Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

my backbox has gone on my gs300. Lexus have quoed 500 for the part. Do I have any other options other than trying to source a secondhand part. Any garages tha you guys recommend near me in the Herts, Beds, Bucks area. Need it sorted quicly as I need the car for work.

Regards Mal.

You could get a whole (from the cat back) custom-built stainless steel exhaust for around that price.

I used Longlife on my last GS300 and they did a great job

http://www.longlife.co.uk

Thanks I'll have a look into them. Was hoping to go oem. Just had a dealer quote me 441 for a backbox. Looks like i may go the stainless steel route. Gonna have o start shopping around.

Longlife , Unit A4 Front, Nup End Business Centre, Knebworth, Hertfordshire SG3 6Q

Thanks I'll be checking them out tomorrow and getting prices. Did you have a good experience. I'm jus worried that I'll end up with a loud backbox. I like my car dead silent.

Might also be worth trying:-

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/

Stainless steel definitely won't be as quiet as OEM

I have to ask, why would a SS system not be as quiet as an OEM system, my LS400 has an OEM stainless steel system and you can't get much quieter than the LS400, surely the noise levels can be accomodated into the required customer requirements of a custom made SS system.

• Like 1

"I have to ask, why would a SS system not be as quiet as an OEM system"

I replaced original exhausts on both a BMW 735 and my last GS300 with custom-made stainless steel and in both cases the ss ones had a higher, tinnier sound ...and yes, I know they quieten down a bit after they get a

carbon coating.

Before I made the change I asked the Longlife guy about extra noise and he said that ss will always be noisier than mild steel.

I still went with ss due to cost issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

right guys I need some advice please. I've got a quote for an oem backbox and longlife backbox. The price difference is a £100 fitted. I'd like to go with longlife but I'm worried about the noise. The longlife guy has said he will chamber both backboxes and they will be quiet. I know the oem will be quiet but it's a £100 more in price. I'm taking the car to a garage today. The guys going to inspect the centre section and also check out the backboxes that he'll be fitting for me if I go the oem route. Really hoping the centre section is in good condition.

Mal.

George, like you I prefer quiet.

Having said that, although the stainless steel exhausts I had fitted were slightly noisier I'd still go for them in future.

• Like 1

right guys I need some advice please. I've got a quote for an oem backbox and longlife backbox. The price difference is a £100 fitted. I'd like to go with longlife but I'm worried about the noise. The longlife guy has said he will chamber both backboxes and they will be quiet. I know the oem will be quiet but it's a £100 more in price. I'm taking the car to a garage today. The guys going to inspect the centre section and also check out the backboxes that he'll be fitting for me if I go the oem route. Really hoping the centre section is in good condition.

Mal.

george for that much difference i would be inclined to stick to oem

• Like 1

Thanks for all you help guys. In the end I went oem. I'm planning to keep the car for at least 3 years and for the sake of £100 it's not worth it. Atleast I know what I'll be ending up with. I'll be picking up the backboxes from lexus tomorrow and my local exhaust centre is going to fit them on for me. Total cost was £450 ouch :(

Once again thanks for all you help was much appreciated.

Regards Mal.

good decision mal

the 430 boxes are also prone to leaking - if i ever need to replace them i will be going down the OEM route

Good call. I bought the gs because it was a quiet drive. I don't want to compromise on that. One thing I am going to do is spray the joints on the system with high temp exhaust spray. Most likely not going to do anything but I've got a can sitting around and it may give the joints a extended life.

Guys just for the record I got the exhaust from lexus for £408 and fitting at my local garage was £36. I reused my chrome exhaust tips and am very happy the cars running as it should again. I'm glad I paid the extra and went for oem.

Stainless steel at longlife was £350

oem was £444

Lexus gave me 20% off the price of the exhaust which was exellent. Had it been £508 I probably would have gone stainless steel route as £200 more was a bit too much.

Hope this helps.

Regards Mal.

• 5 months later...

Just going through the same process on my current GS300 (2006).

Rear exhaust + gaskets, springs, bolts and chrome tips came to £517 from Lexus Parts Direct, Swindon (free delivery).

This was around £100 cheaper than the quote I got from the local main dealer.

I was tempted to go down the stainless steel route again, but I need quiet in my dotage.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, marok said:

Just going through the same process on my current GS300 (2006).

Rear exhaust + gaskets, springs, bolts and chrome tips came to £517 from Lexus Parts Direct, Swindon (free delivery).

This was around £100 cheaper than the quote I got from the local main dealer.

I was tempted to go down the stainless steel route again, but I need quiet in my dotage.

Apologies for the late reply. You can reuse the chrome tips. No need to buy new ones. Just get some chrome Polish on them. With a bit of force they just slide off. I was going to go SS route but really glad I went oem in the end thanks to good advice from here.