Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Head Gasket Failure

Dexy

gutted!

Recently (3 weeks) purchased used Lexus is220d 2007 95k on clock from nationwide franchise dealer.

Had a problem with coolant level which a member kindly advised on, but my regular mechanic says looks like head gasket blown, rang dealer they can't look at it until Tuesday, my mechanic going to pressure test and some other tests so I have a second opinion, guess it explains the vanishing and reappearing coolant and the spray marks all over engine , really love this car so hoping they sort it, its within the warranty period, but don't think they will be happy at the cost from what I can gather it's pretty steep ?

Does anyone know if any other reason for disappearing and reappearing coolant as in when engine cold it's there but as soon as started drops below minimum, but when cap opened even when fully cold hisses with pressure and bubbles back to normal levels ?

Thanks

Unfortunately the symptoms sound like a classic HGF, Lexus did a lot of these engines under their warranty with a mileage limit of 108,000 and under 7 years old with a FLSH.

I think given the short time since purchase you could return the car to the dealer for a full refund if you wished under the Sales of Goods Act. Lexus basically fitted a new short engine and other parts for example the turbocharger to sort the problem so will yours get the same under warranty?

Also be careful with your own mechanic looking at the car the last thing you want is a get out clause from the warranty because someone else has looked at it.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying to me again

I had a feeling after everything I have read, I was just hoping that there could've been another explanation, I've phoned dealer today and they want to pressure test it Tuesday, my local garage said just be careful as they will try and get out of it if possible and said second opinion may be needed, dealer did say if it is hg then they will have to put it right, but that's before they probably know price !?

My worry now is IF they fix it a) will it be done properly and b ) what has been damaged in process of hg going

Thanks so much for helping out again 😊

Hello Eileen, greetings from this side of the Pennines! the cost to the dealer of putting this right is irrelevant, when you deal with them it should be on the understanding that the cost is none of your concern - if they have sold a car to you that is not fit for purpose then you are entitled to a full refund, or for them to put it right. With regard to other problems it may have caused I wouldn't know, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people on the forum who will. If you aren't sure of the legislation and think they might try to hoodwink you have a read up on the Internet, there is loads of consumer help about nowadays. Hope it works put, I had teething problems with my 2003 Rx when I bought it last year but the dealer sorted it.

• Like 2

Hi Matthew, hello from not so sunny Doncaster! I'm more mad at myself for falling for the car, I took it for a test drive and after my BMW it was in another league, it was from a large dealers and they keep emailing and ringing to ask me to leave feedback, don't think they will be in too much of hurry after today.

I've emailed Lexus too as technically it is 7 year old and under the mileage warranty for repair but don't think I will get anywhere but worth a shot maybe ?

Thanks again for your reply

Dealers service department are ringing tomorrow morning, and I've emailed Lexus UK so fingers crossed I can get things sorted, will post how things go.

To be fair to the dealer the problem appears not to have been present when the car was sold so it would be reasonable to let them take a look at the car and repair it, what I would ask at this point was is the repair going to be carried out by Lexus using approved Lexus parts or to the same standard of a Lexus dealer and carry the same warranty on the repair.

It's no good simply replacing the Head Gasket and bolting the engine back together as the same thing will happen again due to known defects with this type of engine ( ask yourself why this was the only Lexus to have a diesel engine and is now discontinued).

If you're not happy to have the car repaired then I would request that the car be returned and your money refunded in full quoting the SOGA 1979.

If you paid for the car using a credit card you also have additional rights under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

The CAB are another useful contact if problems arise.

Bit of light reading on the link below.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_legalrights.html

Thanks for info, it has been playing on my mind about it would be better Lexus doing the repair rather than dealer, I'm hoping Lexus might be helpful as still within mileage and 7 year old, but I'm not holding my breath,

I'm not so sure about the problem not being there at time of sale as coolant was below minimum on day I brought it home, and have now noticed that the engine panels have been removed around the radiator as all the plastic lugs are missing.I've been away for one week of the three and have only put 150 miles on the car since the 5th of May when I picked it up from them, to add salt to the wound they only gave me £1100 for my old BMW saying they wouldn't put it on forecourt as no value to them and now on website for £2792!! Don't know where they get the £2 😂

Just an update, Lexus came back to me today but was more or less told because I didn't purchase from a Lexus dealer they didn't want to know, which was a long shot anyway.

Had a sniff test done by independent garage which came back ok liquid stayed blue, but apparently system is pressurising a little, but the main thing was he said the water pump had a pool of water around it , all this info was explained to Evans halshaw and the car has been with them all day and they will let me know tomorrow what's happening, they have given me a courtesy car (Clio) and I feel claustrophobic after the comfort of the Lexus 😆 just holding onto that little shred of hope it's not hg related

Well it's the head gasket , they have run two pressure tests cold and warm and the warm is showing a weakness in hg, they are going down the route of seeing if they can get Lexus to be a bit flexible, I have said that if I keep the car I would want a longer warranty on it, they are speaking to area manager tomorrow and ringing me back as to what happens next :(

I know it's a shame and seems bad but you know what it is now, and you know it is the dealer's responsibility to put it right, one way or another. It's a better position to be in than when you didn't even know what was wrong. I think it will all be all right in the end.

• Like 1

Your right, I'm just glad they have said yes it is the hg rather than trying to fob me off, be interesting to see where the get with Lexus ?!

Unfortunately I doubt they will get anywhere with Lexus. If it's a 2007 vehicle then it is over the 7 year period. I'd recommend you ask for a full refund rather than they attempt a repair and then look to purchase an IS250 instead.

Hi all we used to fit lexus recon engines to 220d when I worked at lexus in Sheffield as you cannot skim the head and when gasket goes it damages the block too. Sorry I can't be more help

I was put off the is250 by the tax bracket unfortunately Colin , I did say about rejecting the car but they said only if it's not fit for purpose, so I said and does a failed head gasket not fit that criteria ?!

Hi Dave, they have said it will be a complete new head gasket, not skimmed because that was my worry. They did contact Lexus but it was out by only three months on the warranty, they are now doing a twelve month warranty on the whole car. They say the cause was carb build up ?

Typically it isn't the gasket, or not just the gasket, that is the problem. The cylinder head and/or block gets warped so they require skimming and a thinker head gasket used to compensate for the metal that has been removed.

Toyota started to supply dealers with new engines rather than letting the Toyota or Lexus dealer repair the engines as they weren't fixing all the issues and failures reoccured and the labour costs were too high.

• Like 1

Yes lexus told us it was carbon build up causing head gasket issues but whoever strips the engine needs to check the head surface and the block surface for damage where the gasket has blown. It may need a new cylinder head at least with the correct thickness gasket (usually the same as what came off) As I said earlier the heads cannot be skimmed we do try to in the earlier days but they didn't last too long before they went again

Thanks for the info, they are ringing me on Monday apparently they have been waiting for a quote from Toyota for parts?

I will double check that it is all new and not skimmed they are doing, the only reason I realised that there was a problem was because the coolant kept disappearing, I had no loss of power or creamy oil and no white smoke from exhaust etc . I do think that perhaps they were hoping that no one would notice until it was too late, either that or the car had received no checks whatsoever ?

Yes you would have thought that the pre sales check would have picked up a problem as it has been faulty for a while staining on engine covers and pressuring the cooling system etc

• Like 1

That would be ideal your not that far from me, there is another member on here who works in Doncaster through the week that's looking for someone too, could you message me your details if you don't mind, my local garage is great and I trust him but would rather it be someone who knows Lexus 😊