Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is It Me Or Is The Is300h Getting More 'common'

She used to drive an RX8, I told her that you have to rev the engine hard and let redline and make it beep every now and then or you'll damage the engine.

The first time she did it she was overtaking a bus in 30 zone in 3rd gear, so doing about 80mph!

I do quite like the thought of having a 135i as a weekend toy... My friend just got the new M3, it is absolutely amazing. I was really shocked by the whole experience of noise and power.

RX8 is nothing in comparison - a 135i is difficult to control sometimes - the 235i is more stable.

135i when driven in Eco mode always seems to be artificially 'held back'

RX8 is nothing in comparison - a 135i is difficult to control sometimes - the 235i is more stable.

What do you mean by difficult to control...The point of a RWD 300bhp car is the fact you can get the tail out for a little wag by using your right foot. People don't buy these cars to make them feel safe. If you tried to use 100% of the power in my old E90 335i on a slightly damp/cambered road, you better be ready for it to try and throw you into the nearest ditch (and tried it did on many occasions), and that was in a straight line :)

It's the one thing I really miss about RWD, with my FWD Leaf all you get is understeer, followed by understeer, followed by more understeer, and than the TC kicks in kills all the power....and than I realise I'm about to run out of charge and have to crawl home at 30mph :)

As in - its difficult to keep in a straight line with your foot planted to the floor LOL. Its a ditch finder - hence why so many have crashed!

My '68 4 speed Vette has a very 'real' 570 engine bhp/606 ftlb tq. This in a rwd 1725 kg car with only an LSD for trying to keep it in a straight line. Its all perfectly usable (given due respect) however it's the unexpected things that will catch you out, not at lower speeds as you are usually 'ready' for more or less anything. Its often when accelerating hard at 70+mph speeds - i.e the slightest bit of unseen damp or dew on the road and the rear wheels will 'spin-up'. All good fun and perfectly controlable- when you are ready for it!

And this is the thing with late model performance cars - they all have so much in the way of 'granny' intervention controls, todays drivers will rarely find the 'real' limits of their cars. And then when it all goes 'pear shaped' they won't have a clue as to what needs to be done - and off they go into the shrubbery, another vehicle or worse!

She used to drive an RX8, I told her that you have to rev the engine hard and let redline and make it beep every now and then or you'll damage the engine.

The first time she did it she was overtaking a bus in 30 zone in 3rd gear, so doing about 80mph!

I do quite like the thought of having a 135i as a weekend toy... My friend just got the new M3, it is absolutely amazing. I was really shocked by the whole experience of noise and power.

135i when driven in Eco mode always seems to be artificially 'held back'

But it tones down the throttle response etc etc

As in - its difficult to keep in a straight line with your foot planted to the floor LOL. Its a ditch finder - hence why so many have crashed!

I believe that is one of the advantages of RWD EVs, the TC is so advanced that you can literally floor the throttle and you simply go forwards without much drama. Haven't experience it my self yet, I'll let you know how it feels in a weeks time :)

Its often when accelerating hard at 70+mph speeds - i.e the slightest bit of unseen damp or dew on the road and the rear wheels will 'spin-up'.

I hope your not suggesting that you accelerate hard at 70mph on public when the legal speed limit is 70mph ;)

I believe that is one of the advantages of RWD EVs, the TC is so advanced that you can literally floor the throttle and you simply go forwards without much drama. Haven't experience it my self yet, I'll let you know how it feels in a weeks time :)

Its often when accelerating hard at 70+mph speeds - i.e the slightest bit of unseen damp or dew on the road and the rear wheels will 'spin-up'.

I hope your not suggesting that you accelerate hard at 70mph on public when the legal speed limit is 70mph ;)

Certainly not - that would be most irresponsible - only ever conducted on Gernam Autobahn's or private roads! :whistling:

• 1 month later...

On topic - not particularly.

My commute varies but 10-20 miles each way is typical; I would expect to see at least one and probably 2-3, which is a slight increase of course simply because the car has been out longer, but not evidence of any startling sales numbers.

If you are looking for a weekend car that will give a real drivers experience then the Toyota GT86 is great. With TC off and on standard tyres it gives 'tail out' action at low speed (30 mph) and is a hoot!!