Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

All Season Tyres

Yamavira

We are all very much aware that come the inclement weather of "winter" the IS250 auto is hopeless !!.

Have decided to try some All Weather Tyres hoping to at least keep moving throughout the so called winter months. Currently looking at the Michelin Cross Climate tyre. Pirelli Cinturato All Season

These tyres come in 225 /17 but not in 245 /17. Loading is 94 whereas the 245 loading is 95.

Has anyone run their IS250 petrol auto on 225s all round ????.

If yes what differences were noted in the car's handling.

Note. I have passed the "boy racer" years so not too concerned on ultimate grip on the edge in a corner.

Thanks

Yamavira

I'm just about to buy a set of winters for my IS250, and I'm going down the route of 225s all round - the wheels are the same size, so that's a non-issue. Lexus no doubt specified 245 rears for a perfectly good reason, perhaps to 'tame' the rear a little, but in the real world, in real driving conditions, I seriously doubt anyone would be able to tell whether they'd got 225s or 245s fitted without looking at the sidewalls. Bear in mind that the '225' and '245' measurements are nominal - ie if you get your ruler out, you may well find that the two different sizes are much closer together than the theoretical 20mm would indicate. 'Ultimate grip' will be dictated more by the compound of a tyre than by a very slight difference in tyre width.

Some will no doubt say you should stick to the original spec, and no doubt some will start shouting about your insurance being invalidated, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt and do what I'm happy with!

Pete

Mine too! I think I posted elsewhere on here about a neighbour who has a BMW 3-series, similar power output to the IS250 and, of course, RWD. He uses winters every year - in the snow we've had, inlcuding the particularly large amount in 2010, his car sailed up the hill outside our houses without a problem.

Pete

Hi still no reply from anyone having actual experience of running on 225s all round.

Have been in touch with Michelin re their "Cross Climate" tyre. THEY say it is a summer tyre with "winter capability" compatible with any summer OR winter tyre. Of course it is not man. in 245 which would simplify everything.

Yamavira.

Hi still no reply from anyone having actual experience of running on 225s all round.

Have been in touch with Michelin re their "Cross Climate" tyre. THEY say it is a summer tyre with "winter capability" compatible with any summer OR winter tyre. Of course it is not man. in 245 which would simplify everything.

Yamavira.

I bet that's probably because no one (on here) is doing it.....! Does it worry you? If so, Goodyear do the Eagle LS2 which is rated M+S, and Maxxis do the AP2, similarly rated, both in 245. The Maxxis one is much cheaper, as expected - don't let the name put you off, btw, they get some good, real-world reviews.

Pete

Pete

As i understand a tyre is summer or winter. What does winter capability mean good down in the minuses, what about snow.

Winter tyres are softer tread, and no good above 9 degrees or so. They move around a bit to much to say the least. Under 7 Degrees they are in another league. The grip they give is unbelievable and so quiet as well. I can only speak of my experience with a front wheel drive car.

I bought the snows for these as soon as i was able. Guy at work with a 320 beemer runs winter tyres, and says the car is driveable.

AS pete says above named tyres means nothing , what may work on one make of car may be crap on ours. The best summer tyre would have arguements all day long. In winter we are not doing stupid speeds. I run junyu Winters every body hates them, bet they never tryied them. They all have same tread pattern on winters for a reason. They were not that much cheaper than named brands. And i certainly was not paying silly money, for something thats on the car for about 4 months. When there is no need to.

Yamavira.

OK Yamavira, just for you......

I've recently picked up a full set of 17" alloys for my IS250 to use as 'winters' to save keep swapping tyres over. The front pair came with decent 225 Michelins, so I've been running around for the past few days with them on fitted the rear - ie 225s all round! I've driven in the dry, and in the wet. I've driven on various roads....fast A roads, motorways, back roads, the lot. I've driven at 'everyday' speeds, and I've had the odd 'play', where road conditions have dictated that it was safe to do so!

I can report that I felt no difference whatsoever in how the car handled....it went round corners in the same way, it felt the same, it braked the same as it did on 245 rears.....in the wet and in the dry. I have no doubt that a professional driver, on a track, going hell for leather, could pick up nuances in the way one felt over the other. But on the road in everyday driving? Nope. :)

(I should add that I used to drive, and ride, very fast every now and then for a living! I used to teach it too. :winky: )

Pete

Hi Guys

Thank you all for the constructive input. Much appreciated.

Solved the problem (for me at least). Bought an SUV !!. Not an NX I might add. :excl:

Very sad to part with the IS250. A super car. Never missed a beat & that V6 can make it move.

Wonder if the new 2L turbo charged petrol engine will be a match.

Take Care

Yamavira.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links