Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

^ This 100%. I specced up a S E Hybrid to my exact spec and it came to £76540 . Have to pay extra for bluetooth and 3rd year warranty. I mean seriously wtf?!

Had a very short test drive today and this thing is seriously heavy. Weighs nearly 300kgs over the standard one. Average mpg for the 45 minute test drive was 35.5mpg ( Leeds city centre, M621 and then back). The dealer said he had fully charged the car.

Also the delivery date quoted for an individually specced car is ....... May 2016. Maybe he knew I wasn't committed to buying so wasn't really bothered. The lead time for a Macan is even worse.

Will now wait till July for full specs and pricing. Then its either a yes or just accept the whining kids in the back!

Yeah Porsche are seriously stingy on the options lol. It seems nowadays, if you get a car worth more money, you actually get less "value". I was never enticed by Porsche since their ride is usually like sitting on nails and in terms of day to day driving, I think the Cayenne is only 10% better for 50% extra money.

One thing I have never understood is how car salesman describe the "handling" of a particular car. How the hell can you tell when the average speed is 30 mph! The sales guy was all about handling. I stated that my NX and the Cayenne handle the same as every other bloody car car at 30mph.

• Like 1

One thing I have never understood is how car salesman describe the "handling" of a particular car. How the hell can you tell when the average speed is 30 mph! The sales guy was all about handling. I stated that my NX and the Cayenne handle the same as every other bloody car car at 30mph.

Yeah that's the worst part of it! Id be concerned if I was taking the cayenne on a track but in day to day life at 30mph, there's not much difference at all.

In fact, I feel like my RX is a better balance as it rides well and handles ok for such a car. The cayenne rides really rough but handles great....... at the limit which is difficult to reach in the UK

• 3 weeks later...

The 2016 RX official European launch will be held in Vienna in the last week of October. Specifications and prices will be confirmed at the beginning of August for deliveries beginning mid March.

Well if it's got the same rubbish hybrid set-up as the NX, and the appalling fuel economy, I'll be giving it a wide berth. If the Premier is going to be £70k or more, there are a lot of other choices out there, some of which are more desirable. I'm looking forward to a test drive though!!

Well if it's got the same rubbish hybrid set-up as the NX, and the appalling fuel economy, I'll be giving it a wide berth. If the Premier is going to be £70k or more, there are a lot of other choices out there, some of which are more desirable. I'm looking forward to a test drive though!!

Unlikely. RX450h >>>>>>> NX300h in terms of power and economy (seen as though its got all the power and still manages close to NX figures!!). If its got lighter, itll probably do about 35mpg in reality, especially if they've updated the motors and added more batteries which they havent revealed yet.

The 2016 RX official European launch will be held in Vienna in the last week of October. Specifications and prices will be confirmed at the beginning of August for deliveries beginning mid March.

Sounds good, not too far away then!

I wish the new XC90 Hybrid was better looking. 400bhp, 25 mile electric range, up to 122mpg, and some very impressive options, all for around the same price that the RX Premier is likely to be. I just don't think I could live with that square exterior. Obviously not an issue for those trading up from the outgoing model, or owners of X5's/Q7's etc, because the entire UK quota has been sold out well into 2016. It's a pity Lexus haven't gone down the plug-in hybrid route, because a "twin engined" 400+ bhp RX Premier would be pretty awesome.

It was shown at the NY show on April 1st, but still no word on the powertrain! Nothing apart from, " It will have around 300hp". It's a bit worrying.

I think the hybrid will have 300-310hp as the new 3.5l V6 is being used but its set to get lighter due to use of Aluminium which should help in terms of performance.

The fuel economy should be about 50mpg on the tests I think - down to the weight savings, tyre sizes remaining exactly the same and possibly updated motors or programming to the hybrid system. Now that'd seriously put the NX to shame lol.

I think a plug in hybrid would be obsolete. Nobody really "wants" one, they just buy it for the so called "fuel savings" which actually work out exactly the same (well in my hands anyway - BMW I8 managed only 51mpg) and the government grant that you get. They're always more expensive than even normal hybrids and not worth it IMO.

I think a plug in hybrid makes sense if you do a lot of shorter journeys of say 15 miles each way to work a day, and occasional longer journeys where you need the extra range provided by a diesel or petrol engine back up. Under those circumstances, most of your mileage is done under electric power, and you can end up spending very little on fuel. On the minus side the cars are usually horrendously expensive to buy, so better off getting one a few months old that has lost a fortune in depreciation already. Of course, apart from saving money on fuel, there's usually no excise duty, and if it's a company car. much lower tax. Some of these cars also offer outstanding performance if required. I reckon as the batteries become cheaper, lighter, and more powerful, there's a good chance that plug in hybrids will really take off. I agree that a lot of people buy them thinking they are going to save money, but then use them in such a way that an ordinary diesel model would have been much more economical. Apparently Mitsubishi are selling so many Outlander PHEV's, that they can hardly keep up with demand. Same story with the Volvo D6 and XC90. Basically, apart from the Vauxhall Ampera, these are the only real plug in hybrids around. I'm leaving out the BMW's because one (IMHO) is just plain hideous, and the other one way out of most people's price range (as are the Tesla's). I believe a whole range of new plug in models are due soon from Mercedes, Audi, VW and BMW before the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how they catch on.

Just got an email from my Lexus source in the UK

He has just been driving the RX for the past 3 days in Austria along with competitors. These competitors were the Mercedes ML, BMW X5, new XC90 and the RR Sport.

He works for Lexus in financing and is not a salesmen, therefore no salesman tactics here. He also owns a BMW M3

First of all he said the driving dynamics are very good - get this - dynamically, the RX is better than ALL of them. His words, not mine. It is much quieter than the current model too down to insane amounts of sound deadening gone into the vehicle. The steering has been vastly improved also.

He mentioned in the email that the ride and handling has been improved, so best of both worlds but he was most impressed with how quiet the car was compared to a current RX. He said it may be pipping the current LS.

He drove both the 450h and 200t. Both provided enough power but the 450h was a clear winner, being better suited to the vehicle as the 200t has to work fairly hard. 350 is only going to Russia and the Balkans in Europe so he didn't bother with that one. The actual hybrid system has not been changed, however, the transmission is an updated CVT which feels like a conventional automatic albeit much smoother. He said the gearbox itself has made the RX450h much nicer to drive. The engine is a new 3.5l V6 which is a detuned, version of the 300hp V6 in the RX350 and runs on atkinson cycle.

Quality of the finish was impeccable too but the best option to spec is the ML in his eyes (or should I say ears?). He said it was absolutely stunning. Crystal clear and great sound with no distortion at extremely high volumes (55+)

The ML has Clarify on it akin to the NX.

Something else I have just found out - the new RX will have the safety system + system as standard. None of it is extra cost in the RX in the UK atleast.

I have received confirmation of the price for a RX from Lexus GB. The Premier model will indeed be £70000+. I will be going to Vienna soon to test drive the the different variants of the RX as well as the GS-F ( no interest in buying).

This confirmed price has set off alarm bells , but I will reserve judgement until I have driven it and checked out the opposition.

****, I hope that's for the fully loaded Premier model. I'm sure there will be loyal customers, but with a few high performance, ultra economical plug -in hybrids due from German manufacturers around the same time, it will have to be amazing to win over new customers, and keep existing RX customers on side too.

It is for the fully loaded model.... Except the sliding pano roof is an extra! All joking aside , I have told Lexus that I won't be buying at that price, hence the the invite to Vienna. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve , it's going to be a no.

On a side note , I already have a deposit placed ( May 2012) on a Honda NSX. Really can't wait for this one!

Although they are behind schedule as per F1 team. Ohio March 16.

There shouldn't be too much to actually load up on a Premier, £70k seems far too high. I was expecting up to 10% price hike, which the RX seems to get with every major revision but seems it is going to be over 15%.

I have had no confirmation yet. Lexus GB still told me the price hasn't been set yet.

However, my source has said the RX200t is going to be cheaper than the 450h. I'll give Lexus UK an email now and see what I get

Just sent them an angry email. I also stressed I would not be buying the new RX if the price is £70K as I think it's frankly unacceptable to raise the price by that much. I also explained how brand loyalty will diminish and current owners are already contemplating moving to other brands. We will see what they say!

Gave them a link to this thread to read for themselves lol

It's irrelevant whether you've had confirmation from your ' source' or not.

Lexux GB have sent me the brochure and invite to Austria. I have the price list and specs.

The Premier model is £70k +.

I meant I haven't had any confirmation from Lexus GB. They're still saying it's not been released yet.

My source was talking about the RX200t which should be cheaper. Any chance you could send me some pics of the brochure please? I haven't got anything!!

The 200t should be cheaper, it is certainly cheaper to produce, and they won't be able to get away with the performance tax like they have with the NX. Personally I don't think the 200t is a good fit for the RX anyway, especially as it is even bigger than the current generation - needs a 250t or 300t.

I will not upload the brochure. As I said earlier, the price for the Premier model is £70000+. The sliding pan roof is an extra on the Premier , taking it to £71,200. Work out the price for the rest. No poverty spec model ( buy Premier NX).

I really don't know why Lexus don't drop their hybrids in favour of plug in's. The 2.0L turbo or 2.5L coupled to an 80-100kw hybrid Battery would greatly improve the fuel economy, and give sub 6 sec 0-62 mph as well. It would be nice to travel 20-30 miles on electric only, and not have the engine cut in constantly every time a fly passes wind near the accelerator pedal.

I will not upload the brochure. As I said earlier, the price for the Premier model is £70000+. The sliding pan roof is an extra on the Premier , taking it to £71,200. Work out the price for the rest. No poverty spec model ( buy Premier NX).

Why can't you upload the brochure? Do you even have one? Lexus UK literally told me that Lexus GB doesn't exist and the official name is Lexus UK so anyone claiming to have anything from Lexus GB is being duped.

They also said there is no brochure so can't send it. The only reason I ask for the brochure is to see the spec for myself and show Lexus UK.

Its all getting rather silly, everyone's being secretive like little school girls before an exam

They haven't mentioned anything about the powertrain. I suspect it's going tobe the same with some slight modifications. The gent on the phone said " european mpg is 54.5" . Which means 20mpg!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links