Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint problems??

Rob

What a car bra.......they look uurrggh!

You can get invisible plastic stuff like what is at the bottom of your rear door beside the arch. (IS200/300)

I've got more chips at 14k miles than my old car had at 90 thousand :o

I've never seen a car chip so much, even on the A post - and they're going rusty too.

Lexus describe a "superior" paint process and galvanised body - are they sure?

is that not under the 10 year anti corrosion warranty? or do stone chips void that?

I don't think corrosion due to chips is covered - it's normally perforation due to manufacturing defect.

I will fix them myself - just need some decent weather and the time :(

At least now I know why they gave me a pot of paint when I collected the car :smilegrin:

Hi everyone, this paint problem of easy chipping seems to be effecting all of us, I think we hould send Lexus UK report on this and see if we can get something done about it. There are solutions to protect from this, in USA you can have a tough polime clear coat etc to stop chips. If you want I will draft a polite letter and E-mail it to them.

i asked the dealer if anyone had complained before about the paint and it was a no! this i am surprised about as ever the clear coat is really soft - brush past and u have a scratch!!

Hmmm - washed my pride and joy at the weekend (now 2 weeks old from new) and found my first stone chip on the front bonnet. I'm kind of reluctant to start messing about with the paint pot I got already - and with my shakey hands I'd not be too confident on what I might do to my "luxury" car!

This is a bit worrying, so I'd certainly back superchargedmorph's idea of sending Lexus UK an e-mail about this.

Gareth

Hmm this scares me as my car is going to be delivered tomorrow and I'd feel f****d if I managed to get stone chips that quickly... I've been scouring the net and here are some links I've found:

www.armourfend.com (looks expensive, sounds great)

www.chipsaway.co.uk (well if you do get any are these the people to call?)

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/motor/bodywork/s...s/scratches.htm (I found this site quite useful if you're in the mood for a DIY touch-up.

http://www.autopaints.co.uk/tetrosyl.htm (Trtrosyl... looks like one of those 'as seen on tv' things, but I guess looks can be deceiving... anyone had any experiences?)

It certainly seems a common problem on the IS - to the person writing to Lexus about the matter: Perhaps we could suggest they subsidise the cost of getting Armourfend or similar?

[Edited on 27-3-2002 by GCHQAgent]

[Edited on 27-3-2002 by GCHQAgent]

i have the x-pel kit on mine which stops a lot of chips but it only covers the front 40 cm of the bonett so u will still get chips further up the hood.

but beware: if you order the kit from the US obvoiusly its for the is300,, the kit wont fit properly unless you do a slight mod.

An update. I called into my Lexus Aberdeen dealer today to let them see the stone chip on my bonnet (admittedly tiny - but you tend to notice these things on a 2 week old car!!). I mentioned about the forum on this site having this discussion going - which was causing me concerns that this may be an issue with the IS200s. They said they certainly weren't aware of the cars having a problem in this area (which I kind of expected ;¬).

Anyway, they got some paint and touched it up for me there and then (the guy used a toothpick to apply it by the way, which he said was best way to apply a very small blob to small chips like this).

Oh and they also claimed to have never heard of this site!!

Oh, and then I got home, and was looking at his fix - when I noticed I've got another chip! Aaargh!!

warning: don't have the windscreen replaced by lexus if the cracks get bigger

i've probably moaned about this before - in the first few months of owning the car i had 3 replacement windscreens 'cos they kept cracking (and in one case shattering) - i went to my dealer as i wanted it to be put in properly

after the final crack, i had autoglass do it - not as tidy an install but it's been fine since (touch wood)

and i've got 6 or 7 stone chips on the bonnet :mad:

Oh and they also claimed to have never heard of this site!!

They are talking bull! Did you talk to Alan or Derek the mechanic, because I have told them all about the site. If you talked to the Gray haired guy, then I understand as he knows nothing about anything!!:rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links