Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorcyclists?

Just wondered how many on here ride a bike. I've ridden for longer than I care to remember, and can't imagine not having a bike of some sort in the garage. Current steed has taken me all over the place, many trips through France into Spain over the past 10 years or so, all very enjoyable....some very (very!) wet ones too!

This photo was taken last year en route to meet the rest of the family down near Girona. I came hurtling round a sweeping left-hander on a deserted road south of Caen and was confronted by.....another German tank!

post-53458-0-01114900-1436697309_thumb.j

Pete

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

fellow biker here,been riding longer than i like to admit,lol.slowed down now and ride a glide standard ,wife rides cb1300.do france italy etc .couldn't imagine not being able to ride, it keeps me sane...well sort off!!!

Hi Gary.

Well, that's the 2 of us on here then! :D

The only Harleys I've been astride were a Dyna Wide Glide Sport (I think....!), and a V-Rod.....talk about chalk and cheese! I did like the V-Rod, amazingly fast bike, I only rode it for a few hours though, in a 'back-to-back' road test for a work magazine article. The other one was way, way too vibey for my tastes! I do like the CB1300 too, a proper modern classic.

I know just what you mean regarding sanity! B)

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Only just got to this section, I read as slow as I ride these days? In fact I don't ride anymore thanks to a stroke in 2005. My life on bikes started 'legally' in 1963 with an Aerial Arrow golden sports. Moving on to a BSA 500 Gold Star, BSA, RGS. Then went Japanese. Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha. Then MotoMartin CBX. Harris Magnum. (Still got the last bike I raced in the garage. (TD2B) Also have my Yamaha RD 500 LC sitting in the garage. Have to agree with Pete about Harleys. Riding one confirmed to me why I have never wanted one. But biking is extremely personal. If it suits you then its not up for discussion. As I still have 3 in the garage do I 'qualify'? Does that make 3 of us??? Bye the way, I used to sponsor Des Barry and Ray Stringer, Bought Ray 3 Suzuki GSXR 750's and an OWO1 Yamaha.

• Like 1

There's some seriously tasty stuff gets a mention there Rob!.....yep, you're most definitely in the gang of 3!! :)

I was never into the older Brit stuff - my only experience of a 'classic' Brit name was the Norton Interpol/Commanders that I used to ride at work, impressive enough machines in their own way, although the engines were way, way too fast for the frame/suspension/brakes! Our work mechanic used to buy up the decommissioned ones and race them in some classic series. Didn't the Norton rotary engines end up powering unmanned target 'planes?! A sad demise, but I do like the look of the latest Commandos.

Which bit of Lincolnshire do you live in? Its my favourite haunt on 2 wheels - some very nice roads out there....and very little traffic to spoil them!

Pete

Hi Pete, you must be a 'youngster'? Norton Interpol/Commanders.... Used to be 'Noddy bikes' (watercooled velocettes) and Triumph Saints when I was a lad.. :whistling: Raced the Gold Star, Kawasaki's and Yams. (well I thought I was racing, probably get an argument from others...) Was never fast enough so, got out.. I live just outside the City Centre Pete, Lovely biking roads hereabouts, but its another reason I haven't taken the bike out again, apart from 'not trusting' myself anymore, 'skill wise', You know what happens when you are just 'pootling' around minding your own business and some Barry Sheene 'wannabe' comes blasting past... Only moved here 2 years ago, a mate moved a few weeks ago near to Boston, but he's got a 2 wheeled tractor.. (Harley.) :shutit: Sorry to go 'on and on', but its type this out or. Talk to the missus.... :winky:

. As I still have 3 in the garage do I 'qualify'? Does that make 3 of us??? Bye the way, I used to sponsor Des Barry and Ray Stringer, Bought Ray 3 Suzuki GSXR 750's and an OWO1 Yamaha.

My daughter used to be Des Barry's children's nanny!

My biking days are over - passed my bike test in 1963 on a Lambretta, the next dayi bought a Norton 350. Big gap (25 years ish) before a 400 Yamaha and various Hondas, the last being a CX500.

The motor from a wrecked CX powers my 3wheeler (see my avatar pic), through the drivetrain to the rear wheel. As many other bits from the bike were used, you might say I'm still biking, but with stabilisers.......

Malcolm

• Like 2

Hi Malcolm, shouldn't that have a JaP engine in the front??? :winky: Looks very nice, certainly prettier than any 'plastic maggot' ever was. I hope you've got the 'obligatory' leather flying helmet and goggles? 'OMG'! Lambretta? I purposely didn't mention the Vespa GS160 or Lambretta Li150 I had.. :blush: You have me at a disadvantage reference Des Barry's kids, I lost touch with Des when he moved away from Bedfordshire, when he was still courting Helen.. Was the Norton a Model 50. Navigator or Jubilee?

Rob, Thanks for the reply,

It DOES have a JAP engine up front!! (as in Japanese?)

Des was living just north of Watford, but his wife wasn't Helen, began with H though..............

Model 50, 1958, unfortunately pre-featherbed frame.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, I think on reflection her name was Hilary? They moved from Bedfordshire to Kings Langley. 1958. Model 50. So no slimline featherbed, or semi bathtub back end... I 'do' like your 3 wheeler.... ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I love bikes as well as my lex, my bike is a vfr 750fl of 1990 vintage owned it for 5 years now ,previous bikes vfr750fg, bmw K100 written off by a nissan sunny in north london after a 2000 mile around Spain and Portugal !!, suzi gs550, CBR600, Kwaka Z200, first bike going back a bit here was a Triumph tiger cub , now that last bike has given my age away !

Allan

Triumph cub. Nice little bike for a 200cc. But that was the problem, Triumph tried to get too much out of those 200 cc's. I hope yours had the petrol gauge in the headlight nacelle?? VFR Is a lovely machine, I have a V4 too, but mine is a stroker...

Hi Rob, my tiger cub was so long ago I can't remember if it even had a headlight let alone a fuel gauge !

My vfr is my big boy toy these days ,whenever I ride it I feel ten years younger

Allan

Hi Allan.

I do like VFRs - and I bet yours sounds lovely with that Micron fitted....I can almost hear it howling! I had a '98 VFR800 a while ago, bought as a 'stopgap' from a mate when I sold my Mille - I loved it, almost the perfect bike.....had I not ordered a BMW, I'd have kept it. I almost bought a VFR1200 last year, but couldn't get on with the looks, although the engine was awesome - there's something about 'odd' cylinder layouts that appeals. V4s, flat twins (my current steed), V-twins, triples.....so much more variety than you get in cars! Well, my IS250 has a stab at it I suppose! :)

Ride safe.

Pete