Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Cheap Car For The Son To Drive ...

jpjsavage

He has just passed his test and needs a car to run around in. Smaller the better really, as insurance will be high given he is only 20. However, he will need to get his drum kit in it. Anything considered. In north west but prepared to travel a bit for the right car. Thanks everyone.

Well done to your son. Hows about Ford Focus especially the estate version. My wife has one and as long as it is serviced regularly seems to go on forever and plenty of load space Mike.

When looking into insurance, you might want to consider fitting a "Black Box" which monitors your driving - this can save ££££££ on the premium....... but .......... if he drives fast then his premium will go up!

A Renault Kangoo Diesel is not too bad for insurance and will accommodate his drums!

Just been through this with my lad - 20 years old not long passed his test and this is his first car - he just needed a run around car to get him on the 'insurance ladder'

We looked at all sorts - 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007 insurance was £1300 / 1.0 Vauxhall Corsa 2004 to 2006 just under £1200 / 2004 Ford Fiesta £1300 Peugeot £1100

Adding the insurance to the price of car we were looking at was coming to around the £3000 mark. So we thought about a bigger engine older car as theres a better choice over what is out there, after all its a first car, very high probability it will get damaged etc (but hoping not)

So ... figure this out ... just out of curiosity I had a quote done on a 2002 V6 x-type jag... just for a laugh as you do ... the insurance was £980 !!!!!!!!!!! the car was £1200 and I had a play with all the excesses that could be applied to the car ... this had 0£ excess but a compulsory one for £250 - this was with my wife as a named driver and my son as the main one - it went up by £90 if he was on his own on the policy.

This is a first time driver - never been let loose on his own in a car before and a jag is cheaper to buy and insure than a 1.0 corsa?! To me that's ridiculous - ok it will be a lot dearer to run but still ...!!

We spent a lot of time on compare the market ...So, after all the choices i went looking for a small car, he is not that fussed on what he wants yet, just wants the experience so i found a small Ford SportKA 2004 1.6 for £1300 and got the insurance down to £800 with my wife on the policy as a second driver and a box fitted.

Ok ... its classed as a hairdressers car but to be honest its very nippy, bit basic, but for what he is achieving in it will bring his insurance down. There are a lot of them out there with low mileages - this one we found has 32k on it, couple of advisories but they have been put right now.

He likes it and its quite a smart looking car

Have a look at these as a first car ... by the way the quote i had for him on mine was between £2300 up to £6000 with a box fitted and a £700 excess !!

It works out much cheaper if you put a parent (older driver) as a second on the policy. Even if the sibling is the main driver.

Very interesting about the Jag, another option is a classic car.

KA - my daughter had one - cost (me!) a fortune in maintenance and repairs!

Thanks for all the advice so far. Much appreciated. Lots to think about but, much as though I like the idea of an old Jag, the idea of an old Lexus would be better.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links