Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The 200t should be cheaper, it is certainly cheaper to produce, and they won't be able to get away with the performance tax like they have with the NX. Personally I don't think the 200t is a good fit for the RX anyway, especially as it is even bigger than the current generation - needs a 250t or 300t.

It's quite a lot lighter than the RX450h though. The whole car is deemed to get lighter than the current one

They haven't mentioned anything about the powertrain. I suspect it's going tobe the same with some slight modifications. The gent on the phone said " european mpg is 54.5" . Which means 20mpg!

Engine is different ie the new 3.5l V6. CVT has been improved to act more like a conventional auto and hybrid whine has been eradicated. My source has already driven the RX450h and 200t in Austria last week

Realistically 54.5mpg means about 35mpg. My current RX is doing 30mpg so 35mpg shouldnt be too bad.

Ive posted pics of the Austria event in another thread if interested

Lexus UK literally told me that Lexus GB doesn't exist and the official name is Lexus UK so anyone claiming to have anything from Lexus GB is being duped.

No such thing as Lexus UK. Lexus in the UK is just a division of Toyota (GB) PLC.

Lexus UK literally told me that Lexus GB doesn't exist and the official name is Lexus UK so anyone claiming to have anything from Lexus GB is being duped.

No such thing as Lexus UK. Lexus in the UK is just a division of Toyota (GB) PLC.

Even sent them an email - no brochures been made yet? This is getting on the verge of weird. They've even said nothing being released till October yet

Well, I hope the adaptive suspension is all it needs to be, because having had two RXs previously the only real issue was the soulless driving experience. Seriously, if the high-price rumours are anywhere near accurate, and you enjoy driving, you're way into loaded Porsche Macan territory. The Macan S Diesel is rapid, drives incredibly, is refined, and returns over 40mpg REAL WORLD. They're also put together very well, with 'bonkers good' residuals and all the same accessories available (at a price). Also - having Porshe on your keyring isn't exactly embarrassing either...

I can only think that the remaining discriminator in Lexus' favour here is their dealer service; second-to-none, without doubt.

So hopefully, 'the price is right', and the air suspension / AVS is up to the job. I sincerely hope so :) .

Well, I hope the adaptive suspension is all it needs to be, because having had two RXs previously the only real issue was the soulless driving experience. Seriously, if the high-price rumours are anywhere near accurate, and you enjoy driving, you're way into loaded Porsche Macan territory. The Macan S Diesel is rapid, drives incredibly, is refined, and returns over 40mpg REAL WORLD. They're also put together very well, with 'bonkers good' residuals and all the same accessories available (at a price). Also - having Porshe on your keyring isn't exactly embarrassing either...

I can only think that the remaining discriminator in Lexus' favour here is their dealer service; second-to-none, without doubt.

So hopefully, 'the price is right', and the air suspension / AVS is up to the job. I sincerely hope so :) .

Don't know what you've been reading but the new RX is coming with AVS, an active stabiliser on F sport models and a heavily stiffened chassis. Use of aluminium is going to make it lighter too.

Maybe you don't want a diesel? And it's safe to say the Porsche Cayenne is one ugly car, only superceded by the Citroen Cactus in terms of ugliness

Don't know what you've been reading but the new RX is coming with AVS, an active stabiliser on F sport models and a heavily stiffened chassis. Use of aluminium is going to make it lighter too.

Maybe you don't want a diesel? And it's safe to say the Porsche Cayenne is one ugly car, only superceded by the Citroen Cactus in terms of ugliness

Not sure what you've been reading either; I said I hoped the AVS would be up to the job, and I was talking about the Macan, not the Cayenne. Having driven that particular diesel and experienced the torque on-tap, you might well want one...

Not sure what you've been reading either; I said I hoped the AVS would be up to the job, and I was talking about the Macan, not the Cayenne. Having driven that particular diesel and experienced the torque on-tap, you might well want one...
A Macan doesn't compete with the RX. The RX is about a foot longer with more interior space. It competes with the Cayenne. The Macan is NX size.

No way would I own a diesel again. They get rid of the DPF issues, add a decent Petrol like grumble and a red line at 7k then maybe, just maybe

Besides, if you go to order one now you won't get it till sometime in the distant future

I just configured a standard petrol Macan with all the options that the RX Premier has and it's £58k. The Macan S will probably be the same price as an RX Premier but it competes with the NX on size

• Like 1

That's a matter of opinion to which you are entitled, however, it competes with the RX if I buy one instead :shifty:

Porsche also have a special 'AdBlue®' injection system that takes care of NOx emission issues and improves diesel particulate filtration - "The SCR system (selective catalytic reduction) in the Macan S Diesel works in conjunction with a diesel particulate filter and AdBlue® technology to provide an environmentally friendly exhaust gas recirculation solution and a significant reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions. AdBlue® is a replenishable liquid added to a separate tank." - requires topping-up around every 10,000 miles.

I love the sound of a screaming engine too (not that you'll get that from an RX), but this one has a nice note, and more than makes up for it with the 'kick-in-the-pants torque' it delivers for fantastic real-world 0-62 and overtaking performance. Voted the best 'compact' SUV (as opposed to mid-sized RX) by the motoring press, it must be doing something right...

That's a matter of opinion to which you are entitled, however, it competes with the RX if I buy one instead :shifty:

Porsche also have a special 'AdBlue®' injection system that takes care of NOx emission issues and improves diesel particulate filtration - "The SCR system (selective catalytic reduction) in the Macan S Diesel works in conjunction with a diesel particulate filter and AdBlue® technology to provide an environmentally friendly exhaust gas recirculation solution and a significant reduction in nitrogen oxide emissions. AdBlue® is a replenishable liquid added to a separate tank." - requires topping-up around every 10,000 miles.

I love the sound of a screaming engine too (not that you'll get that from an RX), but this one has a nice note, and more than makes up for it with the 'kick-in-the-pants torque' it delivers for fantastic real-world 0-62 and overtaking performance. Voted the best 'compact' SUV (as opposed to mid-sized RX) by the motoring press, it must be doing something right...

Im not too keen on Adblue though - my brother in law has a Q7 with it. Literally eats the stuff.

I think the RXh screams loud enough - when the windows are down anyway.

I guess you could always cross-shop but then you could easily say the M4 loaded to £70k is a much better car than the Macan so it'll always get trumped by something unless its a Ferrari the Ferrari

I think we've forgotten that Lexus likes to do things differently, and the RX has always been more of a Luxury SUV with a focus on ride comfort and serenity, with a level of calm to it that no other manufacturer can come close to - (probably the way the hybrid system encourages you to drive).

The F-Sport has always been a decent handler, its pretty fun in the corners but its no Macan - but then it wasn't exactly designed to be was it? I realise that the CVT annoys some people, but I actually really like it. Its smooth and not jerky, you dont feel any shifts which I like and the car never really drones unless you're doing 0-60 times so I dont find it a problem at all.

Now now Mark, if we paid attention to the journalists, you'd be in an M4 and I'd be in an X5 lol

• Like 1

Ha ha! I was in a fully loaded M4 for about 4 months. From new, 5 visits to the dealer for ECU, exhaust valve, rear disk brake, unusual intermittent noise from engine bay issues...enough is enough. Plus it struggled to get off the line in anything other than bone-dry conditions as its torque delivery exceeds the capability of the rear tyre's grip, even with that M-diff. And as for that awful synthesised engine note... but don't get me wrong - great car, and there's a place for it, and that's a race-track.

The local Porsche dealer told me today that the AdBlue only needs topping up around every 10,000 miles, so shouldn't be too much of an issue to manage. Porsche have also moved to 3 year warranties now, oh, and there's an apparently switchable sports exhaust for the Macan S Diesel on its way if economy and a screaming engine note is your bag! :winky:

You have something on the serenity point though. Lexus do something special there, so, hopefully all that stiffening up and air suspension will be up to the job on the new RX, and that they don't commit a huge 'fail' with a £70+ price tag; I can't really justify that spend on an SUV...

Ha ha! I was in a fully loaded M4 for about 4 months. From new, 5 visits to the dealer for ECU, exhaust valve, rear disk brake, unusual intermittent noise from engine bay issues...enough is enough. Plus it struggled to get off the line in anything other than bone-dry conditions as its torque delivery exceeds the capability of the rear tyre's grip, even with that M-diff. And as for that awful synthesised engine note... but don't get me wrong - great car, and there's a place for it, and that's a race-track.

The local Porsche dealer told me today that the AdBlue only needs topping up around every 10,000 miles, so shouldn't be too much of an issue to manage. Porsche have also moved to 3 year warranties now, oh, and there's an apparently switchable sports exhaust for the Macan S Diesel on its way if economy and a screaming engine note is your bag! :winky:

You have something on the serenity point though. Lexus do something special there, so, hopefully all that stiffening up and air suspension will be up to the job on the new RX, and that they don't commit a huge 'fail' with a £70+ price tag; I can't really justify that spend on an SUV...

Id buy it - but it'd probably have to be an ex-demo or something. No way am I taking a £15k hit in the first 6 months lol

• 3 weeks later...

Just to cover my bases... I have also placed an order with Porsche for a S E Hybrid.

Lexus have said the Premier will be £70k +. The Cayenne for that price is superior.

Just to cover my bases... I have also placed an order with Porsche for a S E Hybrid.

Lexus have said the Premier will be £70k +. The Cayenne for that price is superior.

Fair enough. I'm going for the F sport anyway as long as it has the options I have already so it should be cheaper. No way am I spending £80k on a Cayenne. Id be going for RR sport autobiography for that

£70k does seem way over the top, this gen maxed out with all options inc active suspension at £63k. There does seem to be a trend at Lexus for a stupid price hike for Premier spec, way over the value of the options it adds but the only way to get them.

Know it's a way off but suprised no one has mentioned the Tesla Model X, prob a year till available here but given the prices Lexus are talking a potential 3.3 second SUV with about 270 mile range that can be charged for free becomes very interesting :)

Personally think the RX450h price is going to be too high, they seem to have pushed it higher to give themselves more space for the NX and the RX200t. Just too many very nice cars you can get once it move to the £70k area.

£70k does seem way over the top, this gen maxed out with all options inc active suspension at £63k. There does seem to be a trend at Lexus for a stupid price hike for Premier spec, way over the value of the options it adds but the only way to get them.

Know it's a way off but suprised no one has mentioned the Tesla Model X, prob a year till available here but given the prices Lexus are talking a potential 3.3 second SUV with about 270 mile range that can be charged for free becomes very interesting :)

Personally think the RX450h price is going to be too high, they seem to have pushed it higher to give themselves more space for the NX and the RX200t. Just too many very nice cars you can get once it move to the £70k area.

The premier spec will max out at £71k apparently. With this gen pricing maxing out at £63k, £71k doesn't sound as bad as it did.

With all that said, I'm assuming the £71k comes with all the toys including the pan roof, 360 degree panoramic camera, safety system+ with BSM and lane keep assist which keep the car in lane, heated rear seats, electric rear seats etc

In comparison, the new Q7, XC90 and X5 all cost more to the same spec level anyway

Rayaan, pop in to Porsche Leeds. There is a cracking deal for a Turbo S going. I am very tempted. Since I only do about 5-6000 miles per year , the Turbo S seems great value.

Rayaan, pop in to Porsche Leeds. There is a cracking deal for a Turbo S going. I am very tempted. Since I only do about 5-6000 miles per year , the Turbo S seems great value.

I can see a few problems lol. One being that I'd be spending a fortune in fuel and tax, Id never utilise even 50% of the cars power 99% of the time and it's way too stiff for me. Ofc the wife won't approve either because it's time to change her car this year!

Lexus have been in touch re the Austria trip amongst other things. They MIGHT implement a 5 year warranty to ward off competition.

Also, people who have placed deposits without knowing the actual price have been threatening to pull their deposits. Hence Lexus are arranging fully paid trips to Vienna to change their minds.

The Porsche Cayenne blows the socks off the RX at any price. If they insist on £70000+ for the Premier then Lexus are screwed.

Lexus have been in touch re the Austria trip amongst other things. They MIGHT implement a 5 year warranty to ward off competition.

Also, people who have placed deposits without knowing the actual price have been threatening to pull their deposits. Hence Lexus are arranging fully paid trips to Vienna to change their minds.

The Porsche Cayenne blows the socks off the RX at any price. If they insist on £70000+ for the Premier then Lexus are screwed.

Depends what you want. The cayenne is way too stiff. At 30-40mph any car is going to handle well anyway so the RXs shortcomings in the dynamics front doesn't surface.

From what I've heard, the 2016 RX is seriously competitive against the X5 in terms of driving dynamics, apparently leaving the RR Sport and XC90 for dust in the Austrian slalom. X5 was superior but it was very close and great for an FWD based vehicle. The ex race drivers commented that it was on par with the X5 and better than the XC90 and RR Sport mainly down to the suspension tuning. Ride comfort has been improved slightly on the F-Sport down to the AVS and the safety system + works very well and is integrated. Porsche can't compete with Lexus specification though, or the looks......

I'll reserve judgement until I've driven it myself.

I've driven the benchmark, which is the Cayenne. All the others are nowhere near imho.

The racing drivers you mention are Toyota employees.

Alex Wurz is one of them.

The Cayenne is stiff on steel springs. With PASM or Air or both , it blows anything out the weeds.

I'll reserve judgement until I've driven it myself.

I've driven the benchmark, which is the Cayenne. All the others are nowhere near imho.

The racing drivers you mention are Toyota employees.

Alex Wurz is one of them.

The Cayenne is stiff on steel springs. With PASM or Air or both , it blows anything out the weeds.

Except it costs another £2k. I've driven the cayenne too. It's too stiff and looks so bad I'd rather have a Nissan Qashqai. And I'm not a fan of how you have to spec the car up with absolutely everything. You barely get anything as standard.

Alex Wurz has given his views on the IS300H and RCF. Both have been consistent with what I found when I drove them. Cayenne VS RX is almost like M4 VS RCF, both are quite different in how they get from A to B with RCF being superior on the road IMO because of the smoothness, drivability and balance between comfort and stiffness as well as styling. Id expect the RX vs Cayenne to be similiar to that comparison.

Lexus have shown what they can do with the IS and GS in terms of dynamics. Those are dynamic leaders in pretty much every country apart from this one. Im sure Lexus won't have bodged their bread and butter vehicle up like they did with the NX

Besides, Cayenne is VAG. Id rather not, had enough experience with VAG to decide it's not for me.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links