Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Standard "8 Speaker" Audio

Not all DAB is mono and 64kbps!

Listening to Radio 2 for example is much clearer in DAB than FM.

To me the content is ore important than how it is broadcast, DAB lets me listen to stations like Absolute, which again the quality is perfectly acceptable, realistically at 70mph wind noise and tyre roar drown out most imperfections.

Listening to Radio 2 for example is much clearer in DAB than FM.

I agree FM seems to always have a background hiss whereas DAB does not. Bit rates are one thing but so is varying analogue reception at least DAB is either there or not. I only listed to BBC Dab stations so not the ones with the really low bit-rates.

Ed

I have just picked up a loan car without the ML system, and have to admit the difference in sound quality is pronounced between FM and DAB, this time in favour of FM, DAB sounding quite muffled, so I think the difference is more down to the sound system rather than how it is received.

• 1 month later...

maybe we will have inductive charging system one day where you can drive over a charging plate

We could take bets on which happens first. This ^ or hydrogen powered cars :lol:

This is coming soon as the systems are already in development. We are also developing self-alignment so the car will proition itself accurately over the plate. 3-4 years away...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Up to a week ago I had an IS250 with ML music system. I've just changed to an IS250C with the Pioneer unit and 11 speakers (I think ?).

I only listen to CDs or Radio 4, so the DAB vs FM doesn't really affect me.

I don't detect a difference of enjoyment between the old ML system and this one. More than adequate for the noisy environment of a car.

I must add that I'm a little fussy where music playback is concerned as I have a dedicated listening room at home with a very competent HiFi system.

In summary, I wouldn't pay the extra for the ML system in a heavily compromised car environment.

Up to a week ago I had an IS250 with ML music system. I've just changed to an IS250C with the Pioneer unit and 11 speakers (I think ?).

I don't detect a difference of enjoyment between the old ML system and this one. More than adequate for the noisy environment of a car.

I must add that I'm a little fussy where music playback is concerned as I have a dedicated listening room at home with a very competent HiFi system.

In summary, I wouldn't pay the extra for the ML system in a heavily compromised car environment.

I think if I'm not mistaken the 11 speaker system in the 2nd gen IS is still widely regarded as a very good system, whereas there is a bigger difference between the ML system in the 3rd gen and the 8 speaker system everyone is mentioning which doesn't even have a sub?

I think if I'm not mistaken the 11 speaker system in the 2nd gen IS is still widely regarded as a very good system, whereas there is a bigger difference between the ML system in the 3rd gen and the 8 speaker system everyone is mentioning which doesn't even have a sub?

Nope, wrong end of the stick.

There's less difference between the Panasonic 8 speaker setup and the 15 speaker ML setup in this generation in terms of actual sound.

The 8 speaker setup does have a sub on the rear parcel shelf.

Hang on am I getting confused here?

Is the 8 speaker one the standard option in the 3rd gen IS or is there a Pioneer one too?

I'm sure I had a look at a friend's executive edition and I couldn't find a sub?

8 speaker is only with premium navigation. Executive as standard has business nav and 6 speaker set up. The 8 speaker does have a sub, 6 speaker does not. I listened to two systems abck to back, teh 8 speaker and the ML and on DAB, Bluetooth and Radio i could not tell much if any difference, only with CD and ipod plugged it could the ML be said to have a bit more clarity, but this was in a statioary car with no noise, on the move the difference is probably less noticable,

Personally i stayed with the 8 speaker and the grand in my pocket, espeically as i nearly never use CDs. But i guess its comes down to personal choice, or just to have the best on offer.Both 6 and 8 speaker systems are from panasonic according to the the dealer.

Is the 8 speaker one the standard option in the 3rd gen IS or is there a Pioneer one too?

I'm sure I had a look at a friend's executive edition and I couldn't find a sub?

Executive has 6 speakers with an empty parcel shelf housing. The premium nav gets 8 speakers although I can't remember whether it's a Panasonic or pioneer sound system.

Id say it's more likely to be pioneer

I've got the Advancr which has the standard 6 speaker set up, what is it that's sitting on the parcel shelf then? Is it like a dummy unit? What's the point in that!

Yes, I think it is a dummy unit - the good thing being, that if you do want a sub, you can just stick one in there!

I think its just a way of cost-cutting on the production line - its easier to make one parcel shelf and not fill it with a subwoofer than making two variants for different trim levels.

I've got the Advancr which has the standard 6 speaker set up, what is it that's sitting on the parcel shelf then? Is it like a dummy unit? What's the point in that!

Yes, I think it is a dummy unit - the good thing being, that if you do want a sub, you can just stick one in there!

I think its just a way of cost-cutting on the production line - its easier to make one parcel shelf and not fill it with a subwoofer than making two variants for different trim levels.

Good point, I plan to do exactly that!

Toyota/Lexus have used Pioneer audio systems for years. The Nav is Pioneer so the audio system will probably be as well - it may even be an all-in-one unit.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-21 at 12.30.55.png

Yes except Im sure the CT uses a panasonic system

Executive has 6 speakers with an empty parcel shelf housing. The premium nav gets 8 speakers although I can't remember whether it's a Panasonic or pioneer sound system.

Must have been the 6 speaker set up I was thinking of then - phew, thought I was going mad!

Just ordered myself a subwoofer, small one to go in the boot. Considered sticking it in the empty housing but speaking to an expert said it would be a much more expensive job requiring a lot of stripping and extra sound proofing. Feel the 6 speaker set up could do with a bit more to it. Might change out the speakers eventually!

I was told by the dealer that the 8 speaker set up was Pansonic on the IS. But, how often do dealers actually know what they are talking about, could very well be pioneer. No matter either way its a decent unit for sure.

I was told by the dealer that the 8 speaker set up was Pansonic on the IS. But, how often do dealers actually know what they are talking about, could very well be pioneer. No matter either way its a decent unit for sure.

The dealers aren't as educated about these things other than just the basics. I could probably get a job there with no sales experience and know more about the cars than they do.

the IS system is pioneer. Im pretty sure the CT uses panasonic. The upper models including RX and GS also use pioneer for their 12 speaker systems

So today I had a small subwoofer installed into the boot of the car, slots perfectly in the groove deep in the boot, had an audio company do it and what a huge difference it has made to the 6 speaker set up, much needed boost and richness to the sound. Still plenty of room left for my things!