Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pcv Valve

Thats easy. On Mazda ithink it took me 8 hours of non stop work to replace it. 

Had to jack up the car to get access to one of the bolts of intake manifold. Another bolt was hidden so had to use super magnets and extension bars to screw it back in... nightmare. Heard ford is the same amount of trouble. 

I dont see really how a PCV can eat up liters of oil... The one I removed after 130k miles wasnt dirty at all. pastic pcv. Rattles like a rattle snake.

I also think if its not working properly one should see rough idle or a strange one as madashatter points out.

Oil - 2007 IS250

A while ago I done a test on the oil consumption and the differences between two Castrol grades. I had noticed the levels dropping under normal use while on Edge so decided to monitor it just for peace of mind. I change mine every 6 months with an engine flush each time as I only do low miles and I think it keeps the engine in good condition (the report I done showed the reasoning)

I used Castrol (Magnatec and Edge, both 5/30 grades) - I noticed while having the Castrol Edge grade in the car that the oil level would drop, no hard driving but didn't experience smoke. So I monitored it to see how long it took to drop and change colour. I used Magnatec next and found an improvement. No drop in levels at all and the oil stayed clean for longer. I put the clean oil down to the fact that I do a flush every time. I am still on Magnatec with no issues.

There's no pressure release when opening the oil cap on mine (petrol)

Edge is C3 low SAPS meant for engines with DPF. Magnetic is A5 low viscosity better fuel economy on paper. I think is250 likes A5. But A5 is thinner so in my case Mazda was consuming it.

I.also heard there are fake Castrol out there...

I would like to know if air comes out of a is220. Trying to find out if its the difference of engine or something else gone wrong.

5 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Thats easy. On Mazda ithink it took me 8 hours of non stop work to replace it. 

Had to jack up the car to get access to one of the bolts of intake manifold. Another bolt was hidden so had to use super magnets and extension bars to screw it back in... nightmare. Heard ford is the same amount of trouble. 

I dont see really how a PCV can eat up liters of oil... The one I removed after 130k miles wasnt dirty at all. pastic pcv. Rattles like a rattle snake.

I also think if its not working properly one should see rough idle or a strange one as madashatter points out.

Ok, didn't notice your are talking about a Mazda, not the IS250 in signature. A pcv that rattles doesn't necessarily mean its not faulty, but the lack of rattle does indicate failure. But you've changed it anyway or so no problem. Apparently they simply cause too much oil to pass into the intake manifold when faulty, hence horrific oil consumption and top end carbon problems. Oils with a low noack (evaporation loss) help, unfortunately this info is rarely on the oil spec, just email the manufacturer they have all emailed me back in a day or 2. Hope this helps.