Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Suspension Advice

Pointer772001

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2003 IS200 and I love it but there is one thing wrong with it and has been for a while.

The dreaded knocking sound, the service history says its been checked before at lexus but no fault found.

My normal local garage has looked at it and found nothing and when it had the MOT it was also put on the "shake plates" but also found nothing.

If this is a common fault and I take it to a different garage and they manage to find something is wrong, how do I know they aren't trying to rip me off or whether they have actually found the problem?

Does anyone know for sure what the knocking could be?

I cant go back to my normal garage (or the MOT) place and ask them as they cant find an issue with it.

Its an awful sound because the car is so quiet and that's the only thing I can hear! could it be shock absorbers then?

If you find it please let us know. I've been looking for years and not got to the bottom of it. I've changed shock absorbers (3 sets by different manufacturers), top mount, both top and bottom ball joints and overall had 4 garages look at it to no avail. I'n mow suspicous of the lower steering control arm bush.

In summary, it can be any number of things and it's a case of slowly working though eliminating them.