Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Insurance - This Is News To Me

lee789

Please see attached article from U-Switch. I have never declared any factory fitted options when taking out a policy, and didn't think you needed to. I know that after market mods are declarable. However, this article says that some insurers need to know everything fitted to car above standard base spec. Is it true, or just scaremongering rubbish? If true, I reckon millions must be driving around with factory options, unaware that their insurance may be invalid.

http://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/modified-car-insurance/?ref=email~insight~150720~uswitch_&utm_campaign=insight&utm_content=150720&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uswitch

It's as bad as that ridiculous kwik-fit article from a few weeks back where they claimed that charging your phone in your car would damage the battery...

Don't tell me they went on to say that their own brand batteries were specially designed to allow mobile phone charging without causing damage :)

Utter drivel The model defines the factory fitted items but yes if you have ordered extras at the time of purchase then, in the event of a loss) if you want to be paid then you should tell your insurer as in most cases it will increase the value making it more expensive to insure

Utter drivel The model defines the factory fitted items but yes if you have ordered extras at the time of purchase then, in the event of a loss) if you want to be paid then you should tell your insurer as in most cases it will increase the value making it more expensive to insure

Haven't you contradicted yourself? First you say it is nonsense than then you say ordered extras been to be declared.

If you don't declare paid for extras, be them factory fitted or accessories, then your insurance company may not pay out for them.

The model certainly doesn't define all factory fitted items - less of an issue for Lexus but a BMW for example could be a basic SE with 100's of factory fitted options, adding 50% to the list price.

Yes, looking at articles on the web, some insurers want to know everything fitted above base spec, whilst some appear not to. My company states mods are anything not fitted on the car at date of first registration, so they seem to accept factory fitted options with no questions. This must be very confusing for anybody buying a used car, and not knowing what is and what is not original, or what the factory options are if their company needs to know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links