Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possibly not a topic to place here, anyway here goes. Sadly due to high taxation etc I have to sell my lovely LS430. I would like to replace it with something with sat nav and other toys. Due to crashing depreciation, the Vauxall Omega top spec models seem very cheap second hand. May even try staying with Lexus in the form of a GS300 if I can find a good one at a reasonable price, the I.S is too small for my kids. Anyone have any recommendations, anything considered apart from maybe french "fall to bits" types. Hope this is temporary, I will want another LS at some point.

Hondas arnt bad.

They do a large saloon with leather and the toys, which should be reasonable second hand, but I think they are quite rare...

Apart from that, then i guess it will be a GS.. the german car companies arnt forthcoming with the toys, and any that have them have a premium attached...

If you are dropping down a size then I guess GS, 5-series, E class, Jag S-type and yes the Omega is great value once most of it's purchase cost has been wiped out.

What sort of budget do you have?

How about a MKIV LS400?

I had thought about a LS400, already had 2 before. Problem is that tax is based on original purchase price 50K!. Need something with lower original price, rules out the german stuff I think. My wife has a Honda, reliable but very noisy/poor ride, I guess later ones are better.

You could opt for a Jaguar XJ8 3.2 V8 model. They are cheaper at new than German equivalents. Plus, you get the magic carpet ride and a cosy interior! Much improved reliability in last few years too.

if you're out of the company car circuit, then the inland rev will allow tax free payments to you of 40p/p/mile for the first 10,000 miles, then 25p/p/mile thereafter, but you have to pay all costs of the car, incl VAT on fuel and repairs. if you pay the extra costs of running the car as a dividend, then at least there's no NHI on it, yet!

I'll never buy a Vauxhall ever again.

I've had two Vauxhalls.

The first was a Sports Hatch (basically an Opel Manta). The lights were always blowing. The head gasket blew and finally, the water pump went. Strangely, the pump seemed to have some sort of fail-safe device which involved simply blowing and leaking out onto the floor.

The second was a Carlton, the lights were always blowing, the trim fell off the side sills, the electric window motors packed up, the driver circuit for them packed up twice, the fuel pump relay had a known fault whereby it would overheat and I'd be stuck on the hard shoulder for a few hours until it cooled down (I didn't know why at the time otherwise I would have taken it out and cooled it down). Finally the rear diff went. Oh! and the fuel pipe from the fuel pump leaked and the suspension was dangerous.

I had a Toyota before my Lexus. Nothing ever went wrong with it.

I saw Fifth Gear where they did an article on Classic Cars. Apparently, there's no tax at all for cars registered before (I think) 1970.

I'll never buy a Vauxhall ever again.

I've had two Vauxhalls.

The first was a Sports Hatch (basically an Opel Manta). The lights were always blowing. The head gasket blew and finally, the water pump went. Strangely, the pump seemed to have some sort of fail-safe device which involved simply blowing and leaking out onto the floor.

The second was a Carlton, the lights were always blowing, the trim fell off the side sills, the electric window motors packed up, the driver circuit for them packed up twice, the fuel pump relay had a known fault whereby it would overheat and I'd be stuck on the hard shoulder for a few hours until it cooled down (I didn't know why at the time otherwise I would have taken it out and cooled it down). Finally the rear diff went. Oh! and the fuel pipe from the fuel pump leaked and the suspension was dangerous.

I had a Toyota before my Lexus. Nothing ever went wrong with it.

I saw Fifth Gear where they did an article on Classic Cars. Apparently, there's no tax at all for cars registered before (I think) 1970.

That's interesting Flotsam. Back in the old days we were one of only 2 firms in the UK doing a lot of Opel Manta tuning. They were highly regarded at the time and were more reliable than the competion (mainly Ford).

We also did a fair amount of Carton work (3.6 litre engine conversions etc) and again had very few problems with them.

We haven't done any Vauxhall work for a long time so I don't know how thery fare against the competition, but nevertheless I think it is fair to say that generally Toyotas are one of the best cars you can buy in any class.

BTW, water pumps are designed to leak from a small hole underneath, prior to failure.

This is getting even more confusing. I have looked into all ways of keeping the vehicle, but sadly it must go. I am going to try staying with Lexus, GS300?. Already on my third, with no bother. Makes sense to try and stick with the same marque. Anyway will not have anything to chat about with you good people if I change:)

if you're out of the company car circuit, then the inland rev will allow tax free payments to you of 40p/p/mile for the first 10,000 miles, then 25p/p/mile thereafter, but you have to pay all costs of the car, incl VAT on fuel and repairs. if you pay the extra costs of running the car as a dividend, then at least there's no NHI on it, yet!

This is what I do.

As I have no fixed place of work I can claim 40p a mile from the IR on my personal tax allowance.

Got 3k in 3 years ..........helps with my Tdi bills :whistling:

• 2 years later...
7 SERIES

Have you seen the new 7 series?.. its awful! and has a really noitcable touch of cheapness about the build quality!

I know someone who had one, no legroom in the back, strange looking drawers in the front, low roof, so tall people beware.

The sat nav is a computerised voice, on the body it looks like they have stuck bits of plastic onto th eboot with glue..

The old 7 series is nice, but the new one... no thanks!

If you don't mind LHD, what about a '90s Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car? All share the same platform, and parts and expertise are plentiful.

Hired a '95 Crown Vic in the States and it never missed a beat in 1500 miles. Very smooth and quiet. Driving my LS400 reminds me of it.

Not sure about the BMWs not having the toys.

My 535i has everything you'd get in a mk3 LS400 but its P11D value is 38k list price. not the £50k of your LS. Its a great drive and having done a 760 mile weekend trip in it I can state it will return 31.3 MPG driven sensibly on motorways, A roads and around town. split 70% 18% 12%. I think that is pretty good and spec wise the steptronic box is perfect for the V8. if you get one with a TV sat Nav set you are laughing!

Shaft

Camry? I've got a V6 one and there are a lot of switchgear and some fittings are the same as in my dad's LS400, same engine as in the old shape RX300, or you could get a 2.4 which would be even cheaper, very cheap used to, plus has all the spec you've requested.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links