Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rc-f's Taken A Big Hit!

2 hours ago, ronaldo said:

The article below is focusing on a 2015 car with 17,968 miles currently on Autotrader for £36,750. Some of those commenting seem to be of the opinion that the equivalently priced M4 is a better buy (not in my opinion) :) 

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/hilarious-depreciation-makes-this-471bhp-lexus-rc-f-look-like-a-bargain/

All keyboard warriors who haven't driven a Fiat 500 let alone M4's, RC-F's etc. 

However, the article does suggest the RC-F has taken a massive hit. Perfect for second hand buyers!

When I was considering upgrade and was deeply disappointed with RC300h.... I actually had idea... I can buy new RC300h and with all must have options it will cost more than 1 years old RC-F with even more options (because RC-F just better equipped standard)... so WHY NOT TO JUST BUY RC-F!? Obviously, I know that by the time I will get around buying RC300h it will have massive hit to the value too... But if that day would have been few month ago RC-F is no brainer deal if one not happy with RC300h/200t performance and rather looking for something like RC350 (like me).

On 2/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, ronaldo said:

The article below is focusing on a 2015 car with 17,968 miles currently on Autotrader for £36,750. Some of those commenting seem to be of the opinion that the equivalently priced M4 is a better buy (not in my opinion) :) 

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/hilarious-depreciation-makes-this-471bhp-lexus-rc-f-look-like-a-bargain/

btw they are referring to this particular one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611300204979?sort=price-asc&make=LEXUS&postcode=rm70fj&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=RC F&page=1

I was eyeballing it for few month now. It was posted ~ November at 39k and was taking incremental discounts every month. Probably not been on the road since ~October. I believe they would probably let it go for even less as it is though sell. Like it is not enough it is in my favorite colour scheme (graphite + red)..

10 hours ago, Linas.P said:

btw they are referring to this particular one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611300204979?sort=price-asc&make=LEXUS&postcode=rm70fj&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=RC F&page=1

I was eyeballing it for few month now. It was posted ~ November at 39k and was taking incremental discounts every month. Probably not been on the road since ~October. I believe they would probably let it go for even less as it is though sell. Like it is not enough it is in my favorite colour scheme (graphite + red)..

Too dark to be Graphite. Looks like Celestial black to me

7 hours ago, rayaans said:

Too dark to be Graphite. Looks like Celestial black to me

I don't think Celestial Black is available on RC-F either it is gloss black aka Velvet black (212 - same as on my current IS250) or Black with some pearl flakes which is "graphite" same as on the RC300h I had for 24 test drive.

On 09/02/2017 at 8:42 PM, Linas.P said:

I don't think Celestial Black is available on RC-F either it is gloss black aka Velvet black (212 - same as on my current IS250) or Black with some pearl flakes which is "graphite" same as on the RC300h I had for 24 test drive.

That's for 2016 models. 

The car in the photo is on 15 plate. Graphite black was first introduced on the RX which started on 65 plates.

Either way, celestial looks better regardless. The gold flake looks better than the silver in graphite

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see there are now 20 for sale on Auto Trader. I find it strange that someone hasn't snapped up the one that's been for sale over a month now at £36,750. It appears that the free publicity via the Car Throttle article wasn't enough to shift it.

1 hour ago, ronaldo said:

I see there are now 20 for sale on Auto Trader. I find it strange that someone hasn't snapped up the one that's been for sale over a month now at £36,750. It appears that the free publicity via the Car Throttle article wasn't enough to shift it.

Im sure many went to view it. 

The problem with this kind of car is that people would rather spend the extra £2k or so to get one from a Lexus dealer (I know I would). 

And also, no idea on what the exterior condition of the car is and why Lexus themselves haven't snapped it up by now for asking price and stuck it on their site for £2-3k more. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Im sure many went to view it. 

The problem with this kind of car is that people would rather spend the extra £2k or so to get one from a Lexus dealer (I know I would). 

And also, no idea on what the exterior condition of the car is and why Lexus themselves haven't snapped it up by now for asking price and stuck it on their site for £2-3k more. 

Yeah, that's a nice white one for £39,000 too and appears to have all the options boxes ticked. I'm not sure on those alloys and their supposed £2849 RRP.  They're aftermarket aren't they? It's a pity they are unable to take decent pictures of the vehicle either :)

6 minutes ago, ronaldo said:

Yeah, that's a nice white one for £39,000 too and appears to have all the options boxes ticked. I'm not sure on those alloys and their supposed £2849 RRP.  They're aftermarket aren't they? It's a pity they are unable to take decent pictures of the vehicle either :)

Yep definitely aftermarket wheels - they look a bit silly IMO, way too big. 

If the wheels didn't have those horrid studs on the inner rim I'd quite like them. Not a fan of the steering wheel or the colour combo on the interior at all. Looks like a wrapped roof and aftermarket exhaust. What options did he spec? Hasn't got carbon fibre pack which for me is a must on this car. Doesn't it come pretty much fully loaded?

31 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

If the wheels didn't have those horrid studs on the inner rim I'd quite like them. Not a fan of the steering wheel or the colour combo on the interior at all. Looks like a wrapped roof and aftermarket exhaust. What options did he spec? Hasn't got carbon fibre pack which for me is a must on this car. Doesn't it come pretty much fully loaded?

Only problem with the carbon fibre pack is that it comes with the Fast and Furious looking CF bonnet. The states only get the carbon fibre roof which is much better IMO.

Standard RC-Fs dont come with TVD, sunroof, ML or ACC. 

So I guess the dealer has specced pretty much everything.

The roof has been wrapped and the Steering wheel is aftermarket as well. Not sure on the exhaust, just looks a bit filthy.

Well modifying the cars is risky business if you ever want to resell them, what you like might be quite opposite to all potential buyers, so not only you not get your money on mods, but as well you might get less than a stock car. 

I would not buy modified performance car ever... unless total bargain. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, ronaldo said:

Well, it went for £36,000 as you'll see in the video below by the new owner. There are still 5 vehicles in Auto Trader ranging from £37,000 to £40,000 though (and 14 more above that)

Upgrades sounds like... this particular example will be sadly lost in action... Though even bigger hit to the value for all us to be more affordable. 

Wait did he said last driver sold it for £18k!?

1 minute ago, wendle said:

i think he meant that the last driver sold it with 18K on the clock because he was concerned that it would loose even more value with higher millage.

It was not very clear, but you probably right - through PX was probably not far of the dead bottom figure, especially considering how much they struggled to sell it and how much they dropped the price over 6 month.

iam not sure what all this  " RC-F taken a big hit " is all about, a basic M4 coupe costs 58K new, they have a 2015 M4 coupe on the BMW website with 18k on the clock up for 40K which you will probably get for 38K ish so whats the difference? and 58K is the basic price with no added options, the one for sale has a few added options so the initial cost was probably  over 58K.

• Like 2

I guess... it is like "RC-F taken big hit", because (1) - "all new cars takes big hit in first 3 years", (2) "all luxury car takes even bigger hit, because they sold at higher premium", (3) "all performance cars takes big hit, because they are performance cars and maybe are occasionally trashed around the track and are more expensive to service (and even more if they are luxury + performance)"....

As RC-F meets all 3 above points it is not surprising it took "big hit". That is not to say other new+luxury+performance car fares any better, probably worse for Bentleys, MB S-Coupe, or BMW 6 series. So all this is not surprise, quite opposite it was expected and "all this" is pretty much just to track the the progress of it happening.

Other perspective is that RC-F was welcomed by many very cold review by top car journalists - in short "negative press" and was not to say "best selling car". I doubt Lexus planned to ship many of them, still it could have been better. It is greatly illustrated by £36k example - it was very good and competitively priced, still took 6 month to sell. Selling one new for £60k+ must be hard labour for Lexus dealerships, when even half price nearly new cars struggles.

Finally, if car made 30k dive in 2 years and we expect the trend to continue for another year... it will probably will take 1st place in "best value for money nearly new luxury performance car 2018" title. That is not to say it will sell for £21k, but drop probably will start flatten out at end... what is for sure sub-30k will definitely be the case. I personally much more interested on RC-F price impact to IS-F... we still have IS-F selling at £33k and they are 2 years older (the model itself is actually 10 years older) and have more miles on.... It is unthinkable that someone would pay more for older car, with more miles .. so that means 2013 IS-F will be have ceiling of ~26-28k and subsequently all older IS-F.... SO it is indeed interesting topic..

1 hour ago, wendle said:

iam not sure what all this  " RC-F taken a big hit " is all about, a basic M4 coupe costs 58K new, they have a 2015 M4 coupe on the BMW website with 18k on the clock up for 40K which you will probably get for 38K ish so whats the difference? and 58K is the basic price with no added options, the one for sale has a few added options so the initial cost was probably  over 58K.

The RC-F's online aren't exactly basic either. Many seem to have the TVD, ACC and ML system which adds £5k onto them

When you consider how rare these things are, they should really be holding their value better especially after all the Lexus dealers were like "its limited production so they'll hold their value well" - doesn't appear to be the case. 

BMW dealers have to remain competitive and hence they drive their price down more readily as there are so many M4's to choose from.

I believe the facelift model is also taking orders so thats driven the price of earlier models down too. The RC-F will probably plummet once the facelifted model is released early next year

• 2 weeks later...

There's one available at £35,750 with 25k on the clock. Definitely starting to make some of the higher priced ISF's on Auto Trader look like very poor deals. Especially with the GS-F values following the RC-F values down.

I'm starting to reconsider my 08/09 ISF plan for this year. I don't actually need the four doors and, by the time I save another £8,000 on top of what I'd planned for the ISF, the RCF should be available for £28k or so. Really want that V8 sooner though :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ronaldo said:

There's one available at £35,750 with 25k on the clock. Definitely starting to make some of the higher priced ISF's on Auto Trader look like very poor deals. Especially with the GS-F values following the RC-F values down.

I'm starting to reconsider my 08/09 ISF plan for this year. I don't actually need the four doors and, by the time I save another £8,000 on top of what I'd planned for the ISF, the RCF should be available for £28k or so. Really want that V8 sooner though :)

or IS-F for £21k.... so win-win.

As said before, I am not that interested in RC-F price on it's own, but the impact to IS-F prices which were holding on their own, but now with downwards pressure from both RC-F and GS-F they won't hold as well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links