Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I think you'll have to fix it in order to be able to sell it to recoup any money at all.

So with that in mind and as it's relatively low mileage, 90+% of the major items have been repaired/replaced AND you love driving it, I would be inclined to try and keep it for the next 3-5 yrs as you should have some peace of mind knowing so much has been fixed/renewed.

Also, has any of the work you have had done or having done (inverter) covered by any warranty, for a year for example?

You could try pushing this point with the garage as a 1/2yr warranty for the work done on the inverter/IPM would certainly be great peace of mind!

Just my thoughts...!

I tend to agree with Chris.

Mine is 8 years old but it's fantastic, the best car I've ever had and in fact I think the shape of the 400 is better than the 450 but then again that may be because I'm a bit biased there LOL.

Good luck with your repairs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would see if you can get more than 1/4 from the Warranty company.

If it's a warranty issue, surely they should pay it all?

Good luck!

Many warranties have a maximum payout which is probably what is in play here otherwise the item is either covered or it isn't.

Personally I would have just purchased a unit from a breakers. Giving Lexus £4000 for a part that probably only costs a few hundred pounds to manufacture doesn't seem right.

I'd also be contacting Lexus and getting them to inspect it to see if it should have been in the recall. Has your dealer offered any explanation why it has failed so soon after they performed work on that part of the vehicle?

• Like 1

The full inverter unit has been replaced will get more detail tommorow. Suppose parts and repair only covered for 12 months unless anyone can advise if the inverter has a longer cover period ?

Told it is about a 4.5 hour job to replace

CJ

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

It's Fixed I pick it up tommorow

CJ

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I hope it all goes well from now on!

Happy driving.

:)

Make sure you get the old inverter from them, don't let them chuck it away or "send it back to Lexus". It's your property, not theirs.

I'd be opening it up to see what's failed. There are many sad tales of Mercedes garages telling customers that their gearbox ECU, filled with spilled ATF, is dead and needs replacing at a cost of thousands. And yet, cleaning the ATF off with solvent miraculously fixes the ECU. I don't see what could possibly be in that inverter that can't be replaced or repaired by someone with basic electronic fault-finding skills - like a car ECU repair shop.

• Like 1

Have the car back and so far so good she drives beautifully . The breakdown experience and cost aside both of which are a real shock to the system Lexus Hull have been most helpful and once parts received and independent warranty position identified quickly got the car back on the road.

Fingers crossed for some trouble free motoring over the coming months.

Must say having slightly fallen for the GS loan car getting back into the RX is a reminder of all the reasons I bought it in the first place the sheer practicality being the most important.

CJ

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I'm not sure where I heard it CJ (I think it was someone from Lexus) but I was told when I bought mine that if a hybrid invertor failed Lexus would stand on for the invertor minus the labour cost .... and with the recalls that the 400 has had I would be asking for some money & chasing it to the top of the chain if needs be ... especially given your low mileage ...remember if you don't ask you don't get ... ;-)

... glad your up and running again m8 ...

It's a bit late for you now but I would have advised a second opinion on anything done at Hull Lexus. I know of a 350 that they charged over 3k to replace timing chain, 12 months later there is oil leaking from the timing chain cover and they are quoting over 2k to replace the cover. To my mind if they were the ones replacing the chain which involved replacing/sealing the cover and it later leaks they should be willing to cover at least some of the costs but they apparently didnt want to know. That attitude despite it being serviced by them since new and having over £16k worth of bills from Lexus Hull over the 8/9 years they had been servicing it. If thats a representation of customer loyalty it stinks.

I am less than 30 miles from Hull but travel to Lexus Sheffield for any work I need doing which really shouldnt be necessary if I felt Hull were a good dealership I felt happy to trust.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

My RX400h 2006 Lexus was overheating and the dash had the warning water temperature.  I took it to a Lexus Dealer and they told me that my radiator had a leak, so they replaced my the hybrid radiator which is located in the front of the vehicle.  They then called me to tell me that the radiator was installed, but it did not stop the car from overheating.  They then said it maybe the thermostat and if that doesn't fix the problem then it could be the water pump or the head gasket.  I also asked them for a copy of the diagnostic which they originally told me it was on the computer.  I then t old them to print me a copy.  The Diagnostic showed there was a code P0A1B.  I asked the service technician what does that code mean and he indicated it was the code for the hybrid radiator.  I had the car seen by another mechanic and they told me that the P0A1B code means the inverter is going up.  He also indicated that the Lexus dealer should not have repaired the inverter radiator because nothing was wrong with it when he looked at the car.  He is now asking me to replace the thermostat, timing belt and water pump.  I don't want to put more money into the vehicle if this isn't going to stop the car from overheating.  Please help me to make a decision on what to do or what maybe the real problem.

1. Has timing belt been replaced at correct mileage. 

2.Is water pump leaking and was it replaced with (1).

3. If its inverter problem then why consider 1and 2 unless it saves labour sorting inverter. 

Thermostat could be the cause of course which is hopefully a cheap job. 

Head gasket issues can normally be determined by a decent mechanic I would have thought. 

I don't quite understand why the petrol engine would overheat if the Hybrid radiator was the problem as I thought there were 2 separate systems for hybrid and petrol(but I may well be wrong). 

Might be worth getting a 3rd opinion before throwing money into the car. 

Without knowing more about the car it's difficult to give advice ... the mileage, the service history, has it had a bump is it used for towing etc ... I do agree with Les though the hybrid system is a seperate system, are you sure they changed the hybrid rad ? ... If it was the engine rad that failed it would make more sense but that might not have been the actual cause ...

anyway if its still overheating and losing water, if you find where its losing it from this may give you a clue as to whats wrong, ...  also make sure your fan is working, if everythings water tight and its still overheating I would change the thermostat and hope that cures it, and make sure there are no air locks in the water system, If the pumps due and hasn't been changed then it would be next, I would also change the timing belt & tensioner if I was doing the pump ... if the heads gone i would think that it would be a knock on from overheating ... I wouldn't use the car at all while its overheating  ...