Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Issues, Revs Fluctuating, Mpg Really Bad

BamBam1

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to cars and I'm wanting to learn a bit more about them.

I have recently bought a 2007 Lexus IS220D with 47k miles. The previous owner (who had it from new) just used it for city driving. Never thought much of it at the time but looking on the forums it looks like this can cause quite a bit of carbon build up, I'm wanting to give cleaning it a go myself as it looks pretty straightforward (on youtube) but want a bit of advice before i do it.

Would it cause any problems if I take out the egr and manually clean that and then use this kit?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SJ7WBK8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d2_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18ZP1JZ3MCMDKEQNSAWE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

It's the Wynn's 3 pack (EGR Cleaner, DPF Cleaner, and Injector Cleaner), would these cause any problems for the car? Or has anyone come across any better alternatives?

I thought if I manually clean the EGR then use the kit it would come out even cleaner if it's really blocked up.

Sorry if it's a really stupid question, like I said I'm a car noob ;)

Cheers

The kit looks reasonable,the EGR cleaner spray will be the same as carb cleaner so just a solvent to assist the crud build up.

Many members have been using a different type of additive but I cannot remember the exact spec other than it is BG **** .

I guess you've seen the video tutorial on the EGR removal and clean.

It's got to be worth a try for what it costs and then make sure the car gets a good motorway run regularly after that to ensure the DPF gets nice and hot.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sounds like ur dpf @ egr need cleaning due to city driving use shell v power and dpf cleaner and drive in fourth gear for 20 mins at 50-60 it might clean it plus clean egr it's quite easy instead of spending money on kit carb cleaner does same thing if it doesn't do trick get it cleaned from car surgeon in Birmingham they charge

Cheers for the replies guys.

Ok so I ordered the kit. I'm looking forward to giving this a go but last time I opened the bonnet I realised I don't know what anything is (remember earlier noob confession). Is there anywhere I can find a diagram of the engine bay detailing where the main parts are?

Also would anyone have any further ideas to improve performance?

Appreciate the help folks

Also clean air mass sensor which is located on air cleaner pipe with 2 screws I cleaned my egr by watching on utube it's quite easy but 2 bolts at back r quite tricky to remove @ install it does help by removing Battery by removing Battery ur windows won't work from front u got to reprogram em again easy it's on forum on how to reprogram em good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in the update. I cleaned out the EGR manually and then used the EGR cleaner in the air intake. I put both treatment additives into the empty tank and filled it with BP Ultimate Diesel and ran it on the motorway for about half an hour. Since then I've had no issues, engine has been extremely smooth, barely any vibration and mpg has gone up by 4. So getting around 36/37 mpg around town which is great compared to before. I've not been using premium fuel since, just normally BP standard as it's local to my house.

Definately recommend this to everyone, I'll probably use it again in about a year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links