Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Coolant Issue

Ryanis220d

Hi new to the forum and bought a 2007 is220d as i loved my is200 I had. I know now headgaskets are a common problem on these cars and have had it diagnosed as this by a mechanic bit im not convinced. Car will use coolant if its topped up to the max line and will drop until it gets below the slow line then not use another drop. So it seems to be pressurising the coolant bottle when full. There is no milky oil cap and the oil was changed for a regular service and is still clear. The car will give off white smoke when warm but not all the time and still has good power and drives as it should. Economy seems to be around 40mpg or so. The car had a new turbo and dpf 11 months ago by the previous owner who said the smoke problem started then and swore blind on the test drive it didnt use coolant.

Any ideas?

From driving the car a bit more the car is definitely not using coolant once it gets to the low line of the coolant bottle. Im now convinced tho its intermittently down on power too.

So cleaned the egr valve on a whim and it was fairly sooty and seemed to be stuck open by about 1-2mm. Cleaned and refitted, so far zero smoke and power seems consistent, fingers crossed it cures the smoke but still no further on as to why it uses coolant when topped up to the max line and uses it until its below the low line.

• 3 months later...

That does not look good :(

Appears to be over pressurization of the cooling system, which is most likely head gasket related.

Can you get a mechanic to sniff test it? Then you should know for certain.

Hi,

I think it is the thermostat. wednesday i will leave my car with my mechanic for he see if the problem is really the thermostat.
Can be to the radiator. may be clogged.
Wednesday i will bring more news.
the thermostat costed 22€

Yes the cover is securely closed. The temperature only increased when I accelerate much (when I'm passing 160km / h). Only heats up when the engine works very hard.

Does not heat within the city.

It can also be dirty radiator. I will ask the mechanic to take a look as well.

Looks like an extreme leak, possibly water pump which is a common toyota/lexus problem.....had mine go on my car at three years old, its about £400 fitted by lexus (from memory)

• 4 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links