Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Must have been one hell of a hill to knock it down by 4 mpg after 12 miles, where was the hill? Everest?!

Hill near batley on Halifax road. Its only a 2 mile stretch but the problem is it has speed cameras so you need to slow down and accelerate again when going upwards!

Must have been one hell of a hill to knock it down by 4 mpg after 12 miles, where was the hill? Everest?!

Hill near batley on Halifax road. Its only a 2 mile stretch but the problem is it has speed cameras so you need to slow down and accelerate again when going upwards!

I find Healey Lane to be damaging for 2 reasons. Firstly, as that particular road is need of repair and has been like that for a few years now. I always slow down, often quite drastically to avoid the various potholes - which results in a relatively short, but slightly embarrassing tailback behind my car. Secondly, irrespective of applying the appropriate amount of throttle, the car doesn't really have a sense of urgency to tackle the ascent. Obviously, I'm not complaining due to the state of the road, but I wouldn't want to drive up there any quicker than 10-15 mph if that.

Unless you want to analyse your consumption in detail, or your driving mix and conditions vary a lot from one tankful

to the next, you can get a convenient and accurate indication of how economically (or not) you are driving from the

range distance figure shown on the multi-information display immediately after refueling to the brim. This tells you,

based on your average consumption, how far you can expect the next 56 litres (=12.3 gals) to take you before the

low-fuel warning comes on leaving you with 10 litres (=2.2 gals) or so still in the tank. Just how satisfactory the

range may be depends entirely on you and your style of driving. As for me, I am disappointed nowadays if I see

less than 950km (=590 miles), which would mean that I have been achieving worse than 17km/l (=48mpg). However,

when I remember that I was customarily seeing a figure closer to 800km (=500 miles) for a consumption of about

14km/l (=40mpg), or worse, when I first had the car, I am today well enough pleased to think that I have learned to

drive it more efficiently than I formerly did.

Since owning my car (4ish weeks) I've only reset the mpg readout twice and can report an average of 47mpg over my weekly commute which consists of 3x160 mile round trips on the motorway and maybe 20 miles in town driving.

My main concern when purchasing was that I'd see significantly less mpg on the motorway vs my 3series, but I'm glad to say that I'm only down by around 6mpg overall.

2015 IS300h Exec edition

I'm definitely happy with it but as others have said, my driving style has changed somewhat. I was following a colleague down the motorway yesterday behind his 2013 3series and I just didn't fancy keeping up and instead sat at 75 while he disappeared into the distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Service guy surprised me during discussion on my disappointing mpg by suggesting it would improve by using Sport for Mway and speedy country driving, Eco in town and Normal for the rest.  Sounded bit counter-intuitive to me as I tend to use Eco on the mway, Normal for the rest and hardly ever use Sport.  

I'm sure the forum will have some advice !

Interesting comment re. improving fuel consumption. I had had IS300H for 18 months and now at 38000 miles. Living on the outskirts of London most of my driving is outer London, M25 and inner London. Fuel economy seems to average between 43 - 45 mpg at best. Yes, a leisurely (if that is the right word) amble around the M25 at 55 -60 mph will see average economy creep up to high 40's, even low 50's. Kinda have the feeling that a longer motorway journey at these speeds would creep up to higher 50's - no more.

My Sunday trip earlier this week up to Birmingham and back netted 46 mpg (at legal speeds)

So today on a regular trip down to our works on the East Sussex coast comprises 10 miles of 50 mph 'B' roads, 35 miles of M25/A21 'A' road and then a further 20 miles of mixed 50/60 'A' road. I usually get 44 - 47 mpg on this trip. Today I did the run down (and return journey) in 'Sport' mode rather than the usual standard or Eco. Trip down read 48.1 mpg average. Return trip was a little slower and hence clocked 49.1 mpg. Obviously the car responded far more lively although I didn't take advantage of this - quite the opposite. The thing that was noticeable was that usually when changing from 50 mph 'A' roads to 70 mph 'A' roads and motorways the fuel consumption usually starts to drop a little. In  'Sport' mode it was starting to increase at 70 -75 mph. Even more significant was that at the end of my return journey in sub 30 mph traffic the average mpg was improving further and had I driven another 3 or 4 miles I'm sure it would have gone over 50 mpg average.

Perhaps part of my 'perception' is down to the fact that mpg recorded is 'average' and not 'instant' mpg. Irrespectively it seems as though I have seen a 'real' 2-3 mpg benefit in 'Sport' mode today

Interesting,  my experience of sport mode is a 2 to 3 mpg reduction in mpg,  though this is usually accompanied by spirited driving. Did you use cruise control to mange the speed? The throttle is so twitchy in Sport it makes it hard to maintain a constant speed on the motorway manually. 

Will give this a go next time too. 

I've mentioned this on another thread, but I recently undertook a long drive from Burton through to Paris and back. I found eco mode a tad counter-intuitive on motorways as to get good economy you should really be getting up to speed as quickly as possible - the long drawn out revs using eco means the engine's working harder to get up to speed. Once you're at speed it really doesn't matter if you're in eco/normal/sport. For me eco makes sense around town as the low speeds don't need a quick change in speed or any really maintenance of speed as it's so changeable around town

With a bit of playing about I find the following to get the best performance:

Town - eco

Motorway - sport into sliproads, normal at roundabouts and cruising.

With a fully packed car and 5 people I averaged 50MPG in the UK and 45MPG in France (most M-ways are 130km/hr limit; which I made use of)

• 1 month later...

My car's done about 3500 in five months or so.
Recently the MPG's got better, warmer weather maybe and being run-in.
Anyway on trip to Mayo and back (400m) averaged 55.9 mpg. Only about 20m on motorway. Rest on dual and single carriageway roads.

Last week drove to Dublin hard (90% motorway). Averaged 49mpg.

Back from Dublin today. Was tired so stuck at 62mph rather than 75.
I was amazed, 58.8 MPG. I think that's extraordinary. I just love everything about this car except that it doesn't have automatic wipers.

On 11/1/2015 at 7:55 PM, L3xu5gt said:

IS250 F Sport mpg

Motorway journey A1 & M11 managed to get a constant 40 on the bar chart read out, however it only goes upto 40!!!

My overall was 46.8 ...... Not bad for a 250?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

According to the computer, I average 45 mpg. But, mpg aside here, how do I get the sat nav to change it's colours to night mode as in the picture above? The Mrs. changed it to day mode permanently (somehow) and it's not to my preference during night driving.

Glad to see MPG is likely to increase over my 220D in the 300H.  Will bare in mind the use of sport on motorways and eco in town.  Will report on mine once it arrives in a few weeks :) 

19 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Glad to see MPG is likely to increase over my 220D in the 300H.  Will bare in mind the use of sport on motorways and eco in town.  Will report on mine once it arrives in a few weeks :) 

Does this mean you've ordered one also Rich?

A few weeks... Lucky you, I've got a delivery date of mid September :wacko:

11 hours ago, tayaste said:

Does this mean you've ordered one also Rich?

A few weeks... Lucky you, I've got a delivery date of mid September :wacko:

Yes I have,  did you order yours with a sunroof by any chance as I was going to but September delivery.  What you going for? 

Did a run to Nottingham from Westcumbria last weekend in my Mk 3 250 ( A66/A1M/M18/M1 ) set off with bags of time to spare so controlled the urge to use it 206 horses and kept under the limit, the computer gave a reading of 43mpg going and after a more urgent return, 38mpg.

Pretty impressive for a 2.5 V6 don't you think.

I brimmed it before the start and knowing the miles covered will fill up on Monday and see what reading I get from that.

D

• Like 1