Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Check

Evening guys...

My oil level warning light came on last night, the orange one top left of the dash, I've ordered some oil to top it up but just wondering what the best way to check the level is.

I usually do it when the engines cold, which I did today and it looks at an ok level to me, the manual however recommends getting it up to temp, turning it off and then leaving it a few minutes to get a truer reading.

Is that the best way?

I've always checked my engines either stone cold and perfectly level or after a drive, laid up on the drive for about 30 mins and then checked. I look for the flattest surface.

I always find if you check after 5 mins or so of shutting down you can end up overfilling; I like all the oil from the upper valvetrain to drain back to the sump before I make a decision as to whether she needs some oil.

My current IS300 takes about 100ml or so every 1000 miles and I use Shell Ultra Professional 5W30 AG.

Cheers

I checked it this morning from cold and then filled it up, left it for a bit and added a small amount more, ran the car and when it was up to temp, no warning light and the level looks good now.

Cheers ;-)