Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Early Ls430 Suspension

I thought the coil spring suspension was only offered on early LS430s in the USA.

On the US club lexus site the coil suspension is retro fitted to the second iteration of the LS430s ['04 to '06] as a cheap solution to failed air suspension.

Has anyone done that in this country?

I thought the coil spring suspension was only offered on early LS430s in the USA.

On the US club lexus site the coil suspension is retro fitted to the second iteration of the LS430s ['04 to '06] as a cheap solution to failed air suspension.

Has anyone done that in this country?

Yes, somebody on this forum did the conversion, using parts from the US I believe, can't remember who though, sorry.

Michael, thanks for finding that thread.

Unfortunately the conversion therein used an eBay coilover kit and not OEM parts for an early LS430.

I would only modify my '04 LS430 if I could use Lexus parts and repeat a different version of the same model.

I have been assured on the US Clublexus site that a retro change over is straightforward [ they give the part numbers and they are available from various suppliers over there] but the doubt lingers in my mind as to whether the UK spec cars might be different.

Just to finish my line of thought on changing air to metal suspension. As we now believe the early LS430s were offered in this country with coil springs then part numbers for UK cars must exist and the components presumably be available.

I am surprised no one has gone down this route.

My '04 car with 83k miles is OK for now but I want to know which way to jump when the air fails.

My '95 LS400 and '06 RX350 SE have traditional metal and air offers me no advantage whatsoever.

My understanding is that 430s were originally offered without the 'comfort pack' that included air suspension and other goodies, but only for about a year - which is why most don't have springs.

I do think it's odd that a prestige car manufacturer made such troublesome suspension when my Citroen Xantias went on for years without springs. I had to have the spheres replaced, but that wasn't very expensive and the car still ran, although it got very bumpy. I still miss the lovely floating ride quality, which my 400 can't match - although of course the car is superior in every other way.

Just to finish my line of thought on changing air to metal suspension. As we now believe the early LS430s were offered in this country with coil springs then part numbers for UK cars must exist and the components presumably be available.

I am surprised no one has gone down this route.

My '04 car with 83k miles is OK for now but I want to know which way to jump when the air fails.

My '95 LS400 and '06 RX350 SE have traditional metal and air offers me no advantage whatsoever.

I think you might be less surprised, should you get the required part numbers, when Lexus tell you the price.

My guess would be somewhere north of £2K, to supply and fit, but you never know you're luck.

If you will only accept genuine parts, I would have thought a visit to the Lexus parts counter was your best course of action?

Please let us know if you do find out.

Michael, the cost you mention would be about half that of renewing all four corners with air struts depending on the state of the ride height sensors [£300 approx. each].

In the US someone has removed the redundant compressor and sold it for spares defraying the cost of the change over.

If it could be done for half cost with Lexus parts that would be worth while for me especially to end up with what I would consider a superior car. A floaty ride for me means motion sickness.

Jake at Lexuspartsdirect.co.uk is hopefully to email me back on this.

lexus nailed it with the mark 4 and clearly as we have seen prices for these have risen and those in the know-how are holding onto them.

the ls430 in the other hand is not quite as desirable now that they are ageing. Clearly suspension faults, steering motors and radiator/gearbox are very expensive repairs which puts potential buyers off. the seats dont wear aswell as the 400s and all too often you see quite new cars heading off to the scrapper.

I dont know why lexus bothered with the air suspension.

my 430 will never been as smooth as my mark 4 but apart from that i love the car and touchwood it has been perfect the 3 years i have had it. I know and am prepared for the fact that one day i might be landed with a big bill

My mechanic, who knows all there is to know about Toyotas and Lexuses, says the same thing. He likes the 430 but says the biggest mistake Lexus made was to fit it with air suspension. Maybe they felt they had to make the car more exciting than the 400 and so fitted it with toys that looked great in the showroom but weren't designed to last. (The same could perhaps be said of most cars today?)

I asked if that if that suspension would fit a 2004 model and was told it wouldn't and need make adjustments . I just think it's just a way of the dealer trying to make money of us as they also said coilovers wouldn't work but we all know they do.

A problematic aspect of making such a change for me is that of insurance.

We are all obliged to tell our insurer of any changes to the stock model and a different suspension system will surely count as a substantial change allowing the insurer to walk away in the event of an accident.

I wonder if any of those who have fitted coilover kits off eBay have advised their insurers.

Putting myself in the shoes of an insurer I would not provide cover for any such modification because the risk cannot be assessed.

I nearly bought an LS430 with springs (no comfort pack) 51 reg from memory about a year ago from a dealer near Chester, so they do exist in this country. My air suspension is OK at the moment (touch wood) but if it gives me problems I will fit springs and shocks. Having measured the struts on both of my cars, LS400 & LS430, it looks to me as if you can probably fit LS400 struts on to an LS430. I will look into this further...

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My 430 is a non premium pack car so on springs.

The premium pack had air suspension, rear aircon and fridge and parking sensors and was an additional £5k back in 2001

I'm Very glad mine is a non premium pack car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links