Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Michelin's New Cross Climate And The Forthcoming Nokian Weatherpro

Does anyone know if Michelin's new Cross Climate and the forthcoming Nokian Weatherproof tyres are available in the standard RX size as yet?

They get good write ups...by Honest John.

Cannot answer for Nokian but when researching tyres in the last few months I e-mailed Michelin regarding the Cross Climate for my RX 400, (18" wheels). They replied that whilst they intended to expand the range there were no current plans to produce it in the size I required. I finally settled on a set of 4 Hankook Dynapro with which I am very pleased. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi I can confirms that 235/55/19 crossclimate tyres are available for the Lexus.

i had a full set fitt d three weeks ago in Doncaster. They were ordered by Kwikfit on Monday and fitted Thursday.

total price was £650 for all four.

They are very quiet compared to normal Michelin sport3 

They drive ok no difference seein in wet or dry will wait until winter comes to see how they go. I have four michelins with 5/6mm for sale cheap

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

JUST ... managed to source 4 Nokian Weatherproofs )(All Season ), to replace my wife's old, RX350 cracked winter tyres with not much thread.

Lexus fitted them, I sourced them.

They have a gorgeous tread pattern that looks like it would get through anything.

The reviews are good.

And the are quiet and comfy when driving.

:xmas:

4 hours ago, PCM said:

JUST ... managed to source 4 Nokian Weatherproofs )(All Season ), to replace my wife's old, RX350 cracked winter tyres with not much thread.

Lexus fitted them, I sourced them.

They have a gorgeous tread pattern that looks like it would get through anything.

The reviews are good.

And the are quiet and comfy when driving.

:xmas:

+ 1. Have 4 x Nokian Weatherproof 235/55 R18 104 V since May, excellent in the wet (or dry). Lovely thread pattern & hard wearingh.

• Like 1

I've had Cross Climates on my RX450h since January this year.  Probably done about 10,000 on them and so far they are excellent.  I'm not one to explore the limits of grip but they never feel like they will lose grip and coped well in the recent icy weather.  See my original review here: 

Sorry first time I've tried a hyperlink so got additional text from my post but don't know how!  Price is probably lower now as I was an early adopter.

• Like 1

My aging 2007 RX is coming up for a renewal.  The latest model RX450h is looking like sensible money for a two year old now which we would keep for 5 to 8 years so worth investing in it to make it as we need it to use it all year round for all trips.  However, the major blocker is the tyre choice.  Both the 18s (235/65R18) and the 20s (235/55R20) are odd ball sizes.  I have spoken to both Nokian and Michelin (as they have the big brand all season tyres of choice) and neither have any plans to bring them out in those sizes.  I'm now looking at a different set of rims with more normal sized tyres on them so I can get either the Nokians or Michelin's ideally without them being special order and it looks doable on paper with a 18" or 19" inch rim.  Personally, I'd be going 18" as I've don't see the appeal of stupidly big.  There is the obvious stuff that would need to fit such as the holes, the offset and the size of the caliper versus the rim which I assume would be ok with 18" as the lowest spec model has 18" inch wheels as OEM (assuming no difference in braking and steering gear between the base and the other specs) but what about the tyre widths and speedo/odometer settings.  I assume the weight would be ok with this Nokian WP tyre  235/60R18 107 V XL 975kg but the speedo, can it be easily adjusted? I can't help but think I am a bit bonkers looking at all of this prior to even test driving but I like to plan ahead.  I'm aware it is quite common to go narrower on winter tyres but for the mileage we typically do a year two sets would be overkill.  Yup, the originals wheels and tyre would go on eBay most likely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James King said:

My aging 2007 RX is coming up for a renewal.  The latest model RX450h is looking like sensible money for a two year old now which we would keep for 5 to 8 years so worth investing in it to make it as we need it to use it all year round for all trips.  However, the major blocker is the tyre choice.  Both the 18s (235/65R18) and the 20s (235/55R20) are odd ball sizes.  I have spoken to both Nokian and Michelin (as they have the big brand all season tyres of choice) and neither have any plans to bring them out in those sizes.  I'm now looking at a different set of rims with more normal sized tyres on them so I can get either the Nokians or Michelin's ideally without them being special order and it looks doable on paper with a 18" or 19" inch rim.  Personally, I'd be going 18" as I've don't see the appeal of stupidly big.  There is the obvious stuff that would need to fit such as the holes, the offset and the size of the caliper versus the rim which I assume would be ok with 18" as the lowest spec model has 18" inch wheels as OEM (assuming no difference in braking and steering gear between the base and the other specs) but what about the tyre widths and speedo/odometer settings.  I assume the weight would be ok with this Nokian WP tyre  235/60R18 107 V XL 975kg but the speedo, can it be easily adjusted? I can't help but think I am a bit bonkers looking at all of this prior to even test driving but I like to plan ahead.  I'm aware it is quite common to go narrower on winter tyres but for the mileage we typically do a year two sets would be overkill.  Yup, the originals wheels and tyre would go on ebay most likely.

You can't adjust the speedo and it'll be out  

I wouldn't go for 18 inch wheels tbh. Even the 20" wheels look a bit small on some angles. The car is massive and the wheel arches very big. 

I had them on a 16 inch rim a few years ago, the gen 1s, they were great.  They are available if I go 235/60R18.  And this is the problem, off piste because Lexus choose poorly on the tyre size, they maybe fine in the US but not in the UK/most of Europe.

On 22/12/2017 at 8:11 PM, Glover said:

I've had Cross Climates on my RX450h since January this year.  Probably done about 10,000 on them and so far they are excellent.  I'm not one to explore the limits of grip but they never feel like they will lose grip and coped well in the recent icy weather.  See my original review here: 

Sorry first time I've tried a hyperlink so got additional text from my post but don't know how!  Price is probably lower now as I was an early adopter.

No, the price hasn't gone down!  I had 4 fitted in mid-November by Extragrip in Nottingham (at your recommendation) and they were £192 per corner (although I did get £100 cashback from Michelin through an offer).

I am impressed with the Cross Climates in the wet and greasy which is normal at this time of year.   

On 30/12/2017 at 4:52 PM, Ian M said:

No, the price hasn't gone down!  I had 4 fitted in mid-November by Extragrip in Nottingham (at your recommendation) and they were £192 per corner (although I did get £100 cashback from Michelin through an offer).

I am impressed with the Cross Climates, both  in the couple of snowy days we've had but more generally in the wet and greasy which is normal at this time of year.   

Ian. What did you do to get the cash back offer from Michelin?

On 1/1/2018 at 3:12 PM, JeffL said:

Ian. What did you do to get the cash back offer from Michelin?

There was a promotion on, which required a claim to be made via the Michelin web site, with a scanned copy of the invoice.  All very straightforward.  But I can't find the offer now, so I guess it was time limited.

The cash back came as a pre-loaded VISA card, so I did 2 £50 fuel stops which seemed the simplest way of spending exactly £100.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am quite keen to go and see how the  Cross Climates are in the snow..... but there's not that much yet and a  G&T before Sunday lunch seems like a much more tempting alternative.

20180121_121745.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have an opinion on how much tread is 'good' for the Winter.

I've had my Michelin Cross Climates for 3 years with average mileage...

Not sure weather ( pun intended - groan ) to keep or update?

:newyear:

It's probably more about managing expectations. So long as they're not approaching the minimum I'd guess you'll stay out of trouble so long as you're careful. Which you'd probably do with all seasons anyway. When I first got my WR3 SUVs I went out into Derbyshire and tried to get the car stuck, I didn't try anything daft like that the following year. But I knew I'd be OK getting about round Sheffield if it did come down.

• Like 1