Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Head Gasket Failure

Dexy

Cheers I've got the details, now just got to wait to get the car back ! Will be in touch and then can sort out a check etc

Thanks Eileen

A quick update , things are not looking good , they have had two quotes today and suddenly they are asking if I would except another vehicle of the same value, no other Lexus's in stock in that price range and spec so been in touch with head office saying I would want the car repairing and on to citizens advice tomorrow :(

Think you could be right, just seems funny how they have gone from getting quotes to swapping cars in same day, from what I can make out from sale of goods act if the repair is not viable cost wise they can refuse to repair it and just refund, hoping I'm wrong because changing my insurance and plate over leaves me out of pocket 😡

Anything further from yesterday? I know you like the car but I would feel like just getting my money back and going elsewhere. I know in an earlier post you asked how they could say a head gasket blowing didn't constitute the car not being fit for purpose.

Hi, I spoke with trading standards today who were helpful, I have rang garage again today, they have not started no repairs on the car, I asked was this due to cost, service guy said yes this factor was slowing them down, so now I've found a 58 plate version mines 57 (I'm not sure if it's got the leather seats mines SE this doesn't have letters ?) so said well if you don't repair mine swap it for the newer one and pay for my plate swapping back and the insurance swapping and 3/4 tank of the v-power diesel that's in mine, think I left him spluttering but getting the manager to ring me tomorrow 😆, I'm hoping that the head gasket issues were sorted at 2008

Ha ha! That's great, it makes my blood boil when I hear about companies trying to stitch people up. You have to be forthright with them and tell them what you want. They are very unscrupulous, they will happily let you toddle off in a car that they know is going to cost you a fortune to put right. Glad you aren't letting them walk over you.

• Like 1

The engine was modified in 2009 in an attempt to resolve the issue, it may have reduced the number of failures but people with 2009 and 2010 models have had head gasket failures. Obviously not all fail and there are preventative things you can do to reduce the risk. The new vehicle may even have already had a new engine fitted under warranty, worth checking with Lexus.

• Like 1

Now the battle begins, after no contact again I phoned Evans Halshaw to see what is happening, they are flat refusing to repair as so expensive, they have no alternative with same type of spec so are saying I have to have a refund and take my BMW part exchange back ( Lexus log book is now in my name) and that they don't have to pay my losses from the vehicle such as insurance fees, number plate etc

They admitted they will push it through auctions as sold as seen, 😡😤

Wow, that's shocking - fair enough, refund you, but I think they reimburse you for any expense like your insurance and number plates. Also, what has happened to your bmw in the meantime? Have they done anything to it? Has it been driven at all?

Are you going to check where you stand legally? It raises a couple of questions - can they make you accept your old car back, and can you make them cover your other costs? I would never buy a car at auction, and I will never buy a car from Evans halshaw after hearing this!

I've been in touch with trading standards and citizens advice and read through sale of goods act etc

Trading standards say the law is on my side and a judge would most likely rule in my favour but it can be a long drawn out process and leaves me with no car whilst sorted. I need to check the mileage on BMW, they called it 'returning to the point of sale' , I have given the manager a break down of my losses today he argued the number plate was cosmetic' my reply was yes but it would still be staying on the car if you hadn't sold me a car unfit for purpose,I did say for the sake of me paying £35 I would be prepared to go to small claims court so let's see if that pushes things?

I have seen a petrol IS250 with 6 months warranty included and FLSH so fingers crossed I get it.

I can't believe such a big company as Evans Halshaw are so poor on customer service, was reading some reviews on google and I'm unfortunately not the only one with bad things to say about them !

Hi dexy sorry you are having a load of grief! That Is 250 sounds ok not much goes wrong with those is I manual or auto? I think auto drives a lot better and road tax is cheaper! I too have had lots of people complain about them too they just want to take your money and then you are on your own!

Hi Dave

The 250 is manual, 72k on clock and has sat nav, he has all receipts for any work and services, and he said he can extend warranty to two years for £250, that makes me feel a bit more reassured to the 28 days I got off them , just got to wait on Evans Halshaw to pay up . I feel like stopping everyone going in and warning them before they buy 😆

The tax is dearer but the good news is car was great I went to see, left a deposit , the bad news is Evans Halshaw still not refunded, they are apparently contacting the trading standards person for there company to see if they have to pay my losses, and to top it all I paid cash but they are refusing to refund same way and are saying I have to have a bank transfer that can take up to 72 hours to reach my bank 😡 I will breath I huge sigh of relief and perhaps have a nights sleep once i can walk away from them

Absolute swines, once it's sorted I will re-tell your tale of woe at the hands of that dreadful firm as often as I get chance. We will see their demise sooner or later, the free market will eventually see to it...

• Like 1

Absolute swines, once it's sorted I will re-tell your tale of woe at the hands of that dreadful firm as often as I get chance. We will see their demise sooner or later, the free market will eventually see to it...

That made me smile thank you ! things got eventful yesterday I rang Pendragon who own them and complained via them, shortly afterwards I received a call from Evans Halshaw saying we are going to fix the vehicle! I went down to the showroom and sat there until the manager dealt with me an hour later and showing him the court papers I had just filled in he arranged a refund (up to 72 hours 😡)but the losses they say will have to be by cheque once they have spoke to there trading standards department , I asked if the vehicles were PDI checked before going on sale he said of course so wit took over and I replied yes but needs to more in depth than lift the bonnet see if it's got an engine 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Arggghhh, Evans halshaw have put the car back up for sale on the website, I'm just hoping the poor unfortunate who purchases

it will question the log book when they get it why I had it for less than a month 😡

according to salesman they have no intention of fixing it as they will loose too much, I just hate the fact some other poor sod is probably going to go through same as I did 😡

The is250 is lovely it's the sport spec I think? Sport pedals electric steering wheel 18"alloys and ML stereo & sat nav and so on, I'm in gadget heaven !!