Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

Does anyone here know how much approx., Lexus charge to change Transmission Fluid ( oil? )?

Just wondering...

And how often it should be done?

Regards.

Hi PCM,

Me and the missus changed ours out a few weekends ago, took about an hour and required simple tools (10mm socket and pair of pliers). If I wasn't mechanically inclined a mobile mechanic could do this easy for you at little cost for labour.

We drained approx 7.25 litres into used 5 Litre empty engine oil containers, then filled it up with 7.25 Litres of fresh Toyota ATF fluid.

I would recommend it is done at least at 100,000 miles, ours looked nasty at 108k when we did it!

I think 2 x 5 Litre containers of Toyota type IV ATF was around £25 all in, and the left overs should be enough to change the horrible molasses looking power steering fluid too! May as well get both done at the same time...

• Like 1

Hello PCM

I had the ATF fluid on my RX 300 changed at about the 9 year mark. Independent garage charged an hour labour plus the fluid, no need to pay Lexus rates for such a routine job. I do not know when Lexus recommend the job be done, I just felt it was sensible maintenance.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I think 2 x 5 Litre containers of Toyota type IV ATF was around £25 all in

If that's the price in the UK these days then I would do a pan drain and fill every two years after the vehicle reaches 60k miles to keep the fluid in good heath.

A standard drain and fill only replaces about 1/3 of all the fluid in the transmission which is why I'd recommend doing that every 20k miles/2 years.

The last time I purchased some Toyota T-IV, which was a number of years ago, it was something like £60 for 5 litres so I'd change it less frequently.

• Like 1

Hi piers, yup, a weak cherry red that smells oily...

If it's very dark brown and smells burnt, it needs to be changed asap.

If it's just brown and smells oily, that's normal after a few years of being in!

• Like 1

Hi Colin, just dug out my receipt, it was £45 for 2 x 5 Litres, my mistake.

Hi Chris,

can I be cheeky and ask where you got your Type iv from, cost me 58 quid for 5 litres from Toyota Dealer less than A year ago! ( £63.96 for 5l on eBay )

Cheers Jason

Hi Jason,

I got mine from my local Toyota dealer parts counter, if you are nice and a bit cheeky, you can swing a discount on pretty much anything you buy from them (they tend to offer more discount, the more you get in one hit).

Usually they have a "buy 3 service items, get 4th item free" deal on as well.

Every few weeks you can usually get 5L of oil for £15 which I think is good and I paid £20 for 20L of concentrated Red coolant recently.

The more you use them, they'll get to recognise you and can be a useful source of info.

It's also worth you getting them to start an account (they need your name, number plate & address), over time they can automatically apply your discounts to the account to save you having to ask each time.

Yup, that looks pretty good, I'd say you are ok at least for another year or two, as long as doesn't smell burnt, you're all good! :)

In the end I decided to replace it. I figured if it's in a year or two, I might as well get the benefit now...

I took it to JAPEX in Kings Langley ( who get good write ups on this forum ) who were excellent!

They reckoned it had never been changed. So although it was 'sort of ok', it was ripe for a change.

Driving home I COULD tell the difference.

[ Got my air filter changed as well ]

I think sometimes the Lexus service scheduled are a little vague. I wish they said, change this at this time, not ... if necessary.

• Like 1

Replacing vital fluids (with the correct types, of course!) is never going to hurt your car, just getting the balance right to save your wallet! :)

Agree!

If I was planning on keeping the RX for one more year, I would not have bothered, as the fluid looked 'ok'.

But as the plan is for 3 ( hope an RX can last that long? My Soarer did ), then I thought, get the benefit now...

( I have noticed the difference )

[ I also had my front and rear diff oils checked - they were fine ]

Japex did a great job.

"... and the left overs should be enough to change the horrible molasses looking power steering fluid too! May as well get both done at the same time..."

Steering fluid. Another fluid to think about!