Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello folks, just got back from my sons wedding in Cyprus and so am catching up with what's been going on here.

Just thought that I would mention my MPG on the trip back from Bournemouth airport. I set off home at about 01.30am and travelled mostly on the A31, A35 and the A30 and, as you can imagine, there was not much traffic on the road at all, I probably saw a couple of dozen cars in total and so very very quiet.

I suppose that my speed varied between 50 and 70 mph but, I was quite surprised at the figure of 45.6 mpg that I achieved. I thought that it might have been somewhat higher than that. I'm not displeased with the figure, just thought it might have been more. The overall distance was about 90 miles.

Any thoughts?

Geoff,

You were driving on mixed roads & not in Hybrid-Mode so your mpg is fine.I find on a 90 Mile Motorway run I get c. 48.5 mpg .

Same journey in Hybrid-Mode c.58 mpg & that stays the same for High-speed Continental runs.

I love swishing around the countryside & dominating Lane 3 but never exceed 75mph & adopt Hybrid-Mode & c. 60 is easily achievable.

Tel

Terry, what do you mean by"non hybrid" mode?

Geoff, the figure quoted, is I assume from the car computer? If so I would expect 50 mpg+ although I have noticed with the slightly collet weather my economy has taken a hit on shorter journeys.

I've just done about 1300miles, and averaging just over 50 on the trip (yes I know not accurate, but it is my reference mark). This on a 40mile commute to work on the a31, a trip to sunny Southend, and another to sunny Bognor Regis. So pretty stable. But I'm used to driving a CVT economically, as I have had one for the last 10 years.

Mode: normal

Going to try Eco for next weeks commute

David.

There is an excellent guide in this Forum that lists the Hybrid driving style that minimises fuel consumption.

I follow the spirit on long runs & see real benefit if I keep to 75mph or below.

Those drivers who religiously stick to the Hybrid Methodology in Eco Mode achieve 60+ mpg.

Coming from an ISF my style & resultant mpg is perfect with Sports treacly smooth mode an added bonus.

Tel

Some of you guys must have very heavy right feet!!

We're getting 60-65mpg on a M-way run. And 45-50 mpg rush hour commuting. I think as the weather cools those numbers will get worse.

18263534072_f1a1fececf_z_d.jpg

35-40 mpg is the sort of economy I use to get out of my old car....and that had 2 extra cylinders + 2 turbos + any extra 150bhp compared to the IS :)

7036224517_562c70bb1e_z_d.jpg

Rayaans, I'm a bit confused, on the thread about nx mpg you posted

"My wife's IS on the other hand got 55mpg on the motorway when brought back from Chester. In town its doing about 45mpg but still, pretty good."

Now it seems you struggle to beat 30mpg?

My 20 mile commute to work is along back country roads and through small villages, ideal for the Hybrid. Some fairly long stretches of 30-40 mph that allows me to coast along in EV.

Currently my record high is 62mpg and I constantly get between 50-55mpg (bear in mind I drive the F-Sport).

However, on one drive home late at night, I managed my lowest at 24mpg. That took some doing, as if you get stuck behind a slower driver, the economy rockets up! :)

On long motorway journeys at 70-75mph I get around 50 - 55mpg.

I have found that when driving along roads at 40-45mph you can coast along in EV mode. When you hit 46, it will bring the engine in. That's when the mpg drops rapidly. Economy starts to increase again, up to 70mph. This would explain why you are getting lower mpg than you were expecting.

It takes a little while to learn how to drive the Hybrid efficiently. Patience and a very gentle right foot (this also includes the brake pedal) all help.

Rayaans, I'm a bit confused, on the thread about nx mpg you posted

"My wife's IS on the other hand got 55mpg on the motorway when brought back from Chester. In town its doing about 45mpg but still, pretty good."

Now it seems you struggle to beat 30mpg?

Yes, on the motorways its fine but the car doesn't get used on the motorways at all pretty much. On Sunday's it does 45mpg in town as it has a relatively long 10 mile trip.

On the school run it only gets 30 mpg, last time I checked it was something like 29.6mpg or something. And that's in Normal mode only, don't really need to use Sport unless I go on the motorway with it.

Well my 40 mile commute with ECo on was an eye openner. With my driving style, I have found it giving a poorer MPG than when on normal, not much, but I'd expect it to had be better the other way, and by a greater margin.

David.

1 year and 25000 miles driving in central, outer London and London suburbs - also using M25 on an almost daily basis and my average mpg is between 42 on a poor day and 47/48 on a good day with 43/43 being fairly typical. I'm sure a constant motorway trip at 55/60 mph would realise mid/upper 50's (if I had the patience to travel at these speeds) Our evening shopping trip is a 6/8 journey with the last part up a fairly hilly road. Mpg will show at about 43 mpg for the outgoing journey. The return 6 mile trip (usually less traffic) on the same road (but now 2 miles of downhill) usually racks-up an average of 62/65 mpg. I am begining to realise that the IS300H perhaps needs a larger capacity hybrid Battery. I'm convinced that mpg would improve further.

@Rayaans

So the car is been used for short school run trips and rarely see the M ways...Sounds like the kind of usage a cheap EV is perfect for.

My fuel costs are the equivalent of a petrol car doing 230 mpg with petrol costing £1.10/L and electricity at 12p per kWh, and that's in city commuting traffic ;).

@Rayaans

So the car is been used for short school run trips and rarely see the M ways...Sounds like the kind of usage a cheap EV is perfect for.

My fuel costs are the equivalent of a petrol car doing 230 mpg with petrol costing £1.10/L and electricity at 12p per kWh, and that's in city commuting traffic ;).

Yeah it's my wife's car but she doesn't like the look of current EVs. And when you consider it only cost me £24k it's much cheaper than a Tesla to buy!!

Me & the Mrs made a 20 mile round trip this morning and when I looked at the info screen in clocks I was astonished to see 77mpg!! The average normally reads around 46mpg. Big achievement!!

Simon

post-11615-0-37446700-1443880465_thumb.j

• Like 1

Spirited drive to the East Coast 46.5 mpg using D & S-Modes. Return trip same until hit very heavy traffic 10 miles from home & for the first time ever glided in Eco to complete the 95 mile commute-----49.5 mpg. Perfect.

Tel

I guess my MPG is not helped by the Bridgestone Turanza's as they had a 'F' economy rating/ 'C' wet weather/ 71 noise rating.

When the time comes I'll go for something like a Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT with a 'C' economy/'A' wet weather/ 68 noise rating.

Those stats seem better for my purposes, I think.

David.