Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I have a is220d and when it is hot it judders when pulling away in 1st gear, the fuel consumption is also poor.

Like many on here I thought that it was either the clutch or DMF.

However thinking about the fault it felt like when I used to have a really old car with a manual choke ( I know old fart) which gets left out too long and it wants to stall .

Thinking about how it could be over fueling or the mixture was not correct I thought that the MAF had never been cleaned or replaced so I gave it a good clean with contact cleaner and ran the car through Birmingham in the rush hour and it was like a different car and the MPG increased by 5 MPG.

I know that this might not be the cure for all clutch judders but as it only involves removing 2 screws and £5 worth of contact cleaner it might be a first place to start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I also have the clutch judder problem (and bad MPG although i'm using the IS250 so this might be less unexpected than for the diesel model).

Could you please describe in more detail for a complete newbie what exactly it was you did to solve the clutch judder in your case?

Thanks!

Hi Ar

The MAF sensor is located on the pipe just after the air filter box, it is held in with 2 x head screws and has 1 connector. Remove connector and 2 screws and spray with contact cleaner onto the bulb and also up the centre of the tube, NEVER touch the bulb with your hand or cotton buds as it is very delicate.

Leave to dry and refit, you then need to remove a Battery terminal for about 5 minutes so that the ECU will recalibrate on restart.

Reconnect Battery and give it a go.

Hope this helps.

PS you will probably need to reset the electric windows as the sequencing goes out, easy to do just lower and raise each in turn.

Good luck.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Cleaning the MAF sensor fixed my clutch judder. I have a 2006 IS250 with 130k miles that has juddered when cold for the last two years. Seeing the post above, I gave it a try and it's like a new car. No more judder, and much smoother and more powerful. I don't know why this works but a dirty sensor will presumably result in an incorrect fuel/air mix and poor running.

Prob one of the easiest jobs to do on the 250 that can have a instant and noticable effect.

location of the sensor on the 250 ( Petrol!) below,

image.png

• 4 years later...

Excellent. Thank you for this information.

I own two 2007 IS220d, first car is 65k and the other 71k. The higher mileage car started to judder badly when cold (pull away, from stop only, not rolling start) and the lower mile car has just started to show similar symptoms recently.

My initial assumption was clutch related, but within a very short period of time I had decided it was diesel delivery related. This was after a very steep hill start and the engine refused to respond to the demand for revs. It then seemed obvious that the car didn't believe that the required amount of air was available for the requested throttle position.

I thought I'd check here and found this thread, expecting a much more complex electronic fault instead! Yet again, these incredible second hand cars blow my mind on a daily basis and reinforce the excellent decision I made in owning them.

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links