Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brand New Nx....one Reverse Light...are You Frickin' Kidding Me?&#

The new NX's ive seen this week all had 2 fog lamps in the bumper & 2 reverse lamps in the clusters. UK spec hybrid & phv, dont get the non hybrid NX in the uk so dont know. uk spec Landcruisers have 2 fogs for sure. I wouldnt worry about something I never see, I can count on 1 hand the amount of times ive ever needed to turn on the rear fog lamps (ie - when theres actually hardly any visibility, not just cause theres a little mist in the air like a lot of people seem to do) in 23 years of driving. No idea if my car has 2 reversing lights or not, just know that it lights up the area behind the car just fine.

• Like 2

Hi Kathy and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. 

Sorry I had to laugh at your post. Good of you to admit you were whinging. 

The plastic trim above the window is probably a wind deflector. Necessary on some cars when the windows are open slightly. 

Yes I was an advocate of two reversing and two rear fog lights. I do still stand for two rear fog lights however. The fog on the M62 between jncs 22 and 24 demands two rear fog lights. It bothers me seeing cars with only one fog light and most of them are so bright that they dazzle!!!

Two medium powered rear fog lights are much more safely visible and without being dazzling. 

I'm.a professional driver and do most of my driving at night so I know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Two medium powered rear fog lights are much more safely visible and without being dazzling. 

Can’t argue with facts like that!

Frankly, a single fog light is potentially dangerous.  Two confirms that the shadowy vehicle in front is probably a car; one will suggest to some drivers that it’s a motorcycle!

If there was one area in which my IS250 disappointed it was the lighting.  As I mentioned earlier, the reversing light was so poor that I replaced the bulb with a brighter LED version - but it should have been on the offside anyway! 

• Like 1

Yes Len I agree that only one rear fog light can be misconstrued as a motorbike. 

Unfortunately I see too many vehicles on the road with an offside rear light out in the dark.

Worst case was only yesterday when I was confused as to what was in front of me. A van with no lights on and a low vehicle behind it with only a nearside light on. I got to within a few feet of it before it was actually a van on a trailer being towed by a van. The reflectors on the van being towed were not apparent. 

Oh the joys of night driving. Not!

• Like 1

If youre using the fog lamp as intended in super low visibility that makes everyone drive at a crawl, it doesnt really matter if the driver behind thinks youre a motorbike just that they see something ahead. It really shouldnt be used if you can see the regular tail lights of other cars ahead, for example if its not thick fog  

3 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

If youre using the fog lamp as intended in super low visibility that makes everyone drive at a crawl, it doesnt really matter if the driver behind thinks youre a motorbike just that they see something ahead. It really shouldnt be used if you can see the regular tail lights of other cars ahead, for example if its not thick fog  

I think that’s possibly a counsel of perfection, Alex.

Rules 226 and 236 of the Highway Code require that front and rear fog lights are only used if visibility is less than 100 metres.  One problem is that drivers vary in their perception of both ‘visibility’ and ‘100 metres’ - especially in adverse weather conditions.

As for seeing the regular tail lights, I think I must have seen almost every combination of dim/missing, rear/brake lights - and it’s astonishing how often it’s the offside that’s the problem.

On the occasions when I’ve been overtaken in heavy fog, rain or snow, I often wonder what that driver can see that I can’t.  And drivers do manage to rear end the car in front even in perfect conditions!

So you’re quite right that it shouldn’t matter if the driver behind thinks it’s a motorbike that they’re approaching at a crawl - unless they see such a low speed as a chance to overtake.  That’s when the one fog light seems a false economy.

• Like 4

Did you actually check or are you just assuming 🤔, they might have looked like they had 2 but in actual fact on closer inspection only have one,this has been the norm for a while now and goes back to the late 90's and early 2000`s lol 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links