Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

It can be difficult to tell but they will want to see problems under the lacquer ideally before it has started to come away, that way they know it wasn't a stone that exposed the alloy which then allowed it to corrode.

It's essentially the same if they are inspecting the paintwork for defects.

Some dealers are more fussy than others, you could try another one.

Is this issue with wheels confined to the UK or does anyone know if its across the whole worldwide supply of Lexus cars...

I think I heard somewhere that the wheels were made in the UK ?

It seems to have been a long running saga for the OEM wheels corroding from the early IS's in the 90's ... and possibly the earlier LS's? You would think the issue would be resolved after at least 16 years of issues with them ... it doesn't seem to be good overall customer service for their product or continual improvement on their product as it seems to affect each model in the range?

Its a pretty substantial 'fault' with the cars even considering its just the image of it and not really mechanical - something you would expect the manufacturer to correct as it projects an immediate image of bad quality for the cars manufacturer

It has been a long standing issue with Japanese wheels. Certainly seems to affect UK based vehicles more that other countries. Various theories, one is that our salt in the winter react with the lacquer used etc. Or it's the acid alloy wheel cleaners that are common in this country. It has also been assumed that is isn't worth Toyota increasing the spec which would be applied worldwide just to help the UK market, cheaper to replace sets under warranty.

The best set I've seen on a Lexus vehicle were the GS series II sport wheels. These where made by OZ in Italy and I've never seen a corroded set, other than from external damage. The lacquer is good on them, but I'm sure part of the reason is the owners tend to take better care of them. These wheels, sourced in Europe where put on the vehicle along with the other sports mods once they arrived in the UK - the standard Japanese wheels put on in the factory where binned (or probably kept as warranty stock for the standard GSs).

The original series I IS wheels were particularly bad. Originally they replaced like for like and owners were continually having wheels replaced every year. Once Lexus GB started to get them refurbished, rather than just replacing with new wheels, they lasted much longer, which proven it was a poor OEM finish. I never understood why Lexus GB didn't just refurbish the wheels straight from the factory to avoid multiple warranty claims and the bad customer experience.

Having said all that the wheels on the current lineup do seem better, but if you do get a chip or scuff then it will allow the wheels to corrode if it isn't sealed up again with some lacquer - the same as with stone chips on metal body panels.

post-43927-0-63870800-1437601970_thumb.jI have complained again to the dealership. Lets see what happens (not holding my breath - the customer service seems to be a little worse at the same dealership now then it was a few years ago). The car is out of warranty in 4 days....

Yes it was, though today I gave the new ones a really good clean, treatment etc, and have noticed minor imperfections. 2 have what I can only describe as grit under the paint, implying that these are refurbs - which I was expecting to be honest.

Better than what I had, and I reckon the car will be gone before it becomes an issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links