Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2007 Gs450h Steering Off Centre....

Hi all, only had my 57 plate GS450h for a few weeks but i'm finding the steering wheel is slightly off centre towards the left when i'm driving in a straight line and there seems to be a very slight oscillation at slower speeds around islands and long bends. I must mention that it was this way on the pre purchase test drive and i knocked the seller down by quite a bit (Private sale, knocked him down by £800!...). At the time i thought it may be a simple wheel alignment issue, but after taking it to have the alignment checked i was amazed to see with my own eyes that everything was spot on, camber, toe etc etc was all perfect!. the car does have a little bit of a transferred warranty left on it but not much, so i'm thinking of getting it to my local lexus dealer asap to see what they say. The car only has 29k on it and has new dunlops all round so i'm stumped on this one. The only thing i've picked up on from some internet research is the electric motor on the power steering being sometimes prone to failure, can anyone shed some more light on this for me, i'd be really grateful as i want to go to the dealer with as much knowledge/ammo as possible. thanks in advance guys.

Hi Ryan,

Your car has VGRS ( Variable gear ratio steering) and by this means that your steering wheel is not actually connected to any steering box or shaft so it can be disconnected from the wheels for example with the toyota tech stream , the original toyota scanner and realign the steering wheel correctly by turn maximum left, maximum right , put it in the center and reconnect again to the wheels , all is done via the scanner . I suppose if you go to a lexus dealer they will be able to this for you . It is quite a simple procedure and it would not take more than 5 minutes. If you have any trip to Essex i can help you with it.

Thanks for the reply Adrian. Took it to lexus Wolverhampton thisafternoon and they pretty much confirmed what you have said, so its booked in for next tuesday to have the work done under warranty, hopefully i'll get her back good to go.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ryan,

Your car has VGRS ( Variable gear ratio steering) and by this means that your steering wheel is not actually connected to any steering box or shaft so it can be disconnected from the wheels for example with the toyota tech stream , the original toyota scanner and realign the steering wheel correctly by turn maximum left, maximum right , put it in the center and reconnect again to the wheels , all is done via the scanner . I suppose if you go to a lexus dealer they will be able to this for you . It is quite a simple procedure and it would not take more than 5 minutes. If you have any trip to Essex i can help you with it.

Adrian, Where about in Essex you are based? Could you help me to get my steering wheel straight?

Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 9/21/2015 at 7:27 PM, silverdevill said:

Thanks for the reply Adrian. Took it to lexus Wolverhampton thisafternoon and they pretty much confirmed what you have said, so its booked in for next tuesday to have the work done under warranty, hopefully i'll get her back good to go.

Mate did you ever get to the bottom of this

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links