Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interesting Discoveries (good & Bad)

Not interesting, but an annoying observation. I think the boot lid should be damped and not fly up and bounce at the top of it's opening range.

David

I have just fitted the boot spoiler (looks great) and the lid now opens in a more damped way. The springs seem to be designed to allow for the extra weight.

Ed :flowers:

• Like 1

i dont own one, but due to the research iv been doing building up to buying one i have found out the following:

Good

* very quite drive

*very comfortable drive

* for a car if its age still fits in with modern day looks

*one of the best looking rev counters

*superb reliability

Bad

* Engine Tuning is very limited

*after market parts can be expensive

*Quite a common car around my area but that isnt always a bad thing.

*didnt come with a v8 engine option from factory

*is300 only came in auto in Europe

* reverse beeping

* the sport model didnt really come with much extra from the standard versions, a deeper tone exhaust, more bhp and possibly a sportier looking body kit from factory would be nice

i dont own one, but due to the research iv been doing building up to buying one i have found out the following:

Good

* very quite drive

*very comfortable drive

* for a car if its age still fits in with modern day looks

*one of the best looking rev counters

*superb reliability

Bad

* Engine Tuning is very limited

*after market parts can be expensive

*Quite a common car around my area but that isnt always a bad thing.

*didnt come with a v8 engine option from factory

*is300 only came in auto in Europe

* reverse beeping

* the sport model didnt really come with much extra from the standard versions, a deeper tone exhaust, more bhp and possibly a sportier looking body kit from factory would be nice

Erm, I think you maybe are posting about the wrong IS version, this forum area and topic are about the current mk3 Lexus Is.....

i feel this shows just how good a 300h is as my grumble with the car is so small,

i wish when you turned the ventillation fan off & back on again the fan speed

would be at the previous setting rather than having to press the fan up button

until the desired speed is set.

• Like 1

should of taken my shower gel into the car before ,i sat in the car with the door open

then suddenly a load of water came off the roof straight onto me bloody freezing it was.

• Like 1

you know what really makes the difference? what makes this make/model stand out above the german companycarmarket?

when driving it it feels just special, exclusive, different.

when looking at it it just looks special, like a study made it into production, from every angle there is a different view

when you take a friend for a spin you see them thinking, looking, trying to understand what is going on underneath the bonnet

you like or loathe the looks, the grille the interior, dash.

the Lexus is not mere traffic not just transport going from A to B it is a car that you have to discover, experience and every time i drive off i find it interesting, fun, i think of ways to improve performance, efficiency etc. even after 6k km i still discover new things

it is my car, my Lexus i like driving it like watching it

( oh oh i hear violins playing maybe a bit over the top with this love letter haha)

• Like 6

Changed the number plates today....

Found out the Lexus factory plates were metal, and car came with pre-drilled fixing screw points. First time I've seen it on a car, normally it's just a self tapping screw. A much neater solution :)

23167382149_f5839ce77b_h.jpg

those sticky pads around the holes are to seal the screws,put some silicon around the holes,locate your plate and fix to car,

when i had a mercedes i had water in the boot wheel well,mercedes found the water had been

spiraling around the screw threads of the number plate screws and then dripped into the boot giving me a pool of water.

the leak was a right bugger to find,it was only when the pressure washer came into force did they find it.

those sticky pads around the holes are to seal the screws,put some silicon around the holes,locate your plate and fix to car,

when i had a mercedes i had water in the boot wheel well,mercedes found the water had been

spiraling around the screw threads of the number plate screws and then dripped into the boot giving me a pool of water.

the leak was a right bugger to find,it was only when the pressure washer came into force did they find it.

Ive taken them off for a few years now - Not had any leaks yet

• Like 1

Changed the number plates today....Found out the Lexus factory plates were metal, and car came with pre-drilled fixing screw points. First time I've seen it on a car, normally it's just a self tapping screw. A much neater solution :)

Toyota have been using proper engineered number plate fixings since at least the mid 90's. Just using a self-tapper into metal is or metal spring clips reminds me of my old Capri. :)

• Like 1

Found out the Lexus factory plates were metal, and car came with

pre-drilled fixing screw points. First time I've seen it on a car,

normally it's just a self tapping screw. A much neater solution :)

The dealer plates on my Fsport were not fitted very welll so I bought new ones and a couple of frames which use the threaded holes.

Lexus%20rear_zpskcu0fuap.jpg

Never ever use screws or bolts for my number plates. I always use adhesive pads, much neater job. If you're in a hurry to take them off the plates will break but, if you take your time, with care and patience you can get them off OK to fix to your next car.

It's getting colder outside now and I've noticed that when I'm driving the car into a colder area, like near a river, the tiny triangular part of the windscreen in front of the camera for AHB and LDA fogs up. This causes the high beam to stay on when I meet cars, not good.

-Tore

Drove the car for the first time after nearly 2 weeks of it sitting idle. Was amazed quickly the engine warmed up and traction Battery recharge. Within about 2 miles of setting off was able to run EV mode. Our old diesel use to take about 10 minutes of warming up before it the heater even started working properly!!

• 2 weeks later...

In snow last weekend in the North East, got a message on the dash asking me to clear the parking radar, and a picture of the car with ice crystals in front of each parking sensor. First time I've seen that!

Also noticed the car DAB radio has FM Linked on Radio2 when the signal dropped out. First car where this has worked correctly.

In snow last weekend in the North East, got a message on the dash asking me to clear the parking radar, and a picture of the car with ice crystals in front of each parking sensor. First time I've seen that!

This happened to me on a hot day last July when I was stuck in a long queue at roadworks and a huge and flthy earth

removal caterpillar went past on a parallel lane covering us all in a thick layer of dust. The inappropriateness of the ice

crystal symbols provided a bit of amusement in an unamusing situation.

• Like 1

First thing in the morning over the last few days, the inside of the screen is misted when I get in the car, so I press the "clear windscreen" button, and it clears fairly quickly. So far so good, but it also blasts cold air out of the top vent at the extreme edge of the dashboard, obviously to clear the side window.

Except the side window ain't fogged, and it's not a very well aimed blast of (at that time!) cold air - it seems most of it hits my face. Unfortunately that vent isn't adjustable.

But I'm happy that this is one of very few niggles I have with the car....................

"Except the side window ain't fogged, and it's not a very well aimed blast of (at that time!) cold air - it seems most of it hits my face. Unfortunately that vent isn't adjustable." Yup, got the same problem with the air hitting my face..

Just found out that if you stand next to the car in the dark with the keys in your pocket the internal lights come on.

It's as if it anticipates your every need.

Okay this may seem basic but it's the first time I have been to it in the dark.

• Like 2

Just found out that if you stand next to the car in the dark with the keys in your pocket the internal lights come on.

It's as if it anticipates your every need.

Okay this may seem basic but it's the first time I have been to it in the dark.

And if you unlock it from a distance at night (with the fob) then the headlights will come on to guide you.

And if you rub it gently, the key fob, not only will the car light up but a nice little cracker will appear in the front seat, ready to carry out your every command.

Best wishes.

Michael.

• Like 1

Not really a discovery nor interesting, and not sure if anyones posted about these..

Bad : Single reverse light only, the 2nd Gen IS which i had previously had twin reverse lights whch was soometie handy for lighting up the rear in the dark,

Moving off in the morning, there is a judder in mevment when the engine kicks in ( perhaos engine cold?), i would have thought the PSD would have smoothed this off..

Rain sensors sometimes get confused

Good - plenty of good points

Not really a discovery nor interesting, and not sure if anyones posted about these..

Bad : Single reverse light only, the 2nd Gen IS which i had previously had twin reverse lights whch was soometie handy for lighting up the rear in the dark,

Moving off in the morning, there is a judder in mevment when the engine kicks in ( perhaos engine cold?), i would have thought the PSD would have smoothed this off..

Rain sensors sometimes get confused

Good - plenty of good points

I agree about the single reverse light. I changed the bulb for a high power LED equivalent which is loads brighter. I haven't noticed any judder on engine kick in on my car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links