Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unable To Change Is220 Fuel Filter At Service

BamBam1

Hi,

I just had my IS in for a service and the garage (pretty decent and also have a good rep) were unable to change my fuel filter, they said that probably only lexus would be able to do it, is this right?

Cheers

No any garage can do if u can find it but it's really difficult to do when I had mine done it took garage half a day as he opened wrong filter as there are 2 nearest 1 is not fuel filter it's something to do with vapour 2nd 1 is fuel filter which is tucked away in an awkward place @ there is a screw which rusted and hard to open mine was blocked with sludge but now mine is freed now next time it will b easy to do, a good mechanic can do it ur garage probably couldn't find it. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Horrid job. On your back with no access, hours of fighting to get it undone then diesel running down you arm whilst desperately trying not to get it in your eyes.

Sounds like a mechanic who knows how difficult it is. I think i'd have said the same answer 'Yeah, Lexus only mate'.

a tricky job to do as it's easy to break the screw/filter housing

YES

I had the same problem last year. I ended up taking it to lexus and paying around £85 for them to change it. Apparently it needs a special tool to remove a cover, if you don't use the tool then you will likely break the cover/enclosure which will be more expensive to fix than taking it to lexus.

If the garage had ever services an IS before then they would have known that they are unable to replace the fuel filter and told you before. I ended up paying more than if I had just taken it to Lexus to be serviced....

I'm not sure what special tool that could be other that the arms of a small child.

Maybe they do have a special tool, like a funny triple angled extension bar, to help take off the bolts with ease with the benefit of a ramp to work under. But nothing about the fittings are unusual. They are all standard sized and need nothing more than a ratchet and socket. Space is the issue. Plus it's open to the outside so road dirt and other jazz gets up there making the thing more difficult to remove.

Design floor. Or maybe it's a way of selling 1,000s of enclosures. Either way, it's stupid.

Theres deffo no special tool needed,its just a very arkward job to do ,i did mine on my driveway laid on my back which makes it even harder.

I wouldnt recommend anyone try it unless theyre a very confident DIY mechanic as its very easy to break the housing

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links