Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Frozen Nav Screen

Hi guys, just took my isf in for frozen nav sceen and the service manager said he does not think it is covered under extended warranty, and will be about £2500 to replace. Does anyone know if the screen is covered or not? Only thing i think they could say is that it comes under interior trim..

Also my drivers seat has a bit of play in it so asked them to tighten up the bolts, they said it need a whole new seat frame at a cost of £5k!!! Again he did not know if this is also covered under the extended warranty,

He is coming to find out tomorrow and get back to me

Anyway my first post here so hi everyone

Kieron

Welcome to the club .... Those are cruel prices - the kind of cost an insurance company would write the car off against.

You can purchase a decent 250 for that money !!!

Surely the seat should not come loose under any circumstance within its normal use - pressing this point home to the dealer to make them realise it is a risk to the safety of the occupants may persuade them to repair it. If no luck with that its definitely worth a letter to head office as the last thing they want is to deal with another recall but saying that if there are other owners out there in the same position then its wise to bring it to the fore...

Welcome. My drivers seat had a small amount of play as well and seems very normal. They won't replace it. Mine was inspected and I was told it's safe.

Satnav I would be pushing for replacement. That's not on.

Stu

Hi guys, just took my isf in for frozen nav sceen and the service manager said he does not think it is covered under extended warranty, and will be about £2500 to replace. Does anyone know if the screen is covered or not? Only thing i think they could say is that it comes under interior trim..

Also my drivers seat has a bit of play in it so asked them to tighten up the bolts, they said it need a whole new seat frame at a cost of £5k!!! Again he did not know if this is also covered under the extended warranty,

He is coming to find out tomorrow and get back to me

Anyway my first post here so hi everyone

Kieron

Welcome Kieron...there is a fix for the frozen nav screen.

Hope this helps

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/610678-frozen-navigation-screen-fix-diy.html

The description of the Extended Warranty on the Lexus UK web site:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty-and-insurance/#/LexusCareExtendedWarranty

specifically includes both "Electrics" and "Air Conditioning".

If your IS-F is like my 250 SE-L, then the screen is an electrical component, and it is not possible to adjust the air conditioning (or stereo, etc) without it being operative.

My personal definition of "Trim" is something which only affects how the car looks, but does not provide any functionality. There's no way, in my book, that the screen should be classed as "Trim".

(I had a long argument with BMW Warranty Services once over the glass in the door mirror on my M5. They said that it wasn't covered under warranty as it was "Glass". I said that, as it contained a heating element, and auto-dipping functionality, it was an "Electrical Component" and should be covered. The glass part alone - without the housing, etc - was £265, so worth arguing over.)

Hi, yes they now cover electrics, just waiting to see if they consider the multi media screen as electronic or interior trim. Can't see how they can say it's trim as its a main part of the car and lots of features are lost without it.

Will post back when I get an answer from lexus

Hi, yes they now cover electrics, just waiting to see if they consider the multi media screen as electronic or interior trim. Can't see how they can say it's trim as its a main part of the car and lots of features are lost without it.

My extended warranty with Warranty Wise covered it, so the Lexus official one should definitely cover it as well, otherwise you should complain. Sat nav is not interior trim, that is a ridiculous suggestion.

My extended warranty with Warranty Wise covered it, so the Lexus official one should definitely cover it as well, otherwise you should complain. Sat nav is not interior trim, that is a ridiculous suggestion.

Agreed that's a completely absurd suggestion. How is a sat nav interior trim?

Still waiting to hear back from dealership, they said they are waiting to hear from lexus head office to see if they will cover it under extended warranty. Been 2 weeks now so getting a bit frustrating

I had to get a new screen on mine, its a easy enough fix, the whole unit does not need to go, just the touch screen part. I would kick up a right fuss with Lexus. Its a known issue on these cars and they should know that themselves.

Right just had a call from Lexus Croyden and they now need to re-inspect the car to see if the warranty claim will go through, booked in for the 17th. waited 2 weeks to be told they need to look at it again... not the best service if i'm honest, and that is one of the main reasons i moved away from my previous cars of bmw/jaguar for the top rated service.

wil keep you posted

Hi All,

I haven't contributed to this forum for some time, but this subject prompted me to find my password.

When I first renewed my Lexus warranty a couple of years ago I asked the service manager specifically about the nav screen and he told me that he couldn't see any reason for it not to be covered (but he doesn't work there any more).

Second point: If they ultimately refuse the repair, and it looks like they are moving in that direction you could try pointing out that if this came to court, the court would likely seek guidance as to the definition of "trim" from some learned text such as the Oxford English Dictionary which gives the following definition:

"Decorative additions to a vehicle, typically the upholstery or interior lining of a car"

Can't see anything there about nav screens!

There is no way that a nav screen can be regarded as trim as it is not an inanimate component covering up the engineering bits. It actually has a function as an electronic switch to control elements of the car and if Lexus tries to argue that it is trim, shame on them. Lexus have made their name on reliability and customer service mostly, as the majority of their cars (ISF excluded) are pretty unremarkable and they should not be trying to wriggle out of what their warranty promises. The warranty is a legal contract between customer and Lexus and if they have drafted the wording in a way that doesn't suit them, that's their problem not ours.

kieron1977 - if you have legal expenses cover on your home insurance it might be worth a chat with their advisors as to how to react if they turn you down, so as not to prejudice any legal action you might want to take.

Also - £2500 for something that has slightly less functions than a £40 smartphone???

Rant over

Keep us posted

trawl the net and obtain all articles of the nat screen issue relating to the digitizer ribbon breaking. If Lexus don't play ball go to a small claims court or whatever, with all the evidence that it is a manufacturing defect they will eventually suck it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, hope you all had a good summer. Car is now booked in for the 14th sept as was traveling when it was previously booked it, so will let you know how it goes.

On a side note my brakes have been playing up, pedal is very soft and not much bite until way down near the floor. Had someone look it over and he thinks the rear brakes are not engaging and is prop the master cyclinder so another job for Lexus to look into.

Funny as the parking brake light has been on a while now and I took it into Lexus to look it over along with the nav screen and loose seat and they said that the light is just due to a faulty switch which they will replace, would be pretty bad if the light came on due to a fault in the brakes occurring and they did not even notice or check it over.

Anyway will keep you all posted

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Right, really not happy with lexus Croyden, car was booked in for oct 12th only to get a call Fri 9th at 5pm to cancel the booking as the Sat nav had not arrived, this is now 3 weeks after they confirmed the warranty claim. Anyway they booked me in for the week after which was yesterday, so I called them Fri to make sure the part had arrived. They confirmed it has so I took my car down there yesterday and took a replacement car which they had booked in for a few days.

I get a call this morning to say the car is ready to collect but they could not replace the Sat nav as the part had not arrived! They then said I had to give the hire car back by this afternoon as it's booked in for someone else.

I went a bit mad at the service guy and basically refused to give the car back until my car is fixed.

After a heated discussion they were telling me how much they had gone out their way to get the Sat nav covered under warranty for me and that I should be grateful they are fixing it free of charge, they said they had to choice but to let me keep the hire car until my car is ready to collect but that it's going to cost them a lot of money to leave me with the car. They called back 5 mins later and said the car should be ready on Monday and basically put the phone down on me.

Anyway bit shocked by all of this actually esp as I moved to lexus brand because if their excellent customer service.

Will keep you posted to how all this plays out.

Ouch! I would t go there again as I would now question he quality of work being done on my car. I would also complain! I had nothing but good experiences with Woodford but some have had issues with them as well. Totally unacceptable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links