Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My very first mod is underway, getting the steering wheel re-trimmed, with a slightly thicker grip, perforated sides and blue stitching to match the f-sport line. The process takes two weeks so will get some pictures of the end result.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Question?

is that tyre likely to pass an MOT with cracks in the sidewall like that?

date of tyre looks to me like Week 8 of 2014 so well within its 6 year life expectancy but has sustained serious side wall deterioration.

paul m.

• Like 1

That is a good point Paul, well spotted.

I would certainly get it checked out if my tyre looked like that.

According to this site:

"No matter how expensive your tyre is, the day you notice those damaging cracks on the sidewall, you should start contemplating about purchasing new tyres. Cracks on the sidewall occur because over time the oils and chemicals in the rubber compound, that so long kept the tyre intact, gradually evaporate or break down due to over exposure to UV rays of the sun. Also over time, the rubber loses its tightness and cracks begin to appear.

Cracks on the sidewall indicate that the tread is now drying out and giving way.

Driving with cracks on the sidewall could also result in the tread separating mid way or it might result in a possible blowout while on the move."

Yeah, I'd imagine any MOT tester worth their salt would spot that. It looks like a large section is affected, not just one or two cracks.

In fact. If you personally paid for that tyre and it is only about 3 years old, I would consider going back to whoever sold it and see if making a claim is possible, citing that it's a manufacturing defect.

On a happier note, your steering wheel looks fantastic! :cool:

Looking at the position in the sidewall of those cracks another Question? Has the tyre been used when majorly under inflated as this would put that area of the sidewall under most stress and may just have pushed a borderline failing  tyre over the edge!

paul m.

13 hours ago, Texas said:

Question?

is that tyre likely to pass an MOT with cracks in the sidewall like that?

date of tyre looks to me like Week 8 of 2014 so well within its 6 year life expectancy but has sustained serious side wall deterioration.

paul m.

I would replace it regardless if it pass mot or not. After all that is the only thing between us and road.. and it looks like it is going to blow any second.

They have been replaced, the brakes were done 1st.  The car had been Sorn for a while and that was the result.  I managed to get some Dunlops brand new for 72 for the fronts and 83 for the rears.  Didnt think that was too bad.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dean8788 said:

They have been replaced, the brakes were done 1st.  The car had been Sorn for a while and that was the result.  I managed to get some Dunlops brand new for 72 for the fronts and 83 for the rears.  Didnt think that was too bad.

It depends which Dunlops, but either way price seems to be quite good for 17 wheels.

It is actually amazing what keeping car stationary can do to it. That is why I am always concerned when I see those "low miles 20 years old examples". Sometimes higher mileage car is actually better. Makes me wonder - if that happened to the tires - what is the condition of other rubber?

They were Sport Maxx, I think off the top of my head.  They weren't cracked before I sorned and have been bracing the elements.  To be honest they were A Avons before and wouldn't buy them again, didn't feel anywhere near as good as the Yokohama set on before.

If they were Sport Maxx's, then that is a very good price.  Last time I bought some, I think it was roughly £90 for the fronts and £125 for the rears.

Care to share where you got them from? :smile:

There are few different types of Sportmaxx, but regardless the price seems to be very good. I hate when I ask shops to price match and they say - "yes we match it" and they match something like Sport SP001's (the cheapest Dunlops in existence) with Sportmaxx RT2's or something similar.