Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving From Rx400h To Is220d

Hi guys new to the forum and looking for some advise on buying a is220d.

The car will be for my mum who is currently driving an RX400h but is looking to downsize. The IS looked like the ideal solution and it seems you can pick up a very nice example for good money. I originally thought its a Lexus it will be bulletproof but after doing some research is has quite a few bad reviews and also found info on the head gasket problems, oil consumption and dpf problems but also noticed people commenting that the dealers are very helpful. Another thing i picked up on is most people say forget the diesel and get the IS250 however this is just not an option as looking at the MPG figures this car would cost more to run than the RX400h so it really has to be the diesel.

After reading the some negative feedback on the 220d and looked at the mpg stats of the 250 i had written the IS off and started looking elsewhere however there is nothing out there for the same money that i would consider and any that i did look up had even more known issues than the 220d. So with the reality that most cars have their issues I decided to take another look and put this post up as i do really like the IS model and the current Lexus has served us well but milage is creeping up and think its time to move on.

So I'm looking for some advise on buying a IS220d, things to look out for, any recalls and anything that may be needing done on a circa 2008 50k miles car

Thanks

Classic example of all or nothing principle - IS250 or no IS at all!

However, the IS250 is not actually very much shorter or narrower than an RX400h. The only area she'll be downsizing in is height, boot space and rear legroom.

Even if you find a really good one - does she do 20000 miles/pa and lots of motorway miles? If not, the really good one will join the ranks of problem cars pretty soon.

I would keep the Rx, getting a 220d over that is insanity. The mpg of the is250 is fine, I have one over a year and I am not begging for money by the footpath to get by..!

The mpg in these are way exaggerated. Around town you will get mid to late 20s and on long motorway runs you will get 30s and high 30s.

The reliability of the 250 far surpasses any extra mpg you 'might' get out of the 220d as its not all that economical in the first place.

• Like 1