Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 460 Air Suspension Issue

Peter67

My 2007 LS 460 failed its NCT (MOT) today due to imbalance on rear suspension. The right rear shock had high load readings resulting in the fail. I did notice it quite firm at the year end recently on bad bumps as it sort of bounces.

Does anybody have any good info on these struts and how they work. Also any suggestions on a supplier for a replacement strut or airbag - new or second hand in the UK or Ireland? I see a few versions of these air struts on the web at varying prices. Anybody any experience with them?

As far as I am aware there is no one rebuilding these struts in the UK, there is a company in the USA Arnott who did recon the earlier LS400 air struts but unsure if they do the 460 ones.

You have 2 choices really either find a good secondhand replacement from a breaker or bite the bullet and buy a new OEM one ( just make sure you're sitting down when you make the call to Lexus!).

There have also been reported cases of the height sensors failing so check these before committing to a new strut.

Some members have converted from air to springs on the LS430 but not heard of the same on a 460 but you could be the 1st.

Having just looked at Toyodiy.com the new strut price is around 1300 euros but I also saw that the South African and Australian LS460s are fitted with conventional springs and dampers so it could be possible to convert to these from air.

Not specifically for the 460 but maybe worth a call to find out bearing in mind the whole kit would probably work out cheaper than 1 air strut.

http://www.strutmasters.com/products/2000-2006-lexus-ls430-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-td14f/

That Irish nct is a nightmare; along with the attitude of the 'public servants' over there. I feel for you OP.

In the three generations of my family's involvement with cars, there have only been two non-steel suspension system that have worked reliably, and been cheap to fix: the Citroën nitrogen*, and BMC's hydrolastic.

All the compressed air systems that we know of have been a pita, and, it seems, so are the ones we didn't know of.

With Peugeot about to dump Paul Mages' system for all time, perhaps the Toyota engineers will swallow their pride and use it under licence......is that pig flying?

A strut master kit is on my 430.

It probably cost more imported and fitted than Phil (the acre) just got for his well looked after 430. Crazy world.

*Even used on the Challenger tank iirc.

LEXUS main dealer advised this morning that the cost for a replacement strut is euro €1181 which includes VAT and fitting (thats probably £750 stg these days!!). On balance its perhaps not as bad as I feared especially as its a good few hours to fit and they can do the recall work on the fuel pipes. I might bite the bullet and get this done. Just put 4 x new tyres on it last week as well so August and September will be quiet months! I will check out the suggested strut replacement for the longer term.

BTW I was a bit tempted by www.aliexpress.com - the air suspension shop selling new replacement strut for US$472 inc delivery to me. Don't know if anybody has any experience of them although chinese replacement parts are often a bit short lived

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links