Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brand New Nx....one Reverse Light...are You Frickin' Kidding Me?&#

Just picked up a replacement for my RX400h. A brand new NX300h.

I noticed when I got home that only one reverse light was working. Called dealer. They said it was... a feature.

ARE YOU FRICKIN' kidding me Lexus!!!! :oops: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I hate this to be my first post but why is Lexus going backwards??? My RX400h had two reverse lights and (I think) two fog lights. This seems to have only one of each. When I see a car with only one reverse light I always think its broken. I always thought it was a legal requirement too...like having two brake lights.

Cars have had two reverse lights since the 1960's.. Why oh why the retrograde step? I just don't get it?

Feeling let down and angry...sob...

• Confused 1

Ill be honest, I can't see you're point?

Reversing lights are to show people behind you that you are reversing. One light does the same job as two, therefore 2 is absolutely unneeded. Having just one reversing light isn't a legal requirement, its a legal requirement to have 1 rear fog and 1 reversing light

Besides, Lexus aren't going "backwards". You bought an NX, not an RX, its supposed to be a lower end vehicle.

Reversing lights are to show people behind you that you are reversing. One light does the same job as two, therefore 2 is absolutely unneeded. Having just one reversing light isn't a legal requirement, its a legal requirement to have 1 rear fog and 1 reversing light

Besides, Lexus aren't going "backwards". You bought an NX, not an RX, its supposed to be a lower end vehicle.

There's no requirement to have a reversing light fitted - they fall into the 'optional lamp' list. Neither is it an offence, if you have one or more fitted, for them to be inoperative.

I always thought they were to light any unlit space to the rear, to the benefit of the driver going backwards! Generally, the fact that you're moving backwards lets people behind you know you're reversing! :D

Pete

There's no requirement to have a reversing light fitted - they fall into the 'optional lamp' list. Neither is it an offence, if you have one or more fitted, for them to be inoperative.

I always thought they were to light any unlit space to the rear, to the benefit of the driver going backwards! Generally, the fact that you're moving backwards lets people behind you know you're reversing! :D

Pete

That's true. I should have clarified that it is a legal requirement in some European countries

I agree, on my IS, I was all ready to run a wire from the one reversing light to what I thought was the matching, but blank, reversing light lens on the other side. That is until it was pointed out this was the (red) LED rear foglight......................

My grouse is that Lexus use white-when-off, but red-when-on LEDs in the rear fog, yet amber bulbs in the indicators back and front, when chrome filament bulbs lighting up as amber are available, as I'm sure are LEDs. I just don't like the "fried egg" look of amber bulbs in white/clear lenses, but changing the indicator bulbs looks like a full day's job.

Sorry for the mini hi-jack

I get the adequate lighting and non-legal requirement points etc etc.

It just looks unsightly. I don't exavely have OCD about it but I think most people would assume I have a broken or faulty light. I did!

I can't imagine it saves much weight either.

Pointless and daft if you ask me.

• 4 years later...

It seems to be the latest trend amongst car manufacturers to only have 1 reversing light and one fog light, personally I prefer 2 of each but those days seems to be over🤬

• Like 1

I can't remember ever owning a car with two fog lights. My 1981 Mini HL had one fitted under the bumper on the right side, and a second on the left was an option...but since then, only one fitted on every car and there have been a few!

Reversing lights...hmmm...I think my 1991 Rover Metro had two, as did my 1993 Daihatsu Charade and my 1996 Hyundai Accent. After that, I'm pretty sure the rest just had one. Progress huh? But, does it really matter...not to me.

My 1989 Volvo 240 GLT had 2 reversing lights and 2 fog lights.

When I bought my 1996 Volvo 940 that has 2 reversing lights but only 1 rear right fog light. It looks balanced with matching lights.

I have since added the 2nd with new lights.

My 2015 Auris only has one of each.

James.

I'm sure there is a bit of cost cutting here but mainly to help produce a clean rear end that isn't all light cluster and that has enough space to conform to all country regulations without different body panels/cluster size & shape.

• Like 1

My 1990 Mercedes 190e only had one rear foglamp but the wiring and bulb holder was present on the nearside so I just had to fit a bulb. 

My 1997 Audi A4 Quattro Avant had the wiring and bulb holder but I had to cut some plastic to install the bulb. That was a £38000 car back then so things haven't changed 

I'm with Easy Tiger. Personally speaking cars with only 1 each of rear fog and reverse lights look stupid. I won't have a car with 1 of each. To me its a safety thing. What if the bulb goes without you knowing? You're Stuffed. At least with 2 and one blows you still have 1 and you'll know Straight away one has blown. Well I've known on the past anyway.

34 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm with Easy Tiger. Personally speaking cars with only 1 each of rear fog and reverse lights look stupid. I won't have a car with 1 of each.

I guess you won't have a newer Lexus ever again then? Haven't you owned an IS300h before, I assume you survived the ordeal relatively unscathed?

• Like 1

I have owned some 20 cars so far and i would have no clue whatsoever of the number of reverse or fog lights.

I do remember the power ( or lack of), The way the brakes worked, or not. The steeringfeel ,or lack of. The color, leather or not and sometimes even the music i played or the person that was in the car with me at that time of my life. 

But the number of reverse lights?

• Like 2

I recall slowly reversing into a BMW dealership garage area in my new 2015 IS....(dropping daughter to collect her Mini) and these places are always rammed.

Several spanners taking a break took great pleasure in pointing out I only had one reversing light...tee hee new lexus with a blown bulb...no lads, it only has one reversing light.

I have been under the impression that it was the lower models of a marque's range that just had one reversing and one fog light.  I can't remember having less than two of each in the last 25 years and not all of them were the top models.  There was a thread sometime ago when somebody complained that even with two reversing lights he could not see to back up in certain circumstances and I believe fitted more powerful LEDs or some other modification.  Of course back up lights are not intended to serve as rearward  driving lights but are to warn other drivers of the maneuver.

• Like 1

Car manufacturers have moved away from 2 fog lights and 2 reversing lights for ages now,its now the norm to find cars with one of each,although there are still a few with both 😀 

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2020 at 11:38 PM, Barry14UK said:.  Of course back up lights are not intended to serve as rearward  driving lights but are to warn other drivers of the maneuver.

I’ve just come across this old thread, but I thought I’d make the point that although that may have been the intention, when you live in the country with no street lighting, a curved, hedge-lined drive and other cars to negotiate, a bit of extra illumination comes in handy.

The problem with the one light is that it’s on the nearside.  Often I’ve had to put the right indicator on to get a bit more light, even using the reversing camera.

Recently I changed the standard bulb for an LED equivalent and that has produced a significant and worthwhile improvement.

• 1 year later...

Ok.  I didn’t believe my husband when he said it was a feature to have only one reverse and one fog light at the back.  What a load of rubbish and not to mention dangerous.  Get rid of some of the other useless features that are hardly ever used and add another reverse light.  This is our third lexus and probably our last.  And while I am whingeing…..whats with that ugly black plastic strip above the rear passenger windows on the RX?  It cheapens the look so much!  😤

• Haha 1