Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is300h Review

My IS250 is currently having some warranty work carried out
by Bristol Lexus and they have been kind enough to loan me a 2014 IS300h
Premier. So I thought that I would add my thoughts of the car. Please remember
that this is just my opinion so be kind lol.

Firstly, I have had the car since Tuesday and used it for my
daily commute which consists of an 18 mile motorway stint with little traffic
to work followed by a 21 mile mix of A roads and inner city traffic at rush
hour. I am currently averaging 37 mpg, which is about 9mpg more than I achieve
in my IS250, but this is without trying any special hybrid tricks and a
slightly heavy right foot. I am
confident that this average would improve with time, as the car becomes less of
a novelty and I find this highly acceptable for a non-diesel car of this size.

What I liked

1. I love the over look of the car. I have to agree
with Rayaans comment that the IS300h looks fast, even when it is parked up. I
do however prefer the front of the F Sport version and only wish Lexus would
offer the options of the Premier on the F Sport version. Although I think the
only thing I would miss / could not add would be the BSM system which I kind of
like, but this would not be a deal breaker. (Please correct me if I am wrong
here)

2. Folding rear seats.

3. Front seats – Very comfortable and supportive.
It generally takes me a while to find the perfect seating position, but this
was not the case and I felt at home very quickly.

4. The TFT information screen in instrument panel.
Very informative and easy to use

5. Four front parking sensors instead of two

6. Auto door locking still present and not removed
for ‘ safety reasons’ as on the latest RX and GS

7. Handling and ride. I thought that the car

handled very well and was easy to place on the road. Whilst the steering IMO is
probably not as direct as the 3 series, it was more than good enough for
everyday driving, which lets face it, this car would spend 99.9% of its life
doing.

8. Fit and finish of the interior was perfect

9. How smooth and relaxing the car is to drive

10. How my MPG increased whilst crawling in traffic!

11. It is still a relatively rare sight on the roads and is not one of the German 3!

What I didn’t like

1. Probably the biggest disappointment here is the
Mark Levinson Sound System. As soon as I realised the car they were loaning me
was a Premier, I was excited to try the Mark Levinson system. For comparison, we have the Mark Levinson
system in our 2007 IS250 and our RX 450h and my IS250 has the 13 speaker Pioneer
system (for some reason the Mark Levinson system was removed from the 2IS for
the 2011 models). I love my music and mostly listen to Dancehall reggae, Soca,
hip hop and RnB music and whilst I fully acknowledge that these genres are not
the best to assess overall sound quality and clarity, I felt that as a direct comparison
the system in the IS300h was the worst out of the 3 Mark Levinson systems with
the RX being the best by far. The main
problem was that whilst some songs sounded good others would sound very bass
heavy and distorted. It was almost like the sub in the rear shelf was
blown. May be it is just the type of
music I listen to, but it all sounds good in the other cars. Just for reference, all of the sound levels
were set to the middle setting.

In a way, I hope there is something wrong
with the system because I have always been impressed with the Mark Levinson
brand

2. I am not really sure why Lexus have not fitted
the interior with ‘cool’ coloured LED
lights instead of the ‘warm’ ones. My IS250 has ‘cool’ coloured map reading
lights and foot well lights. I personally think that it gives the interior a
more modern feel. Obviously this is not a big issue

3. I wish it had more ‘toys’ available. Don’t get
me wrong, the Premier model is a very good spec, but apart from the Hybrid
system, BSM, driver seat assist, two extra parking sensors and a better info
system, there isn’t much more toys when compared to my IS250 SE-L. Maybe I’ve been spoilt with the spec of the
SE-L!

4. I wish the exhausts were on show. I know it is a
Lexus Hybrid trait to hide the exhaust, but the rear would look better with
exhausts either side like on the 3IS IS250 and I expect the forthcoming IS200t

5. I missed my rear blind. Not a big problem as I
would just get the rear tinted if I owned one.

So in conclusion, a great car and one that I would seriously

consider when the time comes to replace the IS250. It would have to be a white
F Sport with full black leather (I am assuming this is real and possible semi
aniline) probably the ML system as I’m hoping it will be better in another car
and the premium nav. The only question
is, do I go for the IS200t instead or a late ISF?

Thank you for reading

FA

Yep does look good but I also prefer the F sport. I'm not too fussed on the Premier kit as it just annoyed me. Too many bing's and flashing lights with RCTA and BSM. I find they distract me more

The ML needs tweaking a lot. I tend to leave mid where it is and stick both bass and treble up. Others have suggested moving the balance more towards the rear so it sounds natural. Some sources such as USB also sound better than others

I'm not too fussed about the exhausts. Just something extra to polish! Much easier to dress the plastic diffuser

My RX lights are all warm apart from the reading lights which I prefer. It feels more comforting imo with warm lights

I have to say having come from a BMW; where it seems if they could get away with it, BMW would probably charge you extra for having glass in the windows, our Premier is very very well specced. We went for the 'safety kit' on-top, and I have to say the adaptive cruise control and rear blind side reversing radar thingy are now 'must have' features on my next car - the Lexus IS the my wife's car.

The only criticism I have with the IS300H is the fact the hybrid drivetrain is pretty awful when you try to drive it in a 'sport' fashion. For 95% of the time for just commuting it's great, but for that 5% of time when you want to have some fun, it's hopeless.

There's a 0.5-1 second throttle lag, very unpredictable torque curve, makes a not very nice racket, and when the hybrid battety becomes depleted it drinks petrol as quickly as my old twin turbo 6 cylinder BMW.

It's a shame because the chassis of the IS300H is really really good. Far better stock than my old E90 M sport 3 series BMW, which had very poor damping and crash ride compared to the IS300H, especially at speed.

If fuel economy/running costs isn't a concern I would go for the 200T. It likely your be able to remap the thing later on for more power if needed. Despite my complaints I'm still very happy with our IS300H, because 95% of the time the drivetrain is perfect, and given its mainly my wife who drives the IS300H she loves the refinement of hybrid system when just commuting.

I do so wish Lexus will stick a full electric drivetrain in the IS. I'm pretty sure Toyota has the know how, and technology to replace the outdated 2.5 cylinder engine/transmission/exhaust system/fuel tank with a 40kWh Battery pack without a huge jump in kerb weight. I'll buy a £40k 200-250 mile range full electric IS tomorrow if they just get on with it and made the thing....Sadly I cannot see that happening anytime soon :(

I have to say having come from a BMW; where it seems if they could get away with it, BMW would probably charge you extra for having glass in the windows, our Premier is very very well specced. We went for the 'safety kit' on-top, and I have to say the adaptive cruise control and rear blind side reversing radar thingy are now 'must have' features on my next car - the Lexus IS the my wife's car.

The only criticism I have with the IS300H is the fact the hybrid drivetrain is pretty awful when you try to drive it in a 'sport' fashion. For 95% of the time for just commuting it's great, but for that 5% of time when you want to have some fun, it's hopeless.

There's a 0.5-1 second throttle lag, very unpredictable torque curve, makes a not very nice racket, and when the hybrid battety becomes depleted it drinks petrol as quickly as my old twin turbo 6 cylinder BMW.

It's a shame because the chassis of the IS300H is really really good. Far better stock than my old E90 M sport 3 series BMW, which had very poor damping and crash ride compared to the IS300H, especially at speed.

If fuel economy/running costs isn't a concern I would go for the 200T. It likely your be able to remap the thing later on for more power if needed. Despite my complaints I'm still very happy with our IS300H, because 95% of the time the drivetrain is perfect, and given its mainly my wife who drives the IS300H she loves the refinement of hybrid system when just commuting.

I do so wish Lexus will stick a full electric drivetrain in the IS. I'm pretty sure Toyota has the know how, and technology to replace the outdated 2.5 cylinder engine/transmission/exhaust system/fuel tank with a 40kWh battery pack without a huge jump in kerb weight. I'll buy a £40k 200-250 mile range full electric IS tomorrow if they just get on with it and made the thing....Sadly I cannot see that happening anytime soon :(

I agree to a point about the the lack of 'sport' feel when selecting 'sport' mode. Main issue as far as I can see is an over enthusiastic electronic traction control which cuts in all too easily and unwantedly if you are trying to make a rapid getaway. You actually need to be very careful with this feature if trying to pull out in to moving traffic. Yes the 'rubber band' feel is alien to many - I am OK with it - 'floor' it initially and 'back-off' to match speed. Not really 'sporty' - but its not a 'sporty' car is it?

• Like 1

Sport mode on its own is unpredictable and suffers lag. If you use sport mode, S mode on the transmission and keep in low 'gears' then the lag is almost completely removed.

It's not just the lag, but the actually torque delivery. It's probably just because I'm not good a driver, but I'm far too scared to plant the throttle in the IS300H mid corner/on a round about simply because I have no confidence what kind of torque the drivetrain is going to deliver relative to the throttle input. This make trying to correct for over-steer really unpredictable, and the TC system, I have no idea the hell is going on there, toggling it on/off seems to make no difference to anything. I'll wait till we get some snow on the ground this winter and have a little 'play' to try and understand what on earth its meant to do.

I find the torque/power delivery really odd in the IS300H, because clearly its very similar to the drivetrain in my Leaf. With no gears, the throttle SHOLD be 100% linear, ie: The harder you press the more power comes out - but in a predicable fashion. BUT because the IS300H is still a petrol car most of the time, it still needs some form of gearing to extract peak performance out of the engine, so although there are no 'gears', the power delivery still feels 'interrupted' like that on a conventional car. BUT unlike a conventional car, where the power delivery is still predictable and manageable (by using gears) the drivetrain seems to do what it wants interms of torque delivery....so some times at 3/4 throttle I feel like the car is delivering ALOT of toque, but other time at 3/4 throttle it feels likes its doing nothing.....Basically I just don't like it, not interms of performance orientated driving :msn-oh: .

But as said the IS300H isn't a 'sports' car, so it doesn't actually matter. I would however still like to see the chassis combined with proper performance orientated drivetrain, because I think it's got the potential to blow the current M3/M4 out of the water interms of driver engagement, but given there is unlikely happen here in the UK :(

Can't say it's any worse than my wife's current C220 CDI in terms of throttle response and the Merc has an overly aggressive traction control system too so no surprises. I did floor the IS300H in a corner in Sport mode and it did a nice flick in the rear end and the traction control got it back in line so can't complain. If it was a BMW I'd have wrapped it round a lamp post me thinks

Talking about (or not) 'sporty' cars - they had a RCF (if thats the name) in my Lexus dealer in 'carbon' trim. Looked nice with the blacked out wheels and carbon bonnet (hood) but kind of odd with the carbon insert panel let in to the boot (trunk) lid. Nice interior - not a very nice price though. Hope they don't plan on selling too many - at this price 'other' alternatives are close in price and probably better in terms of residual S/H values.

Speaking of the RC, I do wish there was an IS350 or RC350. but I guess from Lexus point of view there simply isn't a market for it for the number of cars they sell every year. 200t should be interesting when it turns up, I wonder if they'll stick it in the CT....

What's annoying is that Lexus Australia only sell around 7,000 vehicles per year yet they get more models (ES and LX) and within each model they get more choice (e.g. IS350, RC350, GS350) compared to the UK where Lexus sold 11,500 last year :megaangry:

• Like 1

I have to say probably one of the few cars that made it on my shortlist of cars to replace my old E90 BMW 335i was a IS350, but clearly for what ever reason Lexus feels there no market for such a car in the UK...Maybe they assume people will simply not spend £40K+ on a 'performance' saloon that isn't German :(. It's a real shame because it sounds like the IS350 just gets better/more engaging to drive the more you push it, which in my book is the hallmark of a good 'sports' car.

The TC, ESP and EBD will cut in way before you can get out of control and you can't turn them all off anyway, they still cut in if you get into trouble.

Sport mode, S mode on gearbox and a mountain pass on Tuscany with a wide 180 left turn with nothing coming got the back end to step out quite predictably with a very nice chirrup from the tyres. Then the ESp cut in and it was all over. The car was really great on the twisties, steering is very accurate and the chassis so supple and communicative. Even the ASC with the paddles between 2nd, 3rd and 4th gave some lovely sounds in the cabin, pity about the outside.

I Think the sport mode brings the car to life, with the lever over to manual mode too that is, the changes seem instant, not twin clutch quick, but it does give a good impression of changing gear, although I’m not sure if it really is, being CVT, if you get my point.

Still good enough to have some fun with, now and again.

@tinka,

100% right !. That is the key to driving it sporty, I too have discovered it has to be in sport mode + manual mode (i.e. gear stick to right) then using paddles you can chose the gear, and the throttle response becomes instant and predictable. To be honest with this config I actually can enjoy the ACS, 2nd

+ 3rd especially

If sport mode + auto mode is selected, then the "elastic band" sensation can be present, along with a lag often as the computer decides what gear to select.

P.S. I know they are not technically gears, but the gear ratios on the CVT actually perform very impressively if used right.

I'll try the sport / manual gear box mode again, but i tried it before and cannot say it impressed me that much. But I'm comparing the IS300H to my past cars, which include a Honda Integra Type R and a N54 TwinTurbo BMW, both of which are about as good as it gets for internal combustion engine.

The problem is my current car though not all that quick has by far the BEST throttle response I've experienced in any car, and there is simply no way any hybrid/petrol setup can compare with the power delivery of a pure electric power train. So perhaps I'm been overly critical of the IS300H, because 95% of the time the hybrid setup is perfect.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links