Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Other Egr

Badger1966

Hello all,

I had started this in my original post but I think people must be missing it so I thought I would start a new topic about this particular issue.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations about cleaning the EGR No.2 on the opposite side of the engine, behind the turbo. Or even if it's worth doing at all. I don't know if it blocks up like the other one does. My engine has almost 140k miles though. Although it had a new engine at 93k miles. The other EGR No.2 appears to be attached the the EGR cooler. But I think it will be possible to detach the EGR and leave the cooler in place. Try these photobucket links for pics, I hope it works...

http://s284.photobuc...html?sort=2&o=0

This one shows the tube and the nuts/bolts that I think need to be removed before I could just take the EGR off...

http://i284.photobuc...ng?t=1436038990

I can't seem to attach a picture here so I hope the links work. I got
the links by right clicking the pics and clicking "copy link location"
Fingers crossed.

Cheers all.

post-48960-0-65650900-1436634233_thumb.p

post-48960-0-39270900-1436634262_thumb.p

Hi I've not had that pipe block up but have had a few blocked up egr coolers but it usually brings up p0400 code .gets full of soot. We used to send them to be cleaned out at local engineering shop who had a big hot degreasing machine that works under pressure

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Dave_Wigley,

Thanks for your reply. Well I am getting an "2015 TECHSTREAM TIS TOYOTA LEXUS SCION DIAGNOSTIC MINI OEM VCI Interface scanner" So I will find out what codes are are causing my problems. Well thats if I can figure out how to use it! Although I am quite capable of taking it off, I don't like the look of the job. As the engine was rebuilt just short of 100k miles and now has around 145k I hope it will be ok. I understand they replace the cooler at the same time? Well lets wait and see what the scanner thing tells me. Should arrive this week fingers crossed.

Hellooo,

Well I have managed to get some fault codes...

P0093 Fuel System Leak detected - Large Leak (although I can't imagine its true, I cant smell diesel and no Diesel on the floor under car)

P0098 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High

Any ideas ?

Hello everyone,

Well I tried Lexus and Toyota for the sensor but both wanted around £112 inc vat for it. So I managed to find one at a breakers yard that was local to me for only £10! awesome. It came from a Toyota Corolla Verso D4D and the part number is 89424-60010. I imagine any thing that uses the same engine has the same sensors? Any way, I cleaned it up with some alcohol based contact cleaner that does not leave a residue and popped it in on Tuesday (4 days ago) And I have not had a single problem since. I do think the ECU must be getting used to the new sensor readings as the car is feeling a little better each day. But the main thing is no more going into limp mode, well so far any way. And I have driven in conditions that would normally make the fault happen, early morning with cooler air and also raining as well. But all good. Also the problem I had with the car having massive flat spot in power at around 2500rpm seem to be getting better and better the more I drive it. Yesterday I did an 80 mile round trip and really give it some beans on the A and B roads there, and on the way back I put some stuff in with the diesel called "Drive Clean"

(http://www.clean-drive.co.uk) Quite an interesting read. (Available at Motaman if your in Bristol) And on the way back I kept it between 2500 and 3000rpm all the way and again hard acceleration where ever possible. And the flat spots in power are getting less and less noticeable. I will keep you updated as time goes by, well due to the lack of feedback here I don't really know who I'm keeping updated. But if anything I have been talking about helps anyone then I guess it's worth keeping on posting here.

Well done you...£10 eh!! Result or what.

Sorry no input before...I'm using that petrol stuff. Had a 220d but that was a while back now.

I used Archoil AR 6200 additive at 5ml per 50 litre fill up and then the BG244 at 8000 mls or so intervals. For me they seemed to work well.

I used to strip out the EGR and clean and check it too, every 8000 mls or so.

• Like 1

Hi normski2, Thinking I should have brought petrol version! But I have to say the car just keeps feeling better and better. I would suggest to anyone that has the same problem of a flat spot in power at 2500rpm to change that sensor. And if you can get one second hand one like me for around £10, it's worth a go for that money. I use Millers Diesel Power Ecomax as my usual fill up additive. Works great for me.

Well despite changing the air intake temperature sensor 2, and the car feeling and driving much better. It has decided to go into limp mode again :msn-cry: And as usual, stop the car, turn it back on and it's just like nothing happened. There appears to be a fault with my mini VCI cable so I can't plug it back into the OBDII port until a new one arrives next week. And so the saga continues.....