Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Volvo, Toyota Or Ford

The-Acre

I use an estate car for my work as a carpenter, and have had a Vectra for the past 8 years or so. It's been a great workhorse but is now facing retirement. A few months ago I made a post asking about the Mercedes E class, but have since been told by many that they suffer from expensive electrical problems. So because I need a big estate I'm stuck with either a Volvo V70, a Toyota Avensis or a Ford Mondeo.

Anyone had experience of them? I'm looking to spend 9-10K, and it must be an auto. I like the Volvo but can't help thinking it's starting to look a bit dated. The Toyota is also much rarer.

Any thoughts?

If you want reliability then the Toyota is a good choice, provided it doesn't have the 2.2 diesel engine that was also used in the IS220d. Not that exciting though.

Mondeo is a good car, and cheap to fix if something goes wrong.

If you want reliability then the Toyota is a good choice, provided it doesn't have the 2.2 diesel engine that was also used in the IS220d. Not that exciting though.

Mondeo is a good car, and cheap to fix if something goes wrong.

Thanks Colin. I didn't know the diesel engine was the same as the IS, good info!

Phil,

If you have not done so, then look at Honestjohn.co.uk and under "car by car review", you can see the pluses and minuses of each of your chosen cars

The conventional Torque Convertor auto seems significantly more reliable than the more modern electronic twin clutch autos in the Ford and the Volvo and he seems fond of recommending the CVT AUTO IN THE AVENSIS.I have a CVT box in my GS450h.

Look also on and http://www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk, both of these are respected contributors on MB forums and would be able to offer advice on the purchase of Mercs. Mine incidentally has done 200,000 miles with one electrical problem.

Good luck.

Regards

John

Phil,

If you have not done so, then look at Honestjohn.co.uk and under "car by car review", you can see the pluses and minuses of each of your chosen cars

The conventional Torque Convertor auto seems significantly more reliable than the more modern electronic twin clutch autos in the Ford and the Volvo and he seems fond of recommending the CVT AUTO IN THE AVENSIS.I have a CVT box in my GS450h.

Look also on and http://www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk, both of these are respected contributors on MB forums and would be able to offer advice on the purchase of Mercs. Mine incidentally has done 200,000 miles with one electrical problem.

Good luck.

Regards

John

Thanks John, I'll have a look. I looked at the Autocar review and the Toyota was rated very highly, both for safety and reliability. They are much harder to find though, and a bit like the Lexus, I like the Avensis because it's slightly more unusual to see one (an estate that is)

Would you consider a People Carrier? Mitsubishi Grandis? Toyota Avensis Verso or Previa? With the Toyotas you can take out the seats and effectively have a van!

Mercedes "R" Class? Plenty of room and all the rear (5) seats fold flat. Diesel with auto - but not very frugal.

Just a thought.

Looking like Japanese then at the moment. I did consider a people carrier as suggested, I've had a couple of Ford Galaxy's in the past and they were very practical.

I think I'll probably go for the Avensis when one comes up locally-ish, or at least give one a good going over to see if it'll be suitable.

Thanks for the suggestions.