Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Selecting Neutral With An Auto?

Fishboy

It's probably om here somewhere but I can't find it?

Should I be selecting neutral on my is250 when waiting in traffic? I heard conflicting advice on it causes more wear in neutral and also It causes lless? I just want to do what's best for the car I'm not worried about an extra 0.5mpg, after all it's an IS250 not a Passat diesel.

Opinions vary, personally if I'm stopped for a short time e.g. at traffic lights I tend to leave it in drive then you're ready to pull off on green.

If you were stuck in a long jam with nothing moving then I would select park.

Which ever way you chose to drive the transmissions will be happy.

Strangely enough there is no mention of the use of the neutral position in my LS400 handbook.

Surely when it is in gear there is more wear and tear within the components ! Or maybe I am wrong !. I personally left my old Toyota Camry which was a lexus ES in essence in neutral every time I stopped at traffic. That did nothing to the transmission, even at 254,000 miles when I sold the car....Totally agree with Steve......If stopped for long periods then select neutral/park which seems to be the logical thing to do....

I would only select Park when I am parking the vehicle. If selecting Park all the time when in a line of traffic that is moving slowly, you are also activating reverse selection as you pass through the gate, albeit briefly. That is a concern to me.

In cars with torque converter there is no problem in keeping in N , while if you have a hybrid Lexus N has to be avoided all the time you can, as in that setting there is no recharge of hybrid batteries.

• Like 1

If you keep in D there is the possibility that the brake pads and disc being hot may cause warping of the disc. I tend to use P but if that gives you problems Steveledzep then you can always use N and apply the parking brake in the same way that you would in a car with manual transmission.

• Like 2

In an Automatic NON HYBRID - at the traffic light, yes it is better to put it in Neutral. This actually helps to reduce brake wear as well and reduces component wear. Dont put on the parking brake though.

• Like 1

In an Automatic NON HYBRID - at the traffic light, yes it is better to put it in Neutral. This actually helps to reduce brake wear as well and reduces component wear. Dont put on the parking brake though.

I can't see why you would advise not using parking brake in N which means you are suggesting using footbrake rather than parking brake? I can't understand why you would advocate this policy.

Thinking about it if you do select neutral while waiting you should either keep the brakes on or put the parking brake on because if some numpty runs into the back of you they will push you out into the oncoming traffic, don't fancy that.

• Like 1

It isn't just that, not applying brakes when in N assumes that the car is on level ground.............how often will that not be the case though. It just seems good practice to put into P or if in N to apply parking brake.

• Like 1

I can't see why you would advise not using parking brake in N which means you are suggesting using footbrake rather than parking brake? I can't understand why you would advocate this policy.

Parking brake is linked to the Parking Prawl. The parking prawl is usually quite weak and not designed for on and off situations - its designed to hold the car for a long period of time, not on and off, on and off at traffic lights.

The trick to keeping your parking brake free from rust etc etc is to use it more often, but not excessively so.

if you were in gridlock traffic, then you would probably shift to P and then put the parking brake on but not at red lights.

The parking brake is not linked to the parking prawl at all. The parking brake should actually be applied before engaging P as it prevents excessive wear.

I said that I found it strange that you advocated not using the parking brake when engaging N so how are you going to prevent the car moving unless you keep your foot on the footbrake which then risks, over time, warping of discs?

Always apply parking brake before shifting to P though.

One of the problems often encountered with cars with auto boxes is that if the parking brake is not used regularly the mechanism can seize up.

I think in the is250 manual it does mention using N for long periods of stop but dont quote me on that!

I use N when i know its a longer wait than usual, short waits at the lights i keep my foot on the brakes.

I'd avoid P at the lights for 2 reasons, i hate it when i see the reverse light if i'm behind and more importantly, P uses a pin on the gearbox to stop the car rolling, if you get hit from the rear, it can be bad and cause all sorts of problem. No issues if it was in N or D.

So N at the lights if wait is long otherwise foot on brakes.

As said above with a Hybrid using Neutral is a big no no, if for no other reason than if I leave my car in N then after a very short time the panel lights up with red flashing warnings, supported by loud chimes and a message telling you to put it in P asap as the Battery wont charge in N.

Lexus certainly don't hold back on their warnings eh!

• 2 weeks later...

About disks warping because of leaving foot on brake... is that fact or myth? - Have you actually come across examples of this?

I have been driving a new GS300h for the past few days while my RX is at the dealer's. It has a wonderful feature called HOLD. Once you have enabled it (button on dash), the car will automatically apply the parking brake when you stop in traffic. You do not need to shift the leaver out of D, or to keep your foot on the brakes, and all you need to do is press the throttle when you are ready to go.

With regards to keeping the parking/hand brake on in the event of being rear ended, views vary on this. If you don't have brakes on, sure you may be propelled into the car in front. From a medical perspective, I believe it is better NOT to have the brakes on as the car's movement will absorb some of the shock and therefore reduce whiplash.

Pros and cons for everything. Police and insurance companies recommend you keep your windows locked. Emergency services recommend you don't lock them to help exit quicker. Fire brigade recommends you keep your internal doors shut to prevent fire propagation... the gas man recommends you keep everything open for the heat to circulate... Who's right... who's wrong...

• 2 weeks later...