Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Lexus Rx400h. Need Advise Please

Dear All,

I am looking to buy a used Lexus RX400H. I have few questions and would be very grateful if someone can answer them.

1) I am looking for 2005, 06, 07 model. can someone suggest if there is any difference between them?

2) What are the difference between SE and SE-L models? how is the sound system on SE? I m not too bothered about DVD screens on back rest but want a great speaker system.

3) I have seen a car which do not have headrest dvd screens. is it possible to get them fitted?

4) any thoughts of getting a LPG system fitted onto it?

Thanks alot.

I'd go for a late 06 or 07 plate if you can, the vehicle was facelifted in April 2006.

2005 to 2006 - The SE-L gets the Mark Levinson premium stereo, Sat Nav with reversing camera and rear ICE DVD player/screens over the standard SE. The SE optionally can have Sat Nav with reversing camera and the rear ICE.

With the facelift the Mark Levinson stereo could also be specified as an option on the SE. The standard pioneer stereo isn't bad, the Mark Levinson is definitely better.

The rear ICE system isn't great - it is certainly possible to have an aftermarket system added which would be better than the standard system. Better still just to get a couple of tablets with cases that fit around the headrests.

• Like 2

I'd go for a late 06 or 07 plate if you can, the vehicle was facelifted in April 2006.

2005 to 2006 - The SE-L gets the Mark Levinson premium stereo, Sat Nav with reversing camera and rear ICE DVD player/screens over the standard SE. The SE optionally can have Sat Nav with reversing camera and the rear ICE.

With the facelift the Mark Levinson stereo could also be specified as an option on the SE. The standard pioneer stereo isn't bad, the Mark Levinson is definitely better.

The rear ICE system isn't great - it is certainly possible to have an aftermarket system added which would be better than the standard system. Better still just to get a couple of tablets with cases that fit around the headrests.

thanks alot for your reply. I am little unsure of what you mean by facelifted in 2006 as iI can't tell the difference between 2005 and 2007 model?

There are a few differences, the easiest way to tell is hybrid badges on the rear passenger doors which are only there on the facelift models.

Other changes include MP3 playback on the stereo, revised indicator/wiper switches, new instrument cluster, new sat nav generation with improved screen, faster processor and a few extra features, improved reversing camera, acoustic windscreen and improved rear ICE system.

• Like 1

There are a few differences, the easiest way to tell is hybrid badges on the rear passenger doors which are only there on the facelift models.

Other changes include MP3 playback on the stereo, revised indicator/wiper switches, new instrument cluster, new sat nav generation with improved screen, faster processor and a few extra features, improved reversing camera, acoustic windscreen and improved rear ICE system.

Thanks again for your reply. i have seen few 2007 models but they do not have that Hybrid Badge? does that mean they are not facelift models?

Thanks again for your reply. i have seen few 2007 models but they do not have that Hybrid Badge? does that mean they are not facelift models?

They have been taken off, doors replaced in accidents etc. There shouldn't be a 2007 registered vehicle that wasn't a facelift unless it was in a showroom unregistered for a very long time.

• Like 1

The standard pioneer stereo isn't bad, the Mark Levinson is definitely better.

Damned by faint praise a little, the Mark Levinson sound system is awesome for a 7 year + old car, imho :shifty:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I'd definitely get any potential purchase independently inspected. I bought mine from an on-line dealer with all Lexus service history, one owner etc. The dealer was in Preston but I later discovered the car was from Edinburgh. Not a big deal except for the underside rusting in several places. I've replaced the rear brake dust shields (see separate thread) and now the fuel filler pipe. The pipe cost £175 and then a further £178 in mounting brackets, breather pipe, pipe holders & covers, then another £23 for an anti-roll bar link which had also rusted. Total including labour of £770 (plus the $93.00 for the back plates). Lexus bits aren't cheap! Out of choice I also had the whole car re-rust proofed and according to guys who did it (Rustbuster) I was lucky as some Scottish cars they've seen were not repairable at all!

You should check the date of the DVD for the Sat Nav, easy to do, it's located under the boot floor panel, back right behind a small black plastic cover plate. New DVD from Lexus about £300 but internet sources are around £75. The Sat Nav is not too clever, can't input a full Post Code for example and even the latest DVD doesn't know about a few streets I've found that are over 100 years old! The reversing camera is useful but not great, very poor night vision and easily affected by road dirt and low sun angles.

Shop around - prices vary a lot for very similar spec cars and if you are picky about colours (I am, wanted silver with grey or beige interior with the wood trim) it'll take a while.

Other than that it's a great car, this is my second one and I have no intention of changing it any time soon.

Good luck

David

6 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

They all do this unfortunately, doesn't matter where in the UK they are located.

With surface rust I agree,  this was much worse and I was lucky not to need a new subframe as they could repair, re-proof it. I wouldn't minimise the risks, not worth it.

Believe them, the Scottish ones are worse as they are exposed to salted roads for much longer.