Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keeping Foot On Brake Whilst Stationary.

PaulWhitt20

What is the difference to the drive train when you put your foot on the brake when stationary?

I like to put the parking brake on when stationary for a while, so as not to dazzle drivers behind with the brake lights showing. I have noticed that when you have your foot on the brake the electric motor seems to switch off but if you don't keep your foot on the brake but keep the parking brake on then the electric motor seems to be trying to move the car forward. (It's not in Park) even though it does not move as the parking brake is on.

Does this damage the drive train in any way? Sometimes when the engine is running as well it sounds different and you can feel vibrations.

Should I just stop being nice to the car behind and keep my foot on the brake?

post-49408-144017245774_thumb.jpg

post-49408-144017358536_thumb.jpg

post-49408-144017360868_thumb.jpg

I read a review wich advised to hold the car with the foot brake and not put in park as this disables engine/drive battery management so is worse for fuel consumption as engine will keep running

I think I read the same article. I have tried holding it on the foot brake, holding it on the parking foot brake in neutral and holding it in park. One way blind the guy behind, another way infuriates him while i fumble around with the pedals like a church organ player whilst trying to engage gear. I generally opt for blinding the following driver these days. Sunvisors are useful for cutting down the glare.

Just to clarify. I don't put it in park. Just put the "handbrake" on and leave in drive. Like I have done in all automatics I have had, gives the left foot something to do...

You are wasting energy and heating up the batteries, inverter and electric motor. Whilst you are unlikely to burn anything out by doing this longterm you are reducing the efficiency of the hybrid system by raising temperatures which then means the system may have to back off earlier to keep overall temperatures in check.

With you foot on the brake the system knows you don't want to move forward and suspends all power to the motor. It doesn't monitor the parking brake in the same way and is therefore the electric motor is constantly applying a forward force.

Either put the transmission in Park, keep your foot on the brake in drive, or use Neutral and the parking brake (this isn't recommended if the hybrid system wants to recharge the batteries at that point in time).

Sorry adnewton thatis not how hill start assist works.

Leave car in drive, push brake pedal hard to floor and the hill start assist engages, keep foot on brake but when releasing brake you will get a couple of seconds of hold befor setting off

"With you foot on the brake the system knows you don't want to move forward and suspends all power to the motor. It doesn't monitor the parking brake in the same way and is therefore the electric motor is constantly applying a forward force."

It could do. There is a red light on the dash showing the parking brake is on.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused now. When you say foot brake, what are you talking about. The break pedal, to the immediate left of the accelerator? Or the other foot brake, operated by your left foot, to the far left, which in most cars is a hand brake? Can you clarify it please as the more I read this post the more confused I get.

Got this from the emanual from Lexus Portal

Hill-start assist control helps to

prevent the vehicle from rolling back-

wards when starting on an

incline or slippery slope.

To engage hill-start assist

control, further depress the

brake pedal when the vehicle

is stopped completely.

A buzzer will sound once to

indicate the system is acti-

vated. The slip indicator will

also start flashing.

2-4. Using other driving systems

When driving

CT200h_EE (OM76041E)

Hill-start assist control buzzer

When hill-start assist control is act

ivated, the buzzer will sound once.

In the following situations, hill-start assist control will
be canceled and

the buzzer will sound twice.

• No attempt is made
to drive the vehicle within approximately 2 sec-

onds of releasing the brake pedal.

• Push the P position
switch.

• The parking brake
is applied.

• The brake pedal is
depressed again.

• The brake pedal has
been depressed for more than approximately 3

minutes.

If the slip indicator comes on

It may indicate a malfunction in the

system. Contact any authorized Lexus

dealer or repairer, or another duly qualified and equipped
professional

"With you foot on the brake the system knows you don't want to move forward and suspends all power to the motor. It doesn't monitor the parking brake in the same way and is therefore the electric motor is constantly applying a forward force."

It could do. There is a red light on the dash showing the parking brake is on.

It could do but it doesn't. The hybrid system does not take into account the state of the parking brake.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links