Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Servicing

I am having a bit of a job getting my head around the servicing aspect of owning my car.

We all know that if we buy or sell our cars, it is always beneficial if it comes with a full Lexus Service History. With that in mind, I put in place a service plan for my car which gives 3 services over the next 3 years. As you know, these plans are not cheap.

I purchased my car when it was 13months old and it had already had its first service. It is now approaching its second birthday and obviously the next service (the first one using my plan) is also about to become due.

Off the top of my head, the first years service would generally be at about 10k to 12k miles and the second would fall at about 20k to 24k miles, I don't think that I will be far out with those figures.

Now comes the bit where I have a job getting my head around things. I've already said that my car is approaching its second birthday and its second service but, my car currently has only 6000miles on the clock. What service will they do and am I wasting money? If I don't continue with the service plan, it won't be such an attractive buy if and when I decide to sell it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or is anyone else in a similar situation?

Its on a "first come" basis. So, if you hit 10k/12k miles before the date, you get the car serviced.

If you hit the date before you hit the 10k/12k miles, you get the car serviced.

You're not exactly wasting money as they will still do the same things at 6k that they would have done at 10k

Also, things like brake fluid degrade over time so that'll be changed out every 2 years. I guess its somewhat better to get the car serviced every year if you're doing low miles anyway as you have more potential problems.

I don't think this is any different to other cars: x miles or 1 year, whatever comes first.

There are variances where some cars require servicing every 10k, 15k or even 20k, and 12, 18 or 24 months, but the principle is the same.

Some service intervals, as set by the manufacturers, are a little arbitrary though. I had a 2.0 TDI SEAT some years ago. Service interval was 1 year, but 2 years for a VW with exactly the same engine.

quote from lexus "you should arrange for your lexus to be serviced within 500 miles or 28 days

of the period of when your routine service is due."

if you do take advantage of the period of grace lexus provides, you only need to have the IS serviced every 13 months.

I'm really interested in buying a 300h but what is putting me off is the price of servicing. I spoke with the service dept and was told the 1st service was around £250 and the second around £450. When I asked what actually gets done and what actually gets changed the service guy got a bit defensive. The only thing that gets actually changed on the first service is the oil and filter. The rest is just checks. I asked what gets changed on the second more expensive service and was told it was again just the oil and filter and they check extra things they don't check on the 1st service! I asked when the brake fluid and air filter gets changed and was told its dependendent on mileage and is extra.

I know dealerships need to make money but these prices are very high for what is basically just a oil and filter change.

The fixed price servicing for 5yr and older cars seems to have more things actually changed for less than half the price.

I've had 3 services in 14mths/37k miles. I can check the paperwork, but I think the following was done.

Oil and filter at each service

Brake fluid at 2nd one.

Air filter and pollen filter at 3rd definitely, might be at others.

Hybrid health check and vehicle condition check at each one.

Any software updates.

Wash and vac.

I think spark plugs and brake fluid plus above at the fourth one.

No wonder they are so reliable given the work done and frequency, but glad I'm not paying.

The Lexus web site has the details of exactly what is performed on the services. It is very expensive, Lexus have enforced price increases to their dealers who now all officially quote the same price.

It seems to be an issue for Lexus compared to the competition. Only a few years ago Lexus were actively promoting the fact that hybrids cost less to run, now they are charging bordering on obscene prices. £120+ labour rates and huge markup on oil are the two main costs of a service.

Yes just checked online and it is all shown. More or less as described. Oil change at every one, brake fluid every 2yrs, air filter as required, spark plugs and diff oil at 5yrs/60k.

Prices are higher but mostly fixed unless they find something extra wrong. Previously I've had similar priced services from non premium brands once they included all the extra things. The myth of hybrid servicing does seem busted, but at 37k miles, the tyres and brakes were barely run in.

Yes, I thought the CT200 servicing was a bit OTT, but the cost of IS servicing will be a factor in my decision to change.

As I pay for my own servicing and cover 15-20K a year then that's a big consideration, especially when BMW offer cheap service packages that get cheaper as soon as the car is 3 and have longer service intervals

I'm currently running a Jaguar XJ but was looking to move away from diesel and the only petrol that interested me was the hybrid is300h. I have my Xj serviced at a Jaguar independent and the services go a and b. A service is oil oil filter airfilter pollen filter and new wiper blades cost is £180 b service is all the above and a fuel filter and brake fluid change cost is £250. I nearly bought an infinity hybrid and the same thing (servicing costs) where nothing except oil and filter is changed put me off that. I genuinely think a lot of people just pay and don't understand that the majority of the servicing is just visual checks. The cost of airfilters and such is so low you would think they would change them every service that would at least make it slightly more palatable.

Further to my original post. My concerns revolve around, will they actually do what they are supposed to do at each service and, how can I be sure that they will have done what they say they have done. For instance, at only 6K on the clock at the second year service, the oil won't be dirty and neither will the brake fluid and filters.

You can see where I'm coming from can't you!

Further to my original post. My concerns revolve around, will they actually do what they are supposed to do at each service and, how can I be sure that they will have done what they say they have done. For instance, at only 6K on the clock at the second year service, the oil won't be dirty and neither will the brake fluid and filters.

Even though you've got really low miles I would still have the oil changed as it can breakdown over 12 mths and as you are doing really low mileage believe it or not your engine wear may be the same as a higher mileage car if you are doing a lot of short journeys were the engine doesn't get up to temp. Also it would preserve your warranty on the engine. Your brake fluid wouldn't need changing infact most brake fluid doesn't need changing every 2 years. You can buy a brake fluid tester for £10 that checks the moisture in the fluid and tells you if it needs changing. Most dealers don't even bleed the fluid through the bleed nipples they just use a pump to suck it out of the top of the master cylinder. The guys who service cars in some dealerships aren't even mechanics they are technicians who just do the basic servicing. The other things on your car will just be visually checked. Infact a mot that costs £45 is a more robust check of your car as the brakes are tested on a rolling road, emissions on a machine,lights are tested using a device for alignment.

Bluenose1940, I sort of agree with you about the costs being high, I have signed up for a 3 year package on the purchase of mine.

But I look at it as an investment which is reflected in reduced depreciation as luxury cars that are less than 5 years old are expected to have full dealer service history.

But brake fluid should only be changed on it being contaminated not just because it is 2 or 3 years old.

When you use your brakes the fluid is drawn from the reservoir it pulls in air with contaminants & moisture.

Then when you release the fluid travels back pushing the air back out.

But with hybrids used much less hydraulic braking this transfer should be much less, so I would be very surprised to see brake fluid needing to be changed earlier than 4 or 5 years.

It can be tested & monitored as can engine oil, but as with start stop engines the oil can be contaminated quickly as it is not run constantly creating heat which helps to reduce the water carried by the oil.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The 3 year packages are always cheaper than the standalone price, I paid £990 for my RX which works out cheaper by £200 odd as I paid for the first service myself, therefore need 2 majors and a minor. Mine also has other things included so free full valet every year, 10% off parts, free car for special occasions every year etc etc. I also got one free MOT.

The cost of servicing IMO isn't that bad - people get quoted one figure and they don't haggle the price down. The first service I was told £245. I walked out the door and paid £200. Even Kwik Fit charge that mutch on an RX with a managers discount!!

If you look at BMW servicing for example, its £475 for 5 years but they'll charge you an arm and a leg for everything else.

And if you look closely, the BMW has 2 year service intervals/25k miles or so, so you only get 2 services for £237.50 each. I can't really see 2 year/25k miles-ish (mileage varies on how car is driven) being good for the engine in all honesty.

I would have thought BMW makes tonnes of profit just due to the sheer number of 3 series around in servicing anyway. Lexus can't play that trick as cars are few and far between so they have to charge a greater premium.

After 5 years you can get Lexus Essential Care servicing which is cheaper anyway.

Im pretty sure the Lexus services include things like regreasing the door hinges, tightening the chassis bolts etc etc

All main dealer servicing is a rip off, BMW, Lexus, Honda, Nissan, they are all the same.

Actual work required for an oil service you can do on your drive for £50 of oil and price of the filter.

I don't use main dealer for any work on any of our cars regardless of warranty/age. I rather see my £££ support the local mechanic down the street than pay for 'free' coffee and a fancy show room.

At the end of the day these things are just cars, strip away the badge and they are all the same - The hybrid drivetrain is a none service item, and the hybrid 'report' is not worth the paper its printed on. At less than 1.7 kWh the Battery on the IS300H is tiny, and not worth worrying about interms of 'health'. Quite frankly because the whole system is 'sealed' you cannot do anything about it anyways.

All main dealer servicing is a rip off, BMW, Lexus, Honda, Nissan, they are all the same.

Actual work required for an oil service you can do on your drive for £50 of oil and price of the filter.

I don't use main dealer for any work on any of our cars regardless of warranty/age. I rather see my £££ support the local mechanic down the street than pay for 'free' coffee and a fancy show room.

At the end of the day these things are just cars, strip away the badge and they are all the same - The hybrid drivetrain is a none service item, and the hybrid 'report' is not worth the paper its printed on. At less than 1.7 kWh the battery on the IS300H is tiny, and not worth worrying about interms of 'health'. Quite frankly because the whole system is 'sealed' you cannot do anything about it anyways.

The local mechanic charges the same prices anyway though. I've got £280 quotes for my RX if taking it to a half decent place for a service. Most mechanics make a chunk of profit regardless and I bet i'd get a car back thats got dirt all over it which would cost me 2 hours for a wash. Its cheaper to go to a Lexus dealer when you think of it like that.

^^ That's because you haven't become best mates with your local garage....4 years of BMW ownership means I see the guys at the local garage more than close friends :)

Though I haven't seen them so much recently...But I wouldn't trust any main dealers to work on any of our cars, BMW Sytner at Leicester even nearly managed to bugger up a factory recall. A Honda main dealer didn't seal a gear box properly after a warranty fix, and took two visits to work out how to change a fuse - despite me telling them what to do.

What ever the badge/brand they are all a bunch of Cowboys who care more about grabbing the ££ from your pocket than the actual cars, I honestly would pay MORE to a good trusted independent than ANY main dealer.

Servicing is a big concern to me, I am expecting to do about 20,000 miles, which effectively is 2 services at nearly £700 a year, my previous diesel 4x4 auto cost me about £250 a year and that was far more complex in terms of servicing. I know the services can be extended to 12,500 which helps, but still unsure what to do, whenever the car has been into lexus it always comes back with dirt marks on the leather, and generally I feel their care and ability to look after the car for basic servicing is no better than a good independent, but for the same of a couple of thousand pounds over the life of the car, to maintain full dealer history it could be worth it.

At last some sense in this thread !!!

There is a lot of mis-information in this thread, particularly about brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning that unless its sealed in a container(even then it will degrade) then it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. It has nothing to do with how often you use your brakes. Also i'd love to see somebody replace it all and get air out just via the master cylinder :unsure:

At the end of the day all main dealer servicing is a rip off. The interim service parts and consumables probably cost no more than £40 at dealer cost prices and then they supposedly do a load of checks. If you think those checks are worth another £100 - £200 then please let me know what profession you're in so that I can change career path !!!

If you're not interested or can't do servicing yourself (most likely because you want to maintain the warranty) then the best option is to find a good local independent garage, and as Ganzoom says try to build up a relationship with them. Unfortunately they are unlikely to know any of the common failures on a car as rare as a Lexus until they are many years older, a Lexus garage will have the back up of the whole network and Toyota corporate to guide them on things to look out for. However again is that really worth the extra £100 to £200 on top of what they 'have' to do?

Back to the OP's point I think the main driver for you will most likely be trying to maintain the warranty so you will need to get a stamp in the book at the right mileage or age.

This is what I said at #11

I'm not overly concerned with the cost, more with the thoughts of "will they change the oil" because when I check mine at the moment, which I do regularly by the way, it is clean and will they think the same at service time and not bother (saving them a bit more cash) I won't be able to tell just by looking as it will look exactly as it does now. A few of our members have described some of the dealers as 'rip-off merchants' this in some way reinforces my thoughts, will they do what they're supposed to do!

I particuarly want to get it serviced at the correct times for the reasons already stated.

I don't do many what I would call short trips of 3 or 4 miles, Most of my trips generally fall into the 25mile to 60mile or more type of journey. Most of our short trips, to town and back, are usually in my wifes fiesta.

This is what I said at #11

I'm not overly concerned with the cost, more with the thoughts of "will they change the oil" because when I check mine at the moment, which I do regularly by the way, it is clean and will they think the same at service time and not bother (saving them a bit more cash) I won't be able to tell just by looking as it will look exactly as it does now. A few of our members have described some of the dealers as 'rip-off merchants' this in some way reinforces my thoughts, will they do what they're supposed to do!

I particuarly want to get it serviced at the correct times for the reasons already stated.

I don't do many what I would call short trips of 3 or 4 miles, Most of my trips generally fall into the 25mile to 60mile or more type of journey. Most of our short trips, to town and back, are usually in my wifes fiesta.

There's no way they won't change the oil and the oil filter as the service schedule on these items are set at mileage or 12 mths whatever comes first. It will also be on your paperwork what they have done.

My car is on a Service Plan & I have only done c.8K miles in 2 years & my Technicians are expert in the Product.

In year 1 I visited France & Switzerland & in year 2 France & Italy so low milage per say is not an issue @ all.

Tel

bluenose - if you are concerned if they will actually do the work advertised, then you could do some simple checks yourself, such as marking the oil caps/filter/sump plug to see if they are removing/changing them etc.

However, given the nature of Lexus and their dealer network, I don't see why they wouldn't do the work paid for. They are charging premium price and have a reputation as the best dealer network, so why would they jeopardise it? It is more likely to be the behaviour of someone working on very tight margins and trying to squeeze every last drop of cost out, but with big risk.

I have been victim in the past to "discovered" items added to the bill - such as a failed headlamp bulb - where the claim was it failed with them and they had to replace it; and suspicion of missed items which they claimed they did, so I know what you mean, but these instances happened to me an independent franchise network and one I wouldn't use again if they paid me!

It comes down to how much you trust the people/companies/brands involved and whether you are prepared to pay for it.

I used to do a lot of maintenance myself when a poor student, I've also been in at main dealer networks and the KwikFits of this world too. I know people who work in the main dealer networks too and some of what I've heard happens is questionable if customer or joe public found out, but sometimes ignorance is bliss and I'm sure in any industry if you push hard enough you would find something you weren't happy with.

My car is off to Lexus today to have the rear shocks replaced under warranty. The car was collected from my door by a lexus coated man and I trust they will do what is needed and bring the car back, but without taking the wheels off and looking under the car I don't think I will be able to tell the work done is done right and completely. I trust they will do their best and if something is wrong I'll go back.

At last some sense in this thread !!!

There is a lot of mis-information in this thread, particularly about brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning that unless its sealed in a container(even then it will degrade) then it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. It has nothing to do with how often you use your brakes. Also i'd love to see somebody replace it all and get air out just via the master cylinder :unsure:

At the end of the day all main dealer servicing is a rip off. The interim service parts and consumables probably cost no more than £40 at dealer cost prices and then they supposedly do a load of checks. If you think those checks are worth another £100 - £200 then please let me know what profession you're in so that I can change career path !!!

If you're not interested or can't do servicing yourself (most likely because you want to maintain the warranty) then the best option is to find a good local independent garage, and as Ganzoom says try to build up a relationship with them. Unfortunately they are unlikely to know any of the common failures on a car as rare as a Lexus until they are many years older, a Lexus garage will have the back up of the whole network and Toyota corporate to guide them on things to look out for. However again is that really worth the extra £100 to £200 on top of what they 'have' to do?

Back to the OP's point I think the main driver for you will most likely be trying to maintain the warranty so you will need to get a stamp in the book at the right mileage or age.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, but you are totally wrong regarding it going off in a sealed container!

It certainly does have its life & contamination affected by its use, the 2 years in an average life based on 24000 miles of use.

Not sure what your back ground is but your not from a servicing back ground.

If you Don't know about something fully keep quiet!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links