Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaking Boot/no Traffic Interrupt

Hi

I've had my Mk1 for about a year now (moved on from an imported Targa Supra which was a bit too impractical) and there are a couple of points I wondered if anyone has any experience of:-

1. Water is forming in the tyre well from both rain and condensation but I cannot find the source. I have been locked in the boot looking for leaks/sunlight with someone hosing the seals and find none. I have seen some trickles behind the rear light cluster panel.

2. My radio picks up fine but on either traffic interrupt setting it constantly loops, finding no traffic stations. When listening to the CD it never interrupts me. I have even been listening to traffic warnings which it doesn't recognise. It is a bog standard '95 UK car.

These are only minor niggles. It's a fine car.

Thanks

I had exactly same problem with my Lexus 400 Mark III ie water collecting in the tyre well (collecting !!! - it was full). I asked my Lexus garage Parts Department and they said it was common problem and I needed to buy new rubber seal right round boot - it was £75 but sure enough it solved the problem immediately because like you I had looked everywhere else for a solution. Seems the rubber seal distorts over time with the boot lid forcing it flat and then it lets the water in.

Regards SimonT2

Hi,

I had a MK-1 GS-300 with the same issue.

Replaced the rubber boot seal and problem solved for 3 years, then it needed replacement again. Careful not to crush the new rubber seal when loading the boot.

a work-round is to remove the rubber bung and drill a little hole in it.

Justin.

• 2 weeks later...

Radio Problems

Has anyone had any problems with radio reception? My car recently has lost the ability to tune into any stations. If i do a seek, it just loops and loops (even with DX). I can get a signal by tuning manually, but its a bit weak, and as for RDS, well it has give up. Im hoping its only an aerial problem, and not the tuner itself. Mine is a 94 GS300.

Leaking Boot

I too have the same woes with my boot - lots of water on the bootwell, though thankfully its coming in from the left hand side, and not anywhere near the CD changer, will have a look at getting a new seal.

Hi

I have removed one of the large rubber bungs from the rear (i.e. front) of the tyre well which has mitigated the problem. I think the leak is around the vertical elements at the boot mouth, probably where the seal has been flattened over time. I have been trying to reinvigorate it with some success and will update if I can solve it without replacing the seal.

I had another go with the radio today and it still loops and I also have no joy with RDS (unlike the Supra's aftermarket stereo). I never get any station titles either. Is there a way to reset the stereo (without i) taking anything apart or ii) losing anything other than presets etc.) as I have a suspicion that this may help.

Thanks

Nilpoints

PS. Mk 1 GS300 doesn't have a pollen filter does it? There is an "opening/flap" of some kind in the glove box but seems to aim at the airbag and is not easily removable.

Hi all :D

I had the same problem with me radio and not displaying stations etc, I posted some info an age ago. To cut a long story short, actually disconnecting it and letting it reset itself semed to resolve the problem and it hasnt returned. I actually took it out and unplugged it (removal method in the maintenance bit) easy to do, may work if you disconect the Battery though.

I have rejuvinated my seals both boot and doors with a MER product which is called I think vynl and plastic cleaner/restorer it does work

DLJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I didn't have my security code so I had to have a reset done. I spoke with many Lexus dealers around the country to price this and it ranged from 2 hours work to a freebie (Lexus Leicester). So it pays to look around. In the end mine needed a new chip but Lexus Leicester did that for a very good price. I was very impressed with them.

However, their rivals in a city to the north failed to even return my calls.

RDS now working fine.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Cheers

Nilpoints

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links