Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Alignment On V300

OzAristoV300

Three times now I have tried to have the wheel alignment done on the '99 Aristo V300 (at two different places) with interesting results. Each time the alignment machine says all is within specification for front and rear but when re-testing (due to abnormal rear tyre wear) a few months later the same machine shows the rear toe and camber are completely out of whack.

Has anyone attempted this procedure or had similar problems?

I am suspicious of the active rear steering. Either it is faulty or possibly needs to be disabled during the alignment process to stop it "correcting" the adjustments made.

cheers

i have the same problem with my 98 aristo. i am having it done next week at a place in northampton. i change my back tyres every 3-4 months. very expensive lifestyle( mrs not happy)

where did you get yours done ozaristo

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Australia but the places I went to (Bob Jane and Bridgestone Tyres) are both reputable places with high end aligners. A friend of mine who works for Toyota is attempting to get hold of a translation of the Japanese workshop manual for the alignment procedure. He said on other vehicles with this system you normally have to reset the steering wheel positioning sensor once you adjust the front alignment, which could also be causing the rear problem. Hopefully the manual will advise how to do this!

Spend a couple of hundred bucks and buy the TOM's ARS canceller and you will never have problem with your ARS ever again. Not only does it removes the strange buoyant driving feel with the ARS, but I bet you that you will be able to align your car quite easily after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Spend a couple of hundred bucks and buy the TOM's ARS canceller and you will never have problem with your ARS ever again.  Not only does it removes the strange buoyant driving feel with the ARS, but I bet you that you will be able to align your car quite easily after that.

This sounds like the ultimate solution. Do you have a web site, phone number or address to obtain the TOMS ARS canceller? I am in Australia but most places will freight to here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in the ARS canceller as well. I know there is a VSC OFF switch also.

My Aristo had a damaged rear-steer rack, had it replaced fine.

My mechanic uses the GS300 (UK) setup data for the car and it steers like a demon, no adverse tyre wear even after heavy track sessions.

The TOMS ARS Cancellor isn't electronic. It is a steel bar that replaces the rear steer rack and a jumper for the wiring harness plug to make it think the old rack is still there. Unfortunately the local distributor thinks a 100% mark up on the Japanese price is fair, making it a AUS$800 proposition. (He also wants AUS$140 for the low temp thermostat that apparently fixes the power loss problem in warm weather. JY7000 on the http://www.tomsracing.co.jp web site)

As for alignment specs, I can confirm from a contact at Toyota Australia that the correct toe setting for the rear of the V300 is 0mm, not -1mm as applies to the GS300. Given the +/- 2mm tolerance, this makes the difference a moot point.

The problem is, I don't know the correct procedure to either disable the rear steering computer while the manual adjustment is done, or reset the computer after the manual adjustment. If I can find this out, I can save myself $800.

• 1 month later...

I'd really be interested in anyone in the UK that can sort this out and the cost involved. My 98 Aristo is also eating rear tyres and shredding them on the inside edges on the wheels. It could well be that the rear steering rack is shot. The front tyres also wear heavily on the inside.

I live in Surrey but would travel a reasonable distance to get this sorted.

• 4 months later...