove contact.

New and old contact with ridge worn into old contact.

19.JPG

12. Re-assemble in reverse order.

20.JPG

13. Insert new actuator.

21.JPG

14. Replace the back cover ensuring the rubber seal is seated correctly.

22.JPG

15. Job done smile.gif

Extra Fields

General

• Tools Used?
    flat blade screwdriver 7mm socket or spanner 12mm socket or spanner 14mm socket or spanner

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.