Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Inlet Manifold Cleaning

Description

Removal of Inlet Manifold for Cleaning (Carbon Deposits)

I posted this a while back but I forgot to post in this section. I've added a few photos at the bottom as well. 

First off, I am not a mechanic so my terminology may annoy some of you!

I did this as i was getting a lack of power at about 2500revs mainly in higher gears. It has improved dramatically. Fuel efficiency seems to have improved but only slightly so I can't say for sure. 

For this guide, I refer to right and left as you stand at the front of the vehicle looking into the engine. I know this is not the norm so apologies if confusing. Front refers to the front of the car as standard.

Also, the elec. connectors are the biggest pain in the &%$£. Trying to squeeze the clip and pull at the same time is so difficult as they are usually well stuck in place being nine years old! Don’t give up!

Job time – 10 hours over two days (I didn’t have a guide so hopefully you will do it faster – it would take me about 6 hours if I did it again)

Set up tools, bench, laptop, etc. (1 hour)

Disassembly (5 hours)

Cleaning (2 hours)

Reassembly (2 hours)

Basic tools are required but just having a good socket set is very important. Not necessary to jack up vehicle but would help. I drove the front wheels up on 3inch blocks.

This is the order I did it in, you may want to do it a little differently. I include headings for the most part but in general this order worked well.

Here we go!...

Covers:

Remove primary engine cover

Remove RH engine cover

Remove LH engine cover

Remove front engine cover

Remove under engine covers (x2)

Battery:

Disconnect battery terminals

Remove battery horizontal support brace

Disconnect the electrical connection on the LH side of the battery cover

Remove battery cover

Remove battery

Remove base cover of battery

Remove battery vertical support brace

Remove control module under battery (x3 bolts – long one goes on RH side)

Disconnect 3 elec. connectors on control module

Remove bottom battery case (x3 bolts)

EGR:

Remove EGR pipe and gaskets

Disconnect EGR elec. connector

Remove EGR valve

Radiator:

Open radiator cap and drain ***** (have bucket ready to take ~5 litres)

Drain fluid

Remove air intake duct above radiator

Disconnect inlet and outlet pipes of radiator fluid reservoir tank

Remove reservoir tank

Various:

Disconnect fuse box wire harness clips (x2)

Disconnect common rail front end elec. connector

Disconnect common rail fuel supply hose

Disconnect common rail rear end elec. connector

Remove wire harness support bolts (x2)

Various:

Disconnect EGR valve rear end elec. connector

Remove five wire harness clips (red arrows)

Remove harness support (green arrow)

Remove sponge adjacent to EGR valve

Lexus 01.png

Various:

Remove bolts (x3) on water pipe (blue arrow) below EGR assembly

Remove clip at front end of pipe and slide hose off

Remove vacuum hose (small) from water pipe (underneath)

Remove elec. connector under vacuum hose & remove clip also (hard to see but you’ll know it has to be disconnected)

Push hose assembly out of the way – towards battery area (no need to fully disconnect)

Lexus 02.png

Air Flow (Throttle) Assembly:-

Disconnect three elec. connectors on air flow unit

Remove bolt on air flow unit

Lexus 03.png

Common Rail:-

Remove common rail bolt (x2)

Remove common rail fuel lines

Protect (tissue) the common rail connectors & ports

Remove common rail and keep clean

Inlet Manifold:

Disconnect vacuum hose from inlet manifold

Remove inlet manifold upper stay bolt (it’s a vertical support that can be hard to see)

Remove air flow pipe to inlet manifold (1 clip also) (difficult to remove for me but keep twisting and pulling – there is a lip to overcome)

Loosen inlet manifold lower stay nut (very difficult to access – hard to even see. This was the most awkward part of the whole job. You should really disconnect for easier access but it would be impossible to get it back on – loosening and pushing it aside was fine for me) See diagram below.

Remove bolts (~x9) on intake manifold

Remove intake manifold

Lexus 04.png

Cleaning:

Clean inlet manifold – I used a power hose, carburettor cleaner, screwdriver for scraping & kitchen paper.

Clean inlet ports – as above but I used a hoover continuously to prevent as much carbon as possible entering the valves/cylinders

Reinstall in reverse – much easier than disassembly!

Prime the fuel system. 

Photos:

Photo 1 - Inlet ports exposed after inlet manifold clean. Of the four ports showing, the first has been cleaned mostly, the second is as found, and the third and fourth have some cleaning done. Highly recommend using a hoover if scraping any carbon from here. Otherwise just coat with carburetor cleaner and wipe away with a cloth.

20160507_195518.jpg

Photo 2 - Inlet manifold removed. Condition hard to see but constriction increases further into the ports. 

20160507_195456.jpg

Photo 3 - Inlet ports - two untouched and two partially cleared. 

20160508_141012.jpg

Extra Fields

General

• Time Taken?
    10 Hours
  • Tools Used?
    Socket Set
  • List Parts Used?
    Carburetor Cleaner (2 cans)
  • Costs?
    £15 (€20)
  • Difficulty Level? 1-5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 6/6/2017 at 5:13 PM, Monocle said:

Looks like a good way to go! But I don't have a blow torch or compressed air handy!:smile:

Hi Monocle, 

Thanks for the tutorial , I still unsure about the procedure, could you let me know why do you need to flush the radiator?

Hi @Coolissimo!

You are right to ask. It is a while since I did this but I know you have to remove the reservoir tank so at least that much of the system will need to be drained. I think I replaced the coolant at the same time hence the full drain. But, simple answer, just empty the reservoir and you should be fine!

On 1/26/2018 at 11:00 AM, Monocle said:

Hi @Coolissimo!

You are right to ask. It is a while since I did this but I know you have to remove the reservoir tank so at least that much of the system will need to be drained. I think I replaced the coolant at the same time hence the full drain. But, simple answer, just empty the reservoir and you should be fine!

Hi Monocle,

Thanks for the answer .How did you took off the sponge , and  did you install it again? And btw where did you get the manual? Do you think you could provide me the link too?

Thanks in advanced.

I could be wrong but I think the sponge is just held in by the EGR. Honestly can't remember but definitely not anything to worry about. 

I bought it on a disk on eBay. No link unfortunately. Only about a fiver. Well worth it.